Locked Mini removes focus from browser

Options
themartorana
themartorana
Community Member

Hi!

Tested this on Firefox 47 and Chrome 51 on Mac OS X 10.11.5.

It was, previously, that if the 1Password Mini hotkey was hit on a webpage, the unlock screen would appear in-context above the browser, and once unlocked, display the matching website and fill.

Now when called, if locked, Mini appears attached to the tray icon instead of above the browser. This removes focus from the browser, so when Mini is successfully unlocked, the matching website doesn't show, and I have to click on the browser again to re-focus it, then hit the hotkey again to get Mini to appear in context with the matching website listed.

Thanks!

Dave

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox, Families, Teams

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @themartorana,

Sorry to hear you're having an odd problem with 1Password mini! It works fine for me and doesn't take focus away from my browser, regardless of whether it's locked or unlocked, so I'm sure we should be able to help get it to work correctly for you too.

Now when called, if locked, Mini appears attached to the tray icon instead of above the browser.

This really shouldn't have anything to do with which app/window has focus or whether it fills your login info. In fact, the mini window isn't actually tied to its menubar icon - that's just its default location. You can drag it to wherever you want on the screen (just open mini and drag it from close to the top edge of the mini window, right at the top of the 'Search' field). Once you drag it somewhere else, it should remember that and open in that location when you use the keyboard shortcut. Can you make sure you're still able to reproduce the problem once you've moved the mini window?

Also, are you using the ⌥⌘\ ( Option+Command+Backslash ) keyboard shortcut or the ⌘\ ( Command+Backslash ) keyboard shortcut to fill sign-in forms on websites? I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but since I'm unable to reproduce the same problem here, it might help if you can try both shortcuts and let us know if they both behave the same way.

Does this happen every time you open a website and try to use the 1Password extension/1Password mini while it's locked?

And finally, as a test, if you open a website and then click on the 1Password mini icon (or the 1Password extension icon in the browser) instead of using a keyboard shortcut, does it work as expected?

Thanks in advance! :)

• themartorana
    themartorana
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew!

I'm using ⌘\ if that makes a difference. This only happens once per lock (usually when the screensaver is activate). But it does happen every time it's locked. Using the keyboard shortcut or the tray icon has the same undesired behavior. If I use the browser extension button, however, it works as expected.

That said, I don't have a draggable window when I use the tray icon to display 1Password Mini: https://cl.ly/1g3H201t2W10

I've tried dragging from everywhere, and can't get a handle on the window. It's always possible I'm doing it wrong. I'm what you'd refer to as a "power user" but also suffer from momentary "lapses of brain", so there's that ;)

Thanks!

Dave

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@themartorana: Ah, sorry about that. You're right that clicking the menu bar icon won't allow you to move 1Password mini...but if you press ⌘ ⌥ \ (Command Option Backslash) to bring it up, you can move it wherever you wish.

Regarding your original issue, have you perhaps not restarted your browser and/or Mac for a while? It seems like what you're describing is what happens to me occasionally, given my habit of leaving a ton of tabs and windows open for days and sometimes weeks. Restarting the browser usually fixes the issue (and others — they're pretty memory-hungry), but sometimes restarting my Mac completely is just simpler, given that this seems necessary nowadays, at least in my usage.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• themartorana
    themartorana
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - I'm still not able to drag using ⌘⌥\ - here are my settings: https://cl.ly/0l1u410q1R0C

I've restarted both browsers, my computer, etc., and the behavior is the same (and hey, at least consistent). I'll try it on my laptop at home tonight and see if it works differently there.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @themartorana, we'll be interested to know if it works differently on your laptop at home.

In the meantime, I'm not sure why you're unable to drag the mini/extension window to a new location. (Also, I'm sorry for the confusion - as Brenty said, you won't be able to drag it if you click the mini icon in your Mac's menu bar.) Please make sure you're trying to drag it from the area at the top of the mini window, as I've highlighted in this screenshot:

It's a narrow area so it might be a little tricky to click in the right area. If that's where you're trying to click/drag but it isn't working when you use the ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut, try clicking the 1Password extension icon in your browser. When you open it from there instead of the menu bar, are you able to drag it?

• themartorana
    themartorana
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Drew_AG - sorry for the confusion - I can drag when it opens in-context. It's when it's locked that it doesn't open in context (but on menu instead).

Here's a video explaining what I'm seeing - how bringing up mini attaches it to the menu bar if it's locked, but in-context if it's not.

https://cl.ly/1R0Q2G1f2c3X

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for the video, @themartorana! It really helps to see exactly what you're seeing. That's quite strange and makes me wonder if this is somehow related to the problem with the focus being removed from your browser.

I'm still curious if things work differently on your home laptop, but at this point, to help us figure out what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your (work?) Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• themartorana
    themartorana
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Drew_AG - support ticket [#NDE-14211-674]

I noticed something else. If any other application was focused, if I hit the hot-key when Mini was locked, it popped up in the center of the screen, instead of the tray icon. But if i clicked on the browser and that focused, it would open at the tray icon. The only difference it seemed to me was that the extension was installed - so I uninstalled the extension, and boom, the hot-key opened the unlock screen in the center of the monitor, not at the tray icon.

So I uninstalled all extensions, and reinstalled them, and now everything acts as it should. Could it have been a permissions issue with the extensions? Same thing, both Chrome and Firefox. So my system works as expected now (I'll let you know if that changes again) - just had to reinstall the extensions and restart the browsers.

I had restarted the browsers several times before, reinstalling the extension seems to have been what did it.

Cheers,

Dave

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @themartorana,

Well, I honestly don't know why those problems were happening or why uninstalling/reinstalling the extension seemed to have fixed it, but I'm happy to hear that it did! :) I haven't heard of these specific issues before, but I'll make a note of this in case I hear about it again from other customers. Thank you very much for the details about all that!

I found the diagnostics report you sent us and added an internal note that you were able to solve the problem after sending it (you may get a quick response from someone just to confirm you're all set now). If those problems start happening again or if you need help with anything else, please be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

ref: NDE-14211-674

• themartorana
    themartorana
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, sorry to waste your time! I should have tried that to begin with...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No need to apologize, @themartorana! You didn't waste our time at all - in fact, it's helpful for us to know about this sort of thing in case other customers report a similar problem. If it's an issue with the extension, we'll want to fix it - and if it's not something we have control over, at least we'll be able to suggest the steps you took to solve it. And besides, I didn't think to suggest it to you either! ;)

Take care, and please let us know if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.