Using 1P for Families, now Android won't 'reveal' my data

kidNeutrino
kidNeutrino
Community Member

Help me, I don't understand what I have missed. I really bought in on the "Families" idea. Now 1P for Families isn't syncing on mobile device.

I noticed that I wasn't getting a sync on my Android last night. I couldn't make it sync so I reinstalled. Now only a few of my passes/notes/ records will show. I have a lot of data well over 1000 items. Approximately 50 items show up. I had most of it before the reinstall!! now I want to kick myself.

Upon reinstall I get a message on screen that 1000+ items have synced, but they do not show in the categories.

I am using a LG G4, Verizon, 1P for Android v6.3.3. I use Dropbox to sync.

1Password Version: 1Password for Android 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:android app will not show all my data, kb:undefined, kb-search:android app not sync

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kidNeutrino,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Please note that any vaults you may be syncing with Dropbox are completely separate from 1Password Families. 1Password Families handles its own syncing for all your family vaults. The two default vaults in a family account are Personal and Shared.

Have you signed in to your family account in 1Password on your Android device?

https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/?android#set-up-the-apps-and-import-your-data

Presuming the data isn't already in your Personal or Shared vaults within your family account, do you have a Mac or Windows PC, so you can move your data into the correct vaults?

• kidNeutrino
    kidNeutrino
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I have signed on using 1P for Android to our 1P for Families account. The items in 1P on my Mac are in the Personal Vault. Is this correct?

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Hi @kidNeutrino
    That your 1Password items are in your Families Personal Vault, is not necessarily the case. However, you can check to find out which items are in which vault by clicking the top left menu in 1Password for Mac:

The items 1 and 2 in the screen shot are 'local' items.
    The items with the flag below the dividing line are your Family vaults.

The local items – above the dividing line – are also available when you are offline — useful, for instance, when you need to confirm your bank account or credit card details, or read a personal note — the Family items (those below the flag) are only available when you are online.

You may, of course, copy or move items between vaults.

I hope this helps you on your way, but if you have further questions, please ask.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kidNeutrino: Indeed, rjh is on the right track. Once we get things sorted out, it will be much simpler not having to juggle sync services and settings. If you can give us a sense of what you're working with, we'll be happy to guide your through getting it all organized. :)

• kidNeutrino
    kidNeutrino
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

@all
    This morning (right now) everything showed up.
    All of the item were in the vaults that should have been 'non-local' (although I don't really understand your designation of local/non-local). All 1000+ items were in the 1P for Families Personal Vault. These are unable to sync? That doesn't make sense because they have shown up this morning.

I was online the entire time. I am glad they are there, but that was a 36 hour lag in access. This is not good.

@Brenty
    what information are you asking for? I don't understand this request "give us a sense of what you're working with".

Here's the symptoms:
    I have 1000+ Notes, passwords, logins, etc. etc. They are all residing in the 1P for Family Personal vault.
    I d/l 1P for Android
    I linked 1P for Android to my Dropbox account
    I added my account to 1P for Android
    I was unable to access my files for 36 hours.
    LG G4, Verizon, Wireless Data Enabled, Wifi Enabled

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@kidNeutrino,

I think it was your mention of Dropbox that threw me.

• If the items are in your Personal vault in your family account, then Dropbox is not involved in any way. 1Password.com handles the syncing.
    • If the items are in your Primary vault, then it's possible you have set that vault up to sync with Dropbox. If we are not discussing items in your Primary vault, then we can set aside Dropbox in the discussion.

Presuming the items are in your Personal vault in your family account, I'm not sure what would have caused the delay. A quick way to test things would be to create a new item in your Personal vault on your Mac. Does the item show up immediately in your Personal vault on Android? What about the reverse? Create an item in your Personal vault on Android. Does it show up on your Mac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kidNeutrino: Sorry for not being clearer. When we're talking about sync issues, that generally involves multiple devices (or else you wouldn't need to sync anything). So it would be helpful to know all OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using. And as khad mentioned, knowing what's syncing with Dropbox, what's part of a 1Password Families account, etc. will be important. It sounds like you're talking about 1Password Families, but again, we want to establish if Dropbox is involved too. Thanks in advance! :)

• kidNeutrino
    kidNeutrino
    Community Member

@khad should I create that vault in the 'local' area or in the 1P for Families area?

