Security questions on bank website

Options

My bank logon (https://my.if.com/Security/Auth/Logon) has three fields: Online Username, Password, and a third field consisting of a security question. Unfortunately there are two different possibilities (and corresponding answers) for the security question and the website randomly asks for one or the other. Is there any way for 1Password to successfully deal with this?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:authentication question

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @alderking,

For the moment your best bet would be to use the steps detailed in How to save a Login manually in your browser to create two Login items for this page, one for each security question they ask. When saving alter the title so it clarifies which question it pertains to. Then when you're asked to fill using the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ will always bring up the 1Password mini menu and ask which you want to use.

How does that sound as an approach to dealing with the different questions?

• alderking
    alderking
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. That should work, I think.

Further question: how do I get 1Password to NOT autofill the fields? If I select the 1Password login for this webpage it will automatically fill the fields and try to log in. As I don't know which security question will be asked, I can't tell which Login to use in advance. So it could easily be the wrong security question and throw an error (and the website only gives me three attempts before locking me out).

Is there a way to have the login take you to the page without doing anything else, then giving you the option to choose which password etc. to use?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alderking,

Is there a way to have the login take you to the page without doing anything else, then giving you the option to choose which password etc. to use?

You can first open the page without using 1Password (e.g. with a browser bookmark) and see which security question is asked, before doing what littlebobbytables suggested:

Then when you're asked to fill using the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ will always bring up the 1Password mini menu and ask which you want to use.

Another option would be to let 1Password open the page and fill the form (like you've been doing), but not autosubmit it so you can check the security question. If necessary, you'd do another fill using the keyboard shortcut and selecting the Login item with the correct security question response. Then manually submit to log in.

To set that up for your bank login, edit their Login items and change the submit setting to Never submit.

To turn off autosubmit for all logins, disable the Automatically submit Logins after filling settings in Browser Preferences.

If you run into any trouble with this let us know where you're stuck and we can help get it sorted out. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• alderking
    alderking
    Community Member
    Options

I think the second solution will work for me. Thanks for the quick reply!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

You're welcome, @alderking!

My personal preference is having Automatically submit Logins after filling disabled, and enabling Always submit in specific Login items for sites I trust. I like to see what's been filled by 1Password before choosing whether or not to submit it even if it takes a bit longer. :)

This discussion has been closed.