How do I ensure that one of my vaults does NOT get synced to my mobile device?

lauracrose
lauracrose
Community Member

I have two vaults: one is for personal data ("personal") and one is for work data ("work"). I want to make sure that my "work" vault is not accessible on my mobile device (iOS). I only want to use logins from my "work" vault when I'm using the Desktop application or the 1Password web application. I don't want logins from my "work" vault on my mobile device. How can I do that?

1Password Version: 6.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.2
Sync Type: not sure
Referrer: forum-search:Exclude one vault from going to iPhone mobile app

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lauracrose

The bad news is that you can't selectively add vaults from the same account to one device: if you add your account to your iOS it will have everything for that member. However, given that you have a Family account you can have up to 5 family members. If you're not using them all, you can create a new member in the account just for work. If you want both Personal and Work to be available in some device, you can have both of them coexisting. Now, the downside is that you'd have two different emergency kits to take care of (you can use the same Master Password, but not the same Account Key) and would need to sign into two different accounts on the web interface to access your data from one account or another.

Please let us know what you think of this option and if you try it how it works out for you! :chuffed:

• lauracrose
    lauracrose
    Community Member

Thank you, this is most helpful. A follow on question, to use 1Password for work and personal logins while on my Desktop with your suggestion of 2 different members/accounts, would I need to login/logout as the different member or can I seamlessly use the logins from both accounts?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lauracrose

I'm glad this sounds like a good alternative for you! If you have the main app installed on your desktop then you can add both of the accounts and use the seamlessly. You can even go as far as keeping both of the vaults in the "All vaults" view so all the items will appear mixed together. Both of the accounts can easily coexist and there's a lot of flexibility to find the best workflow for you. You would only need to login and logout to use the browser interface, but even that can be worked around by using two different browsers, for example. :chuffed:

• lauracrose
    lauracrose
    Community Member

Hi - on the Desktop app, I get an error when I try to add a second member/account for my same family account:
    A member from ABCDEF has already been added to 1Password.
    You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team.

Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lauracrose: Correct. Sorry for the confusion! Based on your earlier comments, I think Pilar thought you were talking about 1Password for iOS. In that case, you'd login to your "limited" (perhaps Guest?) 1Password Account with the single shared vault (which is all a Guest can access). But it isn't possible to login to multiple accounts belonging to the same 1Password Family (or Team). But it may be simpler to use the same 1Password Account on each device, and then use 1Password for iOS Settings > Vaults > All Vaults to exclude the "work" vault there. I hope this helps! :)

• lauracrose
    lauracrose
    Community Member

Ok, I will try that. So, just to confirm, when I change the definition of "all vaults" to exclude my "work" vault in the mobile app, the login bits under my "work" vault are not present on my mobile device?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

@lauracrose,

They will be present. They just won't show up in All Vaults. I have a lot of work vaults that I don't normally need to have cluttering up All Vaults, so I exclude them in that way. But on those rare occasions I do need to look up an item in one of those excluded vaults, I can simply switch to that vault directly. It's saved my bacon more than once, so I am glad the items weren't completely excluded from my device. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.