Can I merge data from primary vaults on 2 other devices to an existing primary on Dropbox?

jtobison
jtobison
Community Member

I have an iPhone that syncs to a primary vault on Dropbox. I also have an iPad and a Mac, each with primary vaults on the devices and not currently syncing at all. All 3 vaults have different data and item counts. Can I turn on sync on the iPad and Mac to the primary on Dropbox and will all the unique data in the 3 vaults get merged properly? The end result I would like is all 3 devices syncing to the one primary on Dropbox, but I don't want to lose records or duplicate records in the process, if possible.

I hesitated to turn sync to Dropbox on for the other devices, because it gives me a dialog that says that device "will stop syncing to the folder." I don't know if that is telling me it will no longer use the primary on the device and merge into the Dropbox primary or if it's telling me the data on the device will be lost and it will use the version on Dropbox without any merging.

Is there any way to achieve my end goal?

1Password Version: iOS 6.4.3; OSX 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.2; OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:merge primary vaults

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jtobison

You can sync your three devices with Dropbox and have the data merged together. There is no risk for 1Password to lose any data. What this means is that 1Password will not make decisions about which of the two seemingly same entries to keep and will keep them both, so you will have duplicates. You can try sorting the possible duplicates out before even syncing to make things easier, for example. It is by design that 1Password will keep all of your data, even if duplicates are a nuisance. You can find the details on how to sync with Dropbox here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#dropbox.

About your question regarding the device stop syncing to the folder, it sounds like at some point you set up folder sync. You have a folder somewhere in your device with a copy of your encrypted, updated 1Password data. There is no harm in stopping this and just using Dropbox.

Please let us know if you try this and how it goes for you! If you have an other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.