Site clues for 1Password browser extension

Spence
Spence
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

As a site owner, I would like to provide clues for the 1Password browser extension to provide a better experience for users of our site.

If there were standards to use, 1Password could provide better functionality for "supported sites" with features like:

• Reliable "open and fill" URL
  • Reliable "open and fill" form element names (your best practices give general guidelines but it could be explicit)
  • 1-click password rotation URL
  • Strongest possible password using automatic password policy detection
  • Automatic detection of other resources (e.g., Documents, Bank Accounts).

For the "open and fill" example, when users sign up, they're not on the login page, but "open and fill" should default to a page that allows submitting credentials.

I would love for 1Password to create these, but I would propose open graph (meta tags) or something similar to JSON+LD to help clue the browser extension to what values to use.

<meta property="1password:login" content="https://example.com/login" />
<meta property="1password:password-policy" content="8chars;2num;2upc;1sym" />
<meta property="1password:password-rotate" content="https://example.com/account/rotate-password" />

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:meta tag

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Spence! Thanks so much for your post. It wasn't always the case that we had such a positive relationship with web developers, so whenever a third party emails or posts to say they want to go the extra mile to ensure their sites or apps work better with 1Password, it warms our hearts and it's not something we take lightly. (Especially for an "old timer" like myself, having been with AgileBits now almost 8 years. :smile:)

This kind of a system where we would establish some conventions for how to do some of this stuff is something we're very interested in. Your list of ideas seems very reasonable, and I like the way you're thinking about it. Right now, my gut says that the final version of this will be slightly different to what you've described here in implementation, but the ideas are basically solid. Thank you for sharing!

I can't say much more at the moment than it is something we are looking into. There are some other things on the extension development team's plate that are higher priority at the moment, but this is definitely on our list of things to explore in the future.

Cheers!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.