iPhone and iPad will not sync with computer (cannot fine computer.) all on same network

Options
gwrtexas
gwrtexas
Community Member

"Computer not found" 1password could not find a Mac or PC to sync with.
All on same network and wifi sync is enabled.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: unknown
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: wi fi
Referrer: forum-search:iPad and iphone will not sync with macbook (cannot find computer). All on same network.

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gwrtexas

In order to be able to sync via Wi-Fi you need to set up your computer as a server first. You can find the detailed instructions here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-wi-fi.html

If you have followed this steps and you're still having trouble, please check for firewalls or other security software or preferences that might be stopping the traffic from and your computer. You will probably need to disable them or at least readjust the settings. This is one of the most common offenders when someone has trouble with Wi-Fi sync!

Please let us know if either of these two things help you and if you're able to start syncing! :chuffed:

• gwrtexas
    gwrtexas
    Community Member
    Options

I reviewed setups on Macbook, iPad, and iPhone. Also, on the Mac, Firewall is set to "allow incoming connections" for 1Password mini.app and 1Password 6.app.
    iPhone and iPad still do not see the computer.

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @gwrtexas,

I wasn't sure from your post if were you able to see your secret code in 1PW preferences on your Mac to enter into your mobile devices? The link Pilar mentioned shows screen shots of what you should see there. Checking the box next to "Run a Wi-Fi server from this Mac to sync with iOS and Android devices" is crucial to seeing the Mac on your phone and iPad.

If it still isn't working please write back and we will find out where the problem lies.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gwrtexas,

I would say that — generally speaking — Dropbox is a better option than Wi-Fi Sync for syncing local vaults. Or, if you are only syncing between Apple devices (as appears to be the case), iCloud is even easier. Just turn it on. :)

Sync 1Password with iCloud

Learn more about the sync options.

Wi-Fi Sync must be done with the two devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This means that you need to remember to sync them before you go on an adventure that separates them. iCloud and Dropbox syncing are fully automatic and securely sync your 1Password data anywhere you have Internet access. There's nothing to remember (or forget!), and I definitely consider that a win.

Of course, it's entirely possible you already ruled out iCloud and Dropbox due to a corporate requirement, regional restriction, or personal preference. In that case, we're happy to try to get Wi-Fi Sync working for you. It's just that it has a lot more moving parts than any of the other sync options. There is a lot more that can go wrong: wireless routers, software firewalls, unique network configurations. iCloud and Dropbox both work as long as you have a working Internet connection. Nothing more to configure.

To resolve the problem with Wi-Fi Sync, please follow the steps here: Wi-Fi Sync is not working.

• gwrtexas
    gwrtexas
    Community Member
    Options

Based on the comments of KHAD, I am just going to stay with synching to DropBox (which is working perfectly.) In retrospect, it does look like a better option. I am staying in a summer apartment and will look at this issue again after returning home. Thanks for all the help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That sounds like a great resolution, @gwrtexas — at least for now. :)

If you ever want to revisit it, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.