Unable to import from 3.7.2 to 6

yogalin
yogalin
Community Member

instructions failed. V3 did not prompt to import and workaround to create .1ptbackup file failed. URL was invalid.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yogalin,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble getting your data into 1Password 6. Could you please clarify that you are following the instructions on this page when attempting to upgrade? I just want to make sure we’re on the same page.

In the backup your 1Password 3 data step of the support instructions, there are two URLs listed. Could you let me know which one you tried?

• yogalin
    yogalin
    Community Member

I used the instructions from the noted page. I tried both URLs and both were invalid

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yogalin,

Thanks for confirming that! Unfortunately, the backup step is pretty crucial to this process, so let’s try again to do a backup and see if either URL behaves better this time.

It is important to make sure that your devices are on the same network when you go through this process, perhaps that’s where things are getting tangled up?

• yogalin
    yogalin
    Community Member

There is only one device so it is by definition on the same network. Still doesn't work.

• @yogalin,

I'm not sure I follow. There needs to be two devices: your iPhone and a computer. The backup cannot be saved to the iPhone. You'll access the URL that the iPhone gives you from a computer on the same network, and that is where you'll save the backup.

If when doing that you're still having difficulties it may help to set up an ad-hoc wireless network between the iPhone and computer:

How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

Ben

• yogalin
    yogalin
    Community Member

Thanks will try again with pc as second device.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Keep us posted! :+1:

• yogalin
    yogalin
    Community Member

Ok I have my 3.7.2 file in dropbox. I can select it but dropbox has no "Open in" option for that selected file. How do I get it to version 6?

• @yogalin,

Do you have the latest version of the Dropbox app installed on your iPhone? What do you see on the screen when you try to open that file in Dropbox?

Ben

• yogalin
    yogalin
    Community Member

I have the latest version of dropbox on my iPhone. When I open the file I see what looks like machine code interspersed with what I think is html code with the occasional URL for entries in 1Password.

• yogalin
    yogalin
    Community Member

Help?!!!

• Hi @yogalin,

I'm going to ask one of our developers that worked intimately with the new import process to help out here. Sorry for the delay. We'll get you squared away.

Ben

• Good afternoon @yogalin. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having here. Let's see what I can do to walk you through the procedure.

1. Open the Dropbox app on your phone and select to the 1Password.1ptbackup file. Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner:

2. Click on Export on the menu that drops down:

3. Click on the "Open In..." option in the share sheet:

4. Scroll the top row of apps to the right until you find "Copy to 1Password":

Tap on "Copy to 1Password" and you should be all set. Your backup file will now open in 1Password and you can import it with your Master Password there.

Let me know if you run into any trouble or if there's anything else I can do to help.

• yogalin
    yogalin
    Community Member

Thank you for the very clear explicit instructions! I got it...

• Thanks for the update @yogalin! I'm glad to hear that helped. I've filed and issue to see if we can get those instructions (and screenshots) added to our documentation.

Ben

ref: AKB-579

This discussion has been closed.