@brenty I get where you are coming from. It has been really difficult figuring out the transition. Especially when the app asks for the Dropbox account, even though it really isn't involved unless you are using a legacy process. My intent is to use 1P for Families across devices and to share with my spouse. It is great that sync is built in. I may have missed it, but I didn't know Dropbox was a legacy process. And I think it may be a pinch point in the transition for many long time users.

• kidNeutrino
    kidNeutrino
    Community Member

@khad OK! so the new item made in 1P for Families Personal Vault immediately synced my Macbook. That's good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kidNeutrino: Dropbox is great too, but it definitely adds some additional complexity if you're syncing with that and using 1Password Families. Is there a particular reason you're using Dropbox as well? It certainly adds another layer of potential confusion, so unless you have a particular reason to continue using that "local" (non-1Password Account) vault, I'd recommend migrating your data to your 1Password Account and then not using Dropbox (or a local Primary vault at all) will simplify things.

It's good to hear that data is transferring fine for you now. I'm going to bring this up with the web team to see if you may have been running into some throttling on the server side. Thanks for you patience and willingness to work with us on this!

• kidNeutrino
    kidNeutrino
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

@brenty I think I must have been unclear again. I have only used 1Password (I just looked it up—since 2008. WOW, time flies). I do not have a "local" (non-1Password Account) vault that I want synced. I am referring to the old 1P versions. I used Dropbox with previous versions of 1P to sync my materials to all of my devices (über-nerd here: 4 laptops and a Desktop at work, sigh).

What was confusing and what may be confusing for others who have a 1P legacy: it is not entirely clear that we are abandoning the Dropbox methodology. Again, not necessarily an issue that Agilebits can fix because you transitioning people on old system to new, but I offer one observation/opinion/suggestion: in the Android app it immediately asks if you have an existing vault. Most of us with (a metric tonne of) data (that we are scared to lose) immediately link our Dropbox file. It is later that you add a 1P for Families account. The order makes us confused. And when I say US, I mean tired old nerdy me ( and maybe a few others).

Is there a way to redesign that experience for us tired old farts reinforcing that 1P for Families implicitly performs it's own syncing repository? An additional sentence saying: 'Hey if you have switched to Families, we recommend you do this..."? And give the option to add the account there?

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

I couldn't agree more with @kidNeutrino. I am completely turned around since I upgraded to Families. For well over a year, I have been successfully using 1password on several devices and using Dropbox to sync with the vault. Prior to joining the Families revolution, I adopted the idea of creating a separate vault to share passwords with my wife. We shared that file via Dropbox as well... with mixed results (but that is a story for another post).

Anyway, we wanted to bring our children into the 1password ecosystem, so I decided to sign up for the 1P for Families trial. Before I invited them to join in, I wanted to make sure that I understood what is happening,

Here's what I have now:
    I have a 1P setup that is very similar to what @rjh has posted above -- I have one Primary vault and one Shared vault (with my wife that i set up before Families), Families - Personal vault, and Families - Shared vault.

Here's what the problem is:
    I copied all of my Primary vault (the legacy 1P vault that syncs with Dropbox) items to the Families - Personal vault, but now I'm unsure how to accomplish what I really want.

What I really want:
    Ultimately, I want all of my personal and work passwords in one vault that only I have accesss to.
    I want to sync these passwords to all of my devices in real time so that any changes are immediately reflected on all my devices.
    I want to be able to access my password information at all times irrespective of the availability of internet access.
    I want to be able to add and/or remove passwords from the shared vault and have my wife be able to access those changes immediately.
    I would love to be able to get rid of the Dropbox connection.

What I don't want:
    I don't want to maintain a local vault and a Families vault.
    I don't want to only have access to my vaults when I have internet access.

