Further questions

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Hey,

I asked some questions on the individual announcement blog post and got an answer but I wanted to clarify a few things:

My original post:

Nice to see an individual option!

Just a few quick questions:

You stated above that you can cancel at any time and not be locked in but the pricing page states that it’s billed annually? If we used it for ten months and then cancelled, are we refunded the remaining two months?
Can I have a local vaults and 1Password.com vaults in the same application running quite happily together? If so, can these local vaults be synced in any of the ways we have been able to do previously (ie: DropBox?)
If I sign up for the trial, can we cancel and revert back to the standard setup?
Is it possible to keep custom backups? I’m sure your backups are great but i’m also terrified about losing my 1Password data and would like to keep a manual backup too!

and the actual reply by AB:

Chris De Jabet says:
August 3, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Hi Neil,

I’m glad you like the individual option!

If you cancel 10 months into a 12 month payment, you’ll still have full access for the remaining 2 months, and then your account will go into Frozen status. In Frozen status your account becomes read-only, and you still have export options should you need them. To thaw the account, simply renew the subscription.

And yes, you can have local vaults and account vaults running and coexisting within the apps. I actually run this setup as I keep a demo vault active locally to test things as needed.

If you give the trial a whirl and don’t like it, you can move data back to a local vault the same way you moved it to the trial: select the items, and choose the local vault as the destination when moving them.

As for backups of account vaults, those are managed on the server. We keep copious backups and the item history feature makes restoring a breeze if needed.

So, going by that answer, unused months are not refunded back?

If I use the trial and cancel and move back to locally synced vaults, will this also move all the attachments correctly too?

In terms of backups, I know Chris stated that you keep copious amounts of backups but I still like to keep my own. Is it possible to do this with the new cloud stored vaults?

When you guys announced the individual plan I was ecstatic as it's exactly what i've been waiting for for ages since 1PW for Teams was announced! and it allows access to my passwords even without having the app installed on a device! Perfect!.

I then showed the announcement to my Mum who also uses a local version of 1PW and she, surprisingly was very very interested. This surprised me as I had previously shown her 1PW for Families and she was not interested. No idea why but there we go! She then said, we might as well get the family option, which is obvious, but now i'm sad that I won;t be able to benefit from the six months free offer that you have.

It's annoying as when 1PW for Families was announced, you had an amazing offer which I didn;t take up due to no one else in my family wanting to take part and now that the individual option is available I can't take up that offer as my Mum now decides she does want it!!

Is there anything you can do as it's annoying to know that i might end up missing both amazing offers! and i'd like to really avoid that if at all possible.

BTW: If I sign up as a Family account and do manage to add further people onto that account, if one decides they want to leave the family membership account, can that person easily be removed from my family account and they end up with their own Individual subscription account?

Sorry for all the confusion.

Kind regards,
Neil

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rctneil,

Making local backup copies of your data isn't something that's easily accomplished because of the features we already built into the accounts themselves. First, there are automatic backups already baked into 1Password accounts. Beyond that, there's the tremendously powerful Item History feature. This allows you to recover a previous version of any (or multiple) items instead of having to restore an entire backup just to recover a single accidentally-delete or changed item.

You're correct with regard to refunds; unused months are not refunded. AgileBits has always offered a 30-day free trial under all circumstances so people can decide if 1Password is for them before making a purchase. Right now with the six months free deal for individual accounts, it's hard to imagine the user who'd need more time than that to decide. With standalone licenses in the past, if a user decided after six or eight months they no longer wanted to use 1Password we didn't offer to refund any of their purchase price, so our policy for accounts mirrors the one for licenses as closely as possible in order to be fair to all our customers.

Regarding attachments, not at present. The reason is that in local vaults, files can be attached directly to a single 1Password item, whereas with an account, each file gets imported as a top-level document which can be linked with multiple 1Password items and is not dependent upon the items to which it is linked. Unfortunately, this means that importing back into local 1Password vaults doesn't automatically (at least, for now) re-attach those files to the 1Password items they're linked to in your 1Password account vault(s). The only way to do this would be to manually download each document and then re-attach them to the records you've migrated back to the local vault.

As far as Earl's Early Deal? You do seem a bit caught in the middle between the two launches. Tell you what: think over what I just said above, and figure out what you and your family want to do, then let us know via email at: support+forums@agilebits.com and we'll see what we can do.

This discussion has been closed.