Please bring back Folders

Options
kavaa
kavaa
Community Member

Could not find a discussion on this...
Please bring back folder support for Individual, Teams and Families...
We have everything in folders now, its much more organized than Tags, because we have Sub Levels etc.
Also we have over 2000 Passwords and 120+ Folders and sometimes more than 5 levels deep in the folders.

Please let us know if the feature is coming in the webinterface and new "Plans" Also for in App use.
Because this is holding us down for using the best of the 1Password Team's.
So we are still stuck on the local thing.

Please Please Please bring it back!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kavaa,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! It sounds like you have quite the setup in 1Password currently.

Unfortunately, I can’t make promises on unreleased features, but I’m happy to pass your feedback along to our team.

In the meantime, I do encourage you to take a look at Tags. I know it’s not what you’re used to, but I find that tags are much more powerful than folders. Being able to add multiple tags to an item means you could essentially recreate your folder structure with tags. Also, tags are a lot more flexible: while an item could be in only one folder, there are no limit to the number of tags you can add. I think this makes items a lot easier to find, particularly in a large database.

Of course, I’ve been a fan of tags for a long time, so I’m a bit biased. But I do hope that they can be useful for you too!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kavaa,

Thanks for sharing a bit more about your current organization in 1Password! I’m sorry to hear that you don’t think tags are a solution. I’ll share your thoughts with our development team. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kavaa,

Everyone organizes things differently, and I certainly don’t want to try and impose my sensibilities on you, but I’m wondering if organizing some of those items into separate vaults might help? I can’t say what is logical to you and your team, but I can understand how your current structure could become a little bit overwhelming.

• saphirblanc
    saphirblanc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I've already made this request twice on Twitter as I've more than 100 folders and subfolders for all my projects and customers.

Tags are fine, but you cannot be as organized as you can be with folders and find quickly things.
    Please bring this feature back :'(

Yann

• martinvandiemen
    martinvandiemen
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Add folders to Teams and I'm buying!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll pass it along!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please don't take this as any indication of the development direction. Your votes have all been passed along to the devs! But I did want to offer a "defense of tags", or — more precisely — just explain how I use them in case it helps anyone. :)

The biggest tip a lot of folks don't know: once you create a tag by adding it to one item, it will appear in the sidebar. Then you can select all the items you wish to have that tag and drag them onto the tag in the sidebar.

You can't exactly have a hierarchy of tags, but you can apply as many tags as you want to a single item. That's not possible with folders. An item can only be in one folder at a time. For my usage, I've found tags to be a lot more flexible than the restrictive, linear hierarchy folders require.

For example, I have tags for:

• bills
    • cc
    • health
    • auto
    • insurance

This allows for all sorts of different combinations:

• If I want to see all my bills, I can look at the items tagged bills.
    • If I want to know which bills are paid with a recurring credit card payment, I can look at all the items tagged bills and cc.
    • If I want to see things like my Membership item for my health insurance, the Login for their website, and also my Membership item for my separate vision insurance, I can look at health items.
    • If i just want to see the health insurance stuff (not Logins) I can do that.
    • I can also view auto insurance. (I'm sure you can guess what that's about.) Or simply insurance which will include both health and auto.

It's super flexible and makes my life a lot easier. I tried to use folders a long time ago but went with tags because they were so much better. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If my post helps even one person, then I'm glad I shared it. :+1:

Have a wonderful weekend!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kavaa: 1Password can't, shouldn't, and won't ever be 100% flexible. It's our job to make tough decisions so the app doesn't become bloated, confusing, or downright unusable. Sometimes this means removing or changing things. But in the case of 1Password Families (or Teams/individual accounts), folders simply do not exist there and never have, so it isn't something that's been "removed".

I understand that folders are what you're used to, but organizing them and managing items as you describe is a time-consuming, manual process that I honestly don't miss since I tried using tags. Like you, I was skeptical, because change is always strange. And since what we have for the foreseeable future is tags, I encourage you to give them a fair shake, since the alternative of using folders does not exist.

However, even if we don't have plans to add this now, we are absolutely going to continue to consider folders for the future. No promises, but if we hear from other folks that this is important to them, it is more likely that it may be added someday. But so far the absence of folders from 1Password Accounts has not seemed to give many people pause. :blush:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kavaa, understandable. As I mentioned, everyone has a different opinion and a different way they prefer to organize things. I would go mad trying to manually organize that many folders. I prefer separate vaults and minimal tags. But I primarily find things by searching. If I had that many folders, I wouldn't even be able to remember what folder anything was in, and I would end up having to search for it anyway. :lol:

But your vote has definitely been counted! We hear you loud and clear. :+1:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Gotcha! Thanks again for sharing your passion for this. I know you wouldn't be asking it if it wasn't important to you.

• steagle
    steagle
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Just discovered this thread and am totally fine with using tags. Question though - how do you drag items over to the newly created tag to apply that tag to them? I can't select multiple items at once nor can I drag just one item over at a time. FYI I'm on Chome on Mac 10.11.5.

Additionally, I don't see a way to edit tags, f.ex in order to rename them. Clicking or double clicking the tag in the password record doesn't do anything nor are there any contextual options in the list of tags in the left side column.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @steagle,

It can't be done in the browser extension (in Chrome), but you can do it in the 1Password for Mac application. Hold the command key to select multiple items (or if you want to select all items in a row, click the top one, hold shift, and click the bottom one), then drag them over to the appropriate tag in the sidebar.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• steagle
    steagle
    Community Member
    Options

Ah ok, haven't tried the standalone app yet, as we're using the Team version across a group of employees who are all accessing it over the web. This functionality would make for a great feature request for the browser version :)

• Jacob
    Options

@steagle I agree! We're hoping to make 1Password.com a bit more powerful in the future for managing multiple items at a time, and this will fit in nicely. I've added your vote to our internal tracker. :) Thanks!

ref: B5-1911

• steagle
    steagle
    Community Member
    Options

Cool. You guys are doing great work and so far the feedback on 1P in our company has been very positive. I for one prefer the tagging method as I think it is more flexible and forward-thinking than static folders and the bloat that inevitably causes. Plus tags can be used just like folders - that's how I'm doing it, one tag per "folder" that I want to sort by. But being able to layer multiple tags is even beter. Looking forward to whatever upgrades come down the pipe!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steagle: First of all, thank you for the kind words! I'm really glad to hear that you and your company are enjoying 1Password! :chuffed:

I think we've made some great progress already in the relatively short time that the 1Password subscription services have been available, and we've got more where that came from. And the best part is you'll just get all of the new stuff as part of your subscription. Cheers! :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

You could create a vault as folder and then use tags as sub folders? Maybe this would work :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ntimo

Thank you for the idea! That might help sort things out! :chuffed:

• Jacob
    Options

@kavaa I hear you there. I think Khad's idea of adding tag combinations is cool too. Heck, you could even go crazy with something like Medical-Internet as a sub tag of Medical. Sorry we don't have something better quite yet, but power features are making their way. :)

• saphirblanc
    saphirblanc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

When you work with other people, you need to find quickly things you're looking for.

Sometimes, you don't know how others have used the tags of the item you're looking for, therefore it's much easier to go to the folder "Clients > ClientName > Hosting" and then quickly pick what you want instead of trying to guess where did the others set as tags.

The same applies for the 1Password mini save login box inside browsers where you can not select anymore the folder where you want to have the item saved into :( (for me it looks like a regression).

Trust us, we are much more confident, fast and organized to find what we want using folders, especially when you have 50, 100+ and subfolders.

Cheers!

Yann

This discussion has been closed.