Can you help me with this, please?

Thanks.

• Jacob
    edited July 2016

@kidNeutrino Goodness, 2008 was a while ago. Right after the iPhone came out, back when no one used it. Why does it still feel like a year or two ago? Time is a strange thing, and sometimes I feel like it's not the dimension we think it to be.

Anyway... :) You make a very good point. Right now, it's not possible to only use a family account in 1Password for Android. You need another vault enabled. You don't actually have to use the vault, but it has to be there for the app to work. I totally see how that's confusing — our other apps don't work that way, and we're working to make Android the same as well. I'm sorry this tripped you up, but hopefully we have something much better soon. Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated.

@mlmiles1 I'm sorry to hear the experience hasn't been good so far. The cool thing is, this is what 1Password Families is for:

I want to be able to access my password information at all times irrespective of the availability of internet access.

Also possible in a family account. You can access everything offline just as you would online. The only exception is documents, which are stored offline on iOS if you cache them, but are only available when connected in 1Password for Mac and Windows.

I want to be able to add and/or remove passwords from the shared vault and have my wife be able to access those changes immediately.

Also possible in 1Password Families. :) If it's not working like this for you, let us know.

I would love to be able to get rid of the Dropbox connection.

You can, once you stop using the Primary vault that is. Which brings us to...

I don't want to maintain a local vault and a Families vault. I don't want to only have access to my vaults when I have internet access.

So, the best way to do this is simply move whatever is in your Primary vault to your Personal one. You said you did that, but I just want to make sure. If there are items you want to share with your wife, move those to the vault that's shared with her. And if you have items you want to share with your whole family, do the same with those.

Share passwords and other items with your whole family

Once that's all wrapped up and your Primary vault is empty, you can just remove it from the app. In 1Password for Mac, for example, choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, then click the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box. Follow the prompts and you should be all set to just use the vaults in your accounts. You can also delete the Dropbox vault file you used previously by navigating to it in Dropbox and moving it to the trash.

Lastly, since you mentioned work passwords, if you want to add another layer of organization to things, you can add a "work" tag to your items or you can create a vault for them. I'd just recommend creating a vault since that's a nice way of doing things. You can make sure you're the only one who has access to it, and you should be all set. Hope that helps, and let us know if you need anything else. :)

ref: OPA-860

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@penderworth -- It looks like I am all set up now. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of penderworth, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@brenty do you recommend that folks keep their old vaults that maintained in Dropbox prior to switching to 1password for families?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mlmiles1: It depends or your needs. I'd say to default to "yes", just because it's always a good idea to have a backup. And if for some reason you need/want to use 1Password sans-Families at some point, you won't have to de-migrate your data since you'll still have he original vault. I still have mine since I occasionally need to use it with older versions of 1Password. Just a few thoughts. I hope this helps! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If anyone reading this runs into trouble with data not syncing in a timely manner in the future (I'd say certainly within a minute or so, unless there is a connection problem), please generate a diagnostic report at each end (for example, items added on a Mac not showing up on Android) and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'.

Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Cheers! :)

• kidNeutrino
    kidNeutrino
    Community Member

@Brenty thanks for the process.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! I hope you never need to use it, but we're here for you if you do. :chuffed:

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the advce about keeping the local vault. I wish that I take sooner because I have a situation one of my passwords disappeared from my vault and I had a really tough time getting everything reset. However I finally got everything to work.My question now is how do I keep my balls and my one password.com info in sync. Is there some way to do this automatically?

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@brenty how do you keep the local vault and the one password.com vault in sync? This is some automatic way to do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that we somehow missed your followup here. :(

There is no way to sync a local vault with 1Password.com. They are very much separate. What I meant was that while you're evaluating 1Password.com, you could hang onto the original local vault in case you want to revert to it. But you really don't need to be using both, and any new data could be exported back again if needed.

Again, I apologize that it's taken this long to find your reply and get back to you. I just happened upon it now while looking for another discussion. :(

This discussion has been closed.