Proper IOS settings for synchronizing in Families

4dickeys
4dickeys
Community Member

Just switched to Families and trying to make sure Sync is set up correctly. With the original version of 1Password I was using Dropbox but I understand Families synchronizes with AgileBits servers. The only sync options I have in IOS is Dropbox, iCloud or WiFi. I don't want any of those so should I "Disable Sync"?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync families on ios

Comments

• Hi @4dickeys,

Correct; 1Password Families does not store your data on Dropbox or iCloud. You can learn about how to sign into your 1Password account here:

Get started with a family or team account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• 4dickeys
    4dickeys
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. Yeah, we've converted the whole family across multiple devices (computers, phones, iPads) to Families. The IOS version has a Sync feature under "Settings" and the only choices are Dropbox, iCloud, WiFi or disable Sync. Since I know Families doesn't use the first three, do I disable Sync?

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @4dickeys ,
    Seeing as how the North American continent is asleep right now, I may be able to answer your question on behalf of the AgileBits staff.
    If you wish, you may indeed set the sync settings in 1Password to "None". However, you may also choose Dropbox or iCloud to additionally synchronise your Primary and Secondary vaults. There is also the option of synchronising these vaults between local devices via WiFi.
    Full instructions for synchronising local vaults can be found here.

I hope this helps, otherwise please feel free to request more information. There is always someone around to help.

Cheers,
    Rob
    ● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rjh: Don't count us all out. hehe ;)

@4dickeys: I actually use a few sync methods myself in addition to 1Password Families (and Teams), but I have to say that it isn't something I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't have a very specific reason for doing so. One of the nicest things about 1Password Families is the simplicity, especially setup, and I can tell you from experience that setting up a new device with my arrangement here is not a great experience.

So I guess the short answer is that if all of the vaults you need to access on your device are from 1Password Families (Personal, Shared, etc.), disabling sync settings will be the way to go. If you have local vaults that need sorting out, let us know and we can walk you through getting things arranged in a simpler fashion. Don't be like me! :lol:

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @brenty ,
    You're either up and about very early, or you're not in the same time zone as your employers!
    Good Morning!!

Rob

• 4dickeys
    4dickeys
    Community Member

Simple is good! We just have the 1 Personal and 1 Shared right now so will disable the other methods. Thanks gents!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@4dickeys,

You are welcome!
    Please, reach out if we can be of further assistance in setting up your 1Password Families account. We are here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.