Syncing custom icons for entries

Options
Leif
Leif
Community Member

I like having pictures for each 1Password entry, many of them custom (cropped logos, related app icon, etc).
My questions are:
Where are these stored?
Will they sync with Dropbox?
Why do they sometimes go missing? and how can I prevent that?

1Password Version: 4.4.2
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:pictures

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Leif,

Thanks for contacting us with your questions about rich icons! I'm glad to hear you like adding custom icons to the items in your vault.

Where are these stored?

When you add a custom icon to one of your items, it's stored (and encrypted) in your vault just like the rest of your 1Password data. Your 1Password data is stored locally on your Mac within the ~/Library/ folder (the exact location is different depending on if you're using the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac).

Will they sync with Dropbox?

Yes, custom icons should sync to other devices via Dropbox - assuming you're using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, of course. ;)

Why do they sometimes go missing? and how can I prevent that?

I'm not sure what you mean - are your custom icons disappearing? That shouldn't happen. Or do you perhaps mean that regular rich icons (which were automatically downloaded) have disappeared?

If regular rich icons have disappeared, that's probably because rich icons are no longer working properly in 1Password 4 for Mac. After we made some changes in our image server for compatibility with 1Password 6, we discovered that inadvertently affected the legacy versions. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience!

On the other hand, if you've added custom icons to some of your items, and some of those custom icons have disappeared, we can try to figure out why that might have happened. Cheers! :)

• Leif
    Leif
    Community Member
    Options

I hadn't known that regular rich icons were dependent on a server, I thought that they were somehow extracted from the site itself. That must be what has happened and why I'm looking at generic keyhole icons for everything, even my Agilebits forum login. I love 1Password and would upgrade to the latest and greatest but unfortunately I don't have the option to upgrade my OS due to a known hardware incompatibility with the 2012 MBP graphics card that results in frequent GPU panics (Apple knows, doesn't care). So I'll be a legacy user for a while because I can't afford a new Mac every year. I just wish companies weren't so quick to screw the legacy users.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Leif

I'm sorry that the change in our database caused this problems for you. I'm sorry about the frustration with using the legacy software, we try to keep the older versions working as best as possible, but some times to be able to move forward it's necessary to make changes that will affect the past. I hope that you'll stick around and some day in the future enjoy all the great new things that 1Password has been adding and improving in the last few years. I'm really sorry for the inconveniences that the lost of Rich Icons might be causing you.

If there's anything else that we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask, we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.