Sync (choice/change) capabilities limited in comparison to iOS

Options
axon
axon
Community Member

Hello,

I am currently running 1Password on several Mac and iOS devices and now one Android is joining the party as well. Whilst using Android for the first time, I set up the Wi-Fi sync during the setup and all seemed good. Now, coming from iOS and knowing that I can change sync settings there when selecting so Sync, I am faced with no such options on Android. Just turning it on or off .....
Why is the Android version treated differently in this respect?
If this is not on a roadmap yet, then please make it so if possible!

cheers

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @axon. :)

1Password 6 for Android allows you to configure sync with any supported sync method; local storage, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi. However, once you've configured sync, it's not possible to change the sync method without reinstalling or resetting the app and starting over.

We've received a number of requests for supporting reconfiguring sync on Android, and we'd love to add this as well. I will definitely pass your vote along to the team. Hopefully this is something we'll be able to support soon!

Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks!

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Along the same lines, I've been waiting a long time (July 2015) for the ability to change the sync folder on Android. Having to reinstall the app to do this is really not acceptable. I'm sure the developers are very busy but this should be on the easy list.

• peri
    Options

Hi @ag1pwun. This is something we would love to add, but our developers do indeed need to prioritize all feature requests in line with bug fixes, updates to security, and other issues.

That said, I'll be happy to help you change syncing, if you like. Can you provide a few details about your setup? How are you currently syncing, and what sync method would you prefer?

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

To be clear, this is not a major issue. But it is something that should be fixed when time permits. It's totally related to folder sync on Android. You specify the folder location when you select this sync method. Then if you need to change it, which I've had to do several times, you have to either uninstall the app or clear out the app data, which also clears all of your other settings. A pretty drastic maneuver to simply change a folder path.

I understand it's very low on the radar and it probably should be as I expect it won't be a heavily used feature. We users sometimes forget that no software development is trivial and seemingly simple UI changes require as much QA testing as the internals.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

While most of us aren't regularly reconfiguring sync, it's definitely something that will be nice to have in the future. Definitely one of those things you don't think about until you need it. Thanks for your feedback on this, and your patience. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.