1Password 4 vs 1Password 6 and 1Password Families vs Standalone license

Options
khad
khad
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: I have a 1password family license. Can I migrate to a Family Account?.

Comments

• jdwx
    jdwx
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

You know what else is a good point? He already paid for a 1Password family license.

And while you guys are happy to compare the $48 dollar cost of 1Password Families with the $85 cost of buying the standalone software, you're equally happy to overlook that that comparison assumes a person only has one year to live, and that... and here is the important bit... they haven't ALREADY PAID YOU the $85.

It seems pretty obvious that 1Password Families is a blatant cash grab by forcing people onto "the cloud" so you can saddle with another bill into perpetuity. (Witness the new version of the Windows client, which only works with your cloud service, raising a giant middle finger to existing perpetual licenseholders.)

(Written as the holder of a 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle Family License and an iOS license.)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdwx,

Your license still works, and we still sell standalone licenses. If that works better for you, that's awesome. That's why we make it available. Everyone gets to choose what works best for them.

Many people have been extremely excited about not needing to manage licenses on every platform or worry about paid upgrades. Others like yourself may prefer the opposite. We're happy to be able to support both and let you decide what works best for you.

Some 1Password Families features require an online account, and those features require a subscription. There's really no way around this as the family and team features are dependent upon servers that need to be maintained, and they have ongoing costs.

If you don't want the benefits of a family account, there is no need to subscribe to 1Password Families. :)

I hope you have a fantastic rest of your Sunday evening. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

• jdwx
    jdwx
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

OK, great!

Since 1Password 4 for Windows is so awful on Windows 10 (and out of date generally) "still works" is kind of a relative term.

So I'd like to get the standalone version of the 1Password 6 for Windows. Don't even care that it's still beta, I'm happy to be an early adopter, and I'll pay for the privilege. What's the upgrade cost for that from the license I have?

Oh, there's no such version? 1Password 6 for Windows only works with 1Password Families & Teams and doesn't support AgileKeychain at all?

What's the ETA for a version that does? Oh, there's not one?

What paid upgrade path is available for the type of license I have? Oh, there's not one?

I'm sorry, what was the point you were trying to make about me having options?

Because it looks like my options are to go rot with the old versions of your software until they quit working and you decide not to fix them, or to throw away my existing investment and start over, paying forever for a "Families" version I don't even want.

See if you can guess my level of enthusiasm for these "options."

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@jdwx,

There is no need to use 1Password 6 if you don't have a family or team account. 1Password 4 for Windows is feature complete. If you don't have a family or team account, 1Password 4 is a great option.

But if you want to use 1Password 6, you can use it free while it's in beta. We simply don't have anything in place for an upgrade at the moment because it's still in beta. We're not withholding any information about upgrades. The information simply doesn't exist yet.

You can use 1Password 6 without a family subscription. It supports the OPVault format. But since it is still in beta, there are some features that haven't been implemented yet. We mention this in the announcement post in the "Roadmap" section:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-to-our-windows-family

You can choose to use the stable, feature-complete 1Password 4 until 1Password 6 is released. Or, you can use the beta builds of 1Password 6 right now, with the understanding that it is beta software and still incomplete and may contain bugs. Again, the choice is yours.

If there is a specific feature request you'd like me to pass along to the developers, I'd be happy to do so. Or, if you would prefer that I move this to the Windows Beta category, I can do that as well. You may very well get a reply from the Windows devs directly there.

Cheers!

• jdwx
    jdwx
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

From your own blog:

"If you’re not subscribed to one of our subscription services, we do not suggest trying 1Password 6 just yet."

From the post you reference:

"Local vaults are currently read-only."

Clearly 1Password 6 for Windows is not usable for standalone users.

If 1Password 4 for Windows is feature complete, how do I get one login from a secondary vault without manually changing vaults and manually entering the 32-character password for the secondary vault?

Oh, I can't?

If 1Password 4 for Windows is feature complete, where are the settings to make the text not blurry on scaled 4k displays under Windows 10?

Oh, I can't?

Sorry man, no amount of platitudes will pave over the facts.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdwx,

Indeed. It sounds like you, me, and the blog post are in complete agreement. :)

We don't suggest it. One of the reasons is because local vaults are read-only at the moment. However, you seemed keen on giving it a go, so I wanted to point you to the right resources.

If I didn't have a family or team account, I would absolutely be sticking with 1Password 4 for Windows. As I mentioned, it is feature complete and very stable. :+1:

• jdwx
    jdwx
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

You can use the software, it just won't work for you and we don't recommend it.

The old software is feature complete, except for the missing features.

You win, your doublespeak is too much for me.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdwx,

I see you updated your post after I posted mine. I'll attempt to address your updates now. :)

If 1Password 4 for Windows is feature complete, how do I get one login from a secondary vault without manually changing vaults and manually entering the 32-character password for the secondary vault?

Oh, I can't?

If 1Password 4 for Windows is feature complete, where are the settings to make the text not blurry on scaled 4k displays under Windows 10?

Oh, I can't?

You're totally right. Those features are not in 1Password 4. Feature complete means all the features it is going to have are already in it. There are a lot of features it doesn't have. The biggest one that comes to mind is support for family and team accounts. And there will be a lot more features we add to future versions of 1Password for Windows. That's why we're working so hard on 1Password 6 for Windows.

I'm really not sure how I can help you as it sounds like you just want development of 1Password 6 for Windows to be faster, so you can use it with local vaults without being restricted to read-only use. It's on the way, and if I could snap my fingers and make it happen on this fine Sunday night, I definitely would. Unfortunately, we both need to wait a little bit longer as developing a brand new app from scratch takes quite a bit of effort. It's coming, but it isn't available yet tonight.

Oh, and being nice isn't a platitude. It's a way of life. I hope the rest of your week improves. <3

• jdwx
    jdwx
    Community Member
    Options

"I'm really not sure how I can help you"

On that, at least, we are in total agreement.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:)

• Starmatrix
    Starmatrix
    Community Member
    Options

I just have to say, well done Khad, nicely handled.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @Starmatrix. I just want to make sure everyone know the facts. I genuinely do wish I could speed up development of some things I would like to see. But for now, I can only report on what is currently available and allow folks to make their own educated decisions. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.