"Fingerprint hardware not available" on Galaxy Note 4 [not supported]

2»

Comments

• aabusoglu
    aabusoglu
    Community Member

I installed roboform password manager on my note 4 (android 6.0.1) and this program accepted my fingerprint for login. I think Roboform developed a standard that is different from google's nexus imprint standard. Therefore I don't need to contact Samsung. If you want to develope a standart like roboform password manager, you can do it. Problem is not Samsung but you are.

• Hi @aabusoglu. I'd like to explain the requirements for Fingerprint Unlock and how fingerprint scanners are implemented on Android.

1Password's Fingerprint Unlock in 1Password requires the fingerprint framework available in Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Right now, support for it is limited as this is the first time fingerprint authentication is supported natively in the Android OS.

Before Marshmallow, fingerprint scanners were implemented separately on top of older Android versions and specific to each manufacturer's own guidelines. That means Samsung also has their own implementation of fingerprint authentication in the Note 4-- Samsung Pass. which we would need to use to implement Fingerprint Unlock on those device.

When Google announced native support for fingerprint scanner in Android, it meant that we could support upcoming devices with just one implementation of Fingerprint Unlock, rather than having to write specific code for each device manufacturer. Even more importantly, we were able to provide this feature without sacrificing security.

Because 1Password uses the fingerprint framework available in Android Marshmallow, manufacturers updating existing devices need to also support their fingerprint hardware with the framework available in the new version of Android. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Samsung is doing this with the Note 4, but our team is going to look into this further and see if there is anything we can do here.

I hope this clarifies things a bit with regards to Fingerprint Unlock. Let us know if you need anything else!

• HorFrost
    HorFrost
    Community Member

I'm so frustrated with the stupid things that Samsung does that I will not buy their products anymore!

• Many aspects of the Android OS have historically been left up to individual manufacturers, which is why there are so many differences between devices. In many ways it's awesome to have such diversity, but it makes it difficult to implement new features, too. :D It looks like we're heading toward having more cohesion, which will be great moving forward.

• aabusoglu
    aabusoglu
    Community Member

Hi @peri. I understand you and Samsung. Thank you very much for detailed explanation. I think Samsung wants us to buy new products but I will not buy. Because I think some software manufacturers (I tried roboform and safe incloud succesfully) wrote specific codes for Samsung. In this case, I will use these programs instead of 1password until the day 1password will support Note 4.

• No problem at all! I'm sorry to see you go, but if you decide to give 1Password another try in the future, we'll be here to help with anything you need!

• aabusoglu
    aabusoglu
    Community Member

Now, I am using 1password for only computer logins. Because your sofware is good designed and I am get used to it :). For only phone, I am using another software.

• I'm glad to hear that you're still happy with 1Password on your desktop! If Samsung decides to use the Marshmallow fingerprint framework, or if you upgrade to a new device with Fingerprint Unlock available in the future, we'd love to see you back! Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.