How do I (really) access the password history from the password generator

khelliwell
khelliwell
Community Member

Using 1Password 6.2.1 and extension 4.5.6 with Safari on a Mac (OS X 10.11.4). In the password generator, there is a password history button. When I hover on that button, I see when the last generation was done for the particular website, but clicking on the button does nothing useful. My problem is that I used 1Password to change a password on the site, but the change didn't make it into my 1Password entry for the site, and so the password is orphaned unless and until I can recover the password that was generated. This behavior of 1Password has been noted by me in the past, and I still can't figure out how the changes you've made to the history function are better than before. I very often end up with password changes to a site that don't get updated to my 1Password file and all the attendant fiddling around that entails.

So: WHERE oh WHERE is the history stored?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @khelliwell,

Thanks for contacting us here in the forums with your question about unsaved passwords. I'll be happy to help you out!

When you Fill or Copy a password from the Password Generator in 1Password mini, that password is automatically saved to your vault as an item in the Passwords category, so it's not lost even if 1Password doesn't offer to update your existing item with the new password. This step-by-step article is exactly what you're looking for:

How to recover a password created with the password generator

You mentioned password history, which is a feature in a Login's item details that shows you the list of passwords that have previously been saved in that Login item. But I believe the reason that doesn't help you in the case that you're describing is that the password you're looking for has not yet been added to the Login item you want it in.

To that end, if you find that 1Password is not automatically offering to update your Logins when you change a password, you may be able to check a box to fix this. From 1Password's menu bar, select 1Password > Preferences... > Browsers and check the Autosave box to detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them. Less fiddling around that way. ;)

• redemptiv
    redemptiv
    Community Member

Is there anyway that I can find any passwords that were generated by the password generator but not saved?

I was working in a critical "manage my Apple ID" situation this morning, generated a new password using the Password Generator, then, because it did not prompt me from 1Password to save it, went to do so by Editing the 1Password Login for that Apple ID. UNFORTUNATELY, I accidentally clicked the "Copy" next to the old password (rather than clicking INSIDE the field where the old/current Password itself was stored), which meant that my newly generated password was overwritten in the Mac OS Clipboard by the old (now invalid) Apple ID password.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @redemptiv,

Sorry to hear about your mixup with Apple ID password copying/saving. I did something similar not long ago, with a flash of distress. Have you checked the Passwords category for the password you need? This article can help with that:

If you generated a password that wasn't saved, or you can't sign in

Hopefully you'll be able to recover it from there, like I did after my recent mistake.

• redemptiv
    redemptiv
    Community Member

Dear sjk -- your suggestion was exactly what I needed! THANK YOU!!! I had opened the 1Password app and gone into that specific login, but did not realize that the Passwords link would track all of the generated passwords. I've spent a couple of hours on the phone today with Apple. But this few minutes to blog this question and get your answer was like the proverbial key that precisely fit the lock. This is going to save me untold headaches in maintaining my ability to use my current email address, access this Apple ID account, etc. So, THANKS AGAIN!!! Thanks for being the instrument to answered prayer, and for making my day and that of my family suddenly take a turn for the better.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of sjk, you are quite welcome! :)

I'm so glad that everything worked out, and I know he will be too. I'll let him know as soon as I talk to him next.

If we can ever be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.