Saving Logins without a Mac for Teams

FreeLunch
FreeLunch
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Business and Teams

If you don't have a Mac and want to save passwords for websites to autofill using 1password for Teams, how do you do it? Are there any options?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FreeLunch,

To add items to your 1Password database without the 1Password apps, you’ll need to use the web interface. At this time, it is not possible to use the browser extensions with the web interface, so you will need to manually input the entries and will not be able to autofill on other sites.

Which platform are you using 1Password on?

• FreeLunch
    FreeLunch
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Hi @Megan
    We are trying out 1password for teams. The person that will be converting all the saved web logins only has a Windows computer and Android phone. We want to be able to autofill passwords. Therefore, I am trying to find the best way to save logins where it will autofill. Personally, I use 1password personal copy and find that if you manually save passwords, it doesn't autofill.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FreeLunch,

The person that will be converting all the saved web logins only has a Windows computer and Android phone.

We’ve got instructions on how to migrate existing 1Password data into a 1Password account on our support pages:

Move your existing 1Password data into a 1Password account

If this is data that doesn’t already exist in 1Password, it will need to be typed into an entry at this time, as the 1Password browser extension for Windows does not yet support saving. Our team is working on adding this feature as soon as possible though!

We want to be able to autofill passwords.

In order to fill passwords in on websites, you’ll need to have the 1Password apps and appropriate browser extensions installed. It doesn’t matter how the information was initially added to the app, as long as 1Password and the browser extensions are installed, filling is possible.

Personally, I use 1password personal copy and find that if you manually save passwords, it doesn't autofill.

When you say ‘manually save passwords’, are you referring to this support article: Save a New Login Manually? Saving passwords manually (via the browser extension) is actually the best way to teach 1Password which fields it needs to fill. If you are entering passwords by typing the information into 1Password, you should still be able to fill the details using the browser extension, although some web forms have a unique structure that might complicate matters a bit. If you’re using 1Password on a Mac, the ‘save new login manually’ steps are great, and as I mentioned above, we’re working on teaching the 1Password browser extension for Windows to save information as well, we’ll have it available to users just as soon as we can!

• FreeLunch
    FreeLunch
    Community Member

@Megan ,
    Thanks for the replies. I probably am not doing the best job explaining my concerns. Yes, I do use 1password personally, however, for work we have passwords in Keepass. Therefore, our goal is to have passwords in 1passwords for teams that will autofill web logins. The tools the person has to use is Windows and Android. Is this possible? When I say manually save passwords, I'm talking about manually typing in a new Login, manually enter the url, uid, and pwd. I've found that if you manually create an entry, it doesn't work well to autofill. Using your link, "Save a New login Manually" or autosave with a Mac works great, but, you need a mac.

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

@FreeLunch can someone sit at (borrow) a Mac for one day and do the logins/autosaves from there? Just trying to be creative! :-)

• FreeLunch
    FreeLunch
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion @hesspaul -- I was hoping there is another way besides using a Mac. The person doing it is a thousand miles away from me so it's not as straightforward.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@FreeLunch, I see what you mean. And there is some truth to what you say about Logins that aren't saved using the browser extension not being quite as reliable. The reason for that is because the browser extension actually has access to the form fields on the page and can "record" them to "play back" the Login when you go to fill it. The apps (as well as 1Password.com) don't have access to the web page like that.

That said, it should be very close in terms of filling success. We've made great improvements to the filling over the years, and even Login items created apart from the browser extension should work quite well.

It would indeed be better to do everything on a Mac. Much less time spent (and time is money after all). However, it is possible to save Logins in 1Password 6 for Windows directly into a team account.

Worst case scenario, you find a Login here or there that needs to be re-saved using the extension.

This discussion has been closed.