User feedback on first initializing the iOS app

stegor
stegor
Community Member

I've been using 1Password successfully on my mac and iphone for quite some time. Recently, my phone got accidentally smashed, replaced, and then for reasons I won't go into here, I wasn't able to immediately restore my phone from backup. I was using everything anew, downloading apps individually and re-logging in to everything. Of course, 1Password is now the key to EVERYthing, and I can't get going without it.

When first opening the 1Password iOS app (as if for the first time ever) I am presented with two options: selecting whether I have a "Teams or Families account" or "No account". This wording is not at all intuitive. As feedback, here's the thought process of a person confronted with it for the first time:

Of COURSE I have an account, I've been using this service for years. So "No account" is definitely not the option for me. I know I don't have a "teams" account, but I've never even heard of "families". Maybe regular non-teams accounts have weirdly been renamed "families"? Proceed to select that option. Get confronted with screen requesting account keys and all sort of other things that I of course don't have. Get confused and annoyed. Try to look back through my license and welcome emails for something that could be the key. Enter all sorts of things that could maybe be it. Get unhelpful error messages about my "address" not being valid. What address is it even referring to? E-mail address? Get confused and annoyed. Cannot get into any account on my phone. Can't find a help topic that addresses this particular issue.

Finally I figured out that "no account" is the option for me. But honestly, it took a full day. Why would anyone who has been using this service ever think that is the option to select? I highly suggest changing it to "individual account" or something.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stegor,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about this. I'm sincerely sorry for the confusion.

First, I do want to say thank you for your longtime support, and I'm really sorry to hear about your old iPhone. :(

Your feedback is spot on, and we actually just rolled out an individual plan for 1Password accounts just a couple days ago. We just need to update the app to show that as the option.

However, in your case, there was confusion about the fact that you didn't even have an account. Until we released 1Password Families and 1Password Teams, there really was no such thing as a 1Password account. All your data was on your own devices. You were responsible for backing it up yourself, syncing it yourself, and everything was local to your own devices.

With the new 1Password accounts, you can actually do a lot more. Family and team accounts can easily share things amongst the various members. And regardless of which plan you choose — individual, family, or team — you can access your data on 1Password.com.

So, you don't have a 1Password account yet, but if the benefits of a 1Password account sound interesting to you, feel free to give it a try. There is a free 30-day trial. If you prefer to use 1Password as you always have, you can absolutely ignore everything I just wrote and do exactly that. It's totally up to you. Just remember that unless you sign up for an individual, family, or team subscription, you don't have a 1Password account. That may come in handy in the future if/when you ever need to set up 1Password on another device. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.