After using 1Password for Teams, I now wish to have my own personal account. What is the procedure?

Options

Our company has used 1Password for years and more recently we are using 1Password for Teams (we love it!) but my personal stuff is still with Last Pass. I have always wanted to use 1Password personally but historically before Teams emerged this was never possible (as far as I was aware!).

I now believe it possible to have a personal vault and add a Team account to the app and they can both be independent?

If this is indeed possible, I have a couple of questions.

1. Which master password is the master? Or is each account accessed independently with its own master password?
  2. Are there any safeguards from saving personal passwords into the teams account or vice versa?

Currently I just have the teams account added to my iMac & iPhone so I'm assuming that I would have to completely remove the app and data and then reinstall, create my personal vault first and then sign into the teams account?

Thanks in advance!

Justin

1Password Version: 6.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11
Sync Type: teams

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justingarrett

I'm glad to hear that you like 1Password and want to completely move with us! There are two ways in which you can do that on your current set up:

1. Get your own subscription to 1Password Families account and have both of the accounts coexist on your devices. You will have all the functionality you have now with your Team and if you ever were to leave your current workplace you wouldn't have to go through any extra effort to keep on using 1Password. You read more about it here: https://1password.com/families/
    2. Enable local vaults in your devices and use that one to keep your personal data. While this option would not cost you any money, you need to be aware that you wouldn't have a web interface or web access for this data, you would need to set up syncing by yourself via Dropbox or iCloud and if you ever were to leave your company you'd need to either get a subscription or a license to be able to keep on using 1Password.

Depending on which of these options you prefer is the steps that you need to follow to start using 1Password for personal use. When you have decided which one you'd like to use we'll be glad to guide you through the set up! About your couple other questions:

Which master password is the master? Or is each account accessed independently with its own master password?

While it is possible to use different Master Passwords it is best to use the same one for all the vaults you have. If you choose a strong Master Password and only use it for 1Password then there's no risk in doing this and will decrease the chances of getting locked out of your account.

Are there any safeguards from saving personal passwords into the teams account or vice versa?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I'm not sure how 1Password would be able to tell whether the login that you are saving is related to your personal or laboral life. You can change in which vault logins are stored by default, so you can decided which vault you're more comfortable with.

Please let us know what you think about this and if you have any more questions that we can help you with we are here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.