profile/account questions

Options
jnrever
jnrever
Community Member

Signed up a long time ago (2008) and my profile/account information is woefully out of date. For one thing, when I enter my email address to see accounts there are none assigned to that email address. I receive updates from 1Password but cannot see the accounts. I think the account has an email address that is no longer valid. Another thing, I do not have an Emergency Kit. Maybe these were instituted after 2008? In any case, I need to get my information updated, find my QR code, etc. Thanks in advance for you help...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Much of this is related to the new subscription model, not the stand-alone version. What version of 1PW do you have?

The QR code provides a quick way of accessing a Families account (if you have subscribed to that, or one of its variants), the Emergency Kit contains some of the info that is needed for accessing the subscription, etc.

An account on the forums has nothing to do with a 1PW account, and you only have the latter if you have set one up. The stand-alone version does not have an associated account.

The program is the same in the stand-alone and the subscription models.

• jnrever
    jnrever
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! I have a Families account:

1Password 6
    Version 6.5.BETA-12 (650012)
    AgileBits Beta

I noticed in my records I have an email address for a closed account. I receive regular email from 1Password for software upgrades and news, so my current email address is somewhere in your systems. But I do want to be able to log online into my 1Password account (not just the forum) to keep things up to date and change the account password every so often.

• jnrever
    jnrever
    Community Member
    Options

Oops! Reread my post and what I meant was the EMAIL account was closed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jnrever,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for the confusion.

I definitely see your standalone license which is valid for your family. However, I don't see a 1Password Families account associated with your email address. 1Password Families just came out in February. We used to sell a family license, which is where I think the confusion is coming from. 1Password Families is a subscription service rather than a standalone license.

One of the things that a 1Password Families subscription includes is access to your data on 1Password.com. This was never available without a family account in the past, which is why you won't be able to sign in to 1Password.com unless you sign up for the new 1Password Families service.

There are some other differences as well. For many folks, it's often easier to manage a single subscription than it is to keep track of individual licenses across different platforms and version upgrades. The subscription model also allows us to build in features and services that wouldn't be feasible in the standalone apps, like central hosting and vault management.

If you have a family subscription:

• Get all the 1Password apps for free. No matter which plan you choose, every member of your family always has free access to the latest versions of all the 1Password apps. Learn more about all the features included with 1Password Families.
    • Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Setting up syncing with Dropbox can be confusing for some folks. With 1Password Families, you sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family members. When you create a new vault, you can add people to it automatically. They don’t need to do anything to see it and begin using it on their end.
    • Set permissions for each person on each vault. Some passwords can be set to read-only, for example.
    • Recover accounts if your family members forget their Master Passwords. This is a huge one. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family.
    • View, edit, and add items from any browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you are away from your main devices.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can always view and export your data.

And, as always, you’ll get helpful, one-on-one support from us. :)

If you don't want to sign up for 1Password Families, you can change your Master Password right in the 1Password app on your Mac:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. From the 1Password menu, choose Preferences.
    3. Click the Security icon, then click Change Master Password.

Learn more about changing or recovering your Master Password.

If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

This discussion has been closed.