new version, old license?

mecabe
mecabe
Community Member

Hello, I have 1password 3 for mac, and I updated it, or intended to -- I may have inadvertently upgraded. I now am getting a message that my trial is expired, asking for a license. I do have a license, but apparently for an earlier version. I did not intend to be changing software -- only to update. The $65 price tag seems a bit high for me when the old version was working. Assuming the license I bought earlier is not valid for this product, can I revert to the old one? Thanks very much.

1Password Version: 3.8.22 and 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:add-license, kb-search:Have license not appearing now, kb:agilekeychain-zip, kb:upgrade-license

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mecabe,

I'm sorry for any confusion about the license!

1Password 4 for Mac was a paid upgrade from 1Password 3, but customers who bought a 1Password 3 for Mac license during 2013 received a free upgrade (also, the upgrades to 1Password 5 and 6 were free for anyone with a 1Password 4 license). I searched in our system for the email address from your forum account and it looks like you purchased a 1Password 3 for Mac license in 2013, which means 1Password 4, 5, and 6 have been free upgrades for you. I resent your license info to that email, and you'll be able to click a link to apply your license to 1Password 6.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• emiespo
    emiespo
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Hi @Drew_AG ,

I have the exact same problem, I was using 1password on my old Mac (3 --> 4 --> 5 --> 6), then I changed my job, and my Mac of course :chuffed: and now I can't activate my old license.

Thank you for your support!
    Emiliano

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @emiespo,

I searched our system for the email address associated with your forum account, and it looks like you received a (free) license for 1Password 2 for Mac back in 2008. I've resent that license info to your email - it might show up as a 1Password 3 for Mac license in the email, as I believe a version 2 license also worked for version 3.

I don't see a license for you for 1Password 4/5/6 (which is a paid upgrade from 1Password 3 or earlier). If you think you may have purchased an upgrade to version 4/5/6 from the AgileBits Store under a different email address, you can have that license info resent to you from the "I lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site, or from this knowledgebase article: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

Or is it possible you purchased a newer version of 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store? In that case, we wouldn't have that information in our own system, but purchase would be associated with the Apple ID used to buy it, and it doesn't require you to activate it (the "Trial Expired" message only appears for the AgileBits Store version). Just launch the Mac App Store, make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make the purchase, and reinstall 1Password from the Purchased section.

If you didn't buy it from the Mac App Store and never upgraded your 1Password 2/3 license to a 1Password 4/5/6 license, you can do that by entering your license code on our Upgrade Store to see your upgrade discount.

Alternately, instead of buying a license, you can sign up for a 1Password account (i.e. a subscription service which we started this year), which lets you use the 1Password app on all supported platforms for no additional charge, and includes free future upgrades: https://start.1password.com/signup/plan

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• emiespo
    emiespo
    Community Member

Thank you, this is a great tech support! I am sure I didn't even know that 1password existed back in 2008 :-) (I started using macs in 2006...).

However, I think my 1password came with a bundle, if I remember correctly it was a bundle from Parallels back in 2014, and I am almost sure I continued using 1Password till the end of June (it just kept updating over the years).

Update: just switched to Mail and found the bundle advertising, I'll try to recover the receipt and see if it had a different email address or a different license number... I even tried to recover the license to the other email I use most, but it didn't work.

Regards,
    Emiliano

• emiespo
    emiespo
    Community Member

Ok, I was NOT able to find the bundle receipt, but then I remembered that I used 1Password to store software licenses too (what a beautiful feature...).

And guess what? I had a 1Pass-ception :chuffed: I could activate again my copy by simply opening the stored license in the trial version...

I am curios now: is there an email associated to that license or not?

This is the only information I could find: "Parallels Bundle User 11914".

Cheers,
    Emiliano

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

@emiespo: Haha awesome! I'm glad to hear you were able to use your license! Thats a great question too! Unless you'd registered the bundle copy of 1Password after purchasing, we won't have any record of it since it wasn't purchased through the AgileBits Store. That's the only way you'd have an email associated with it. That said, if you have any transaction details or the license number itself, shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com with that info and we'll see if we can manage to track it down that way. But of course if you have it yourself that's all you really need. :)

This discussion has been closed.