Some kind of UI feedback when clicking on the copy button

pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

This is my minor personal annoyance with the windows beta so far - the lack of feedback when clicking on the copy and (to a lesser extent) the reveal button. It's just that I have problems remembering whether I've clicked the copy button. I hope you can add some animated button feedback in a later beta :chuffed:

Also, at the moment, when you scroll in the login details window, you have to click on the field you're interested in before you get the copy button popping up. Would it be better instead to have the copy & reveal buttons to scroll with the mouse. Or have the copy button (& reveal where necessary) available to use on every field?

dahanbn brought up a similar request in one of their threads and I just want to add my +1.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pbryanw: That drives me nuts too! Though I can't say for certain when it will be, we definitely want to make copying more intuitive, and hover copy and UI feedback would be consistent with other versions of 1Password. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

@brenty - And thanks again for your helpful reply & quick response :+1:

Going off-topic, but have you figured out whether you're going to include a 1Password-mini style app so the main program & browser extensions can unlock independently of each other, or will you be required to have the new 1Password 6 app open when you want to use the browser extension?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

@pbryanw browser filling is still in it's infancy in 1Password 6 and we haven't gotten around to making a decision about 1Password-mini. We'll see how things progress in the coming weeks and months ;)

• ryanj
    ryanj
    Community Member

Just to give some feedback, I'd love a tray icon for 1Password 6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion! I know that this is popular with both the previous 1Password for Windows app and 1Password for Mac as well, so it's likely to make an appearance again in the future. :)

• Hi @ryanj,

We've just shipped the latest update, 179d, with support for minimizing to tray icon. It will be polished up in future updates to make this optional as well.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@MikeT - Hi, thanks for the update. Is this new tray icon, part of working towards a 1Password mini style helper like the Mac version has?

Also, I've noticed with the new update, that if you minimize the 1Password window you have to click on the tray icon to restore it. I wonder if clicking on the taskbar icon to restore the window could make a reappearance in a later beta?

Thanks, and it's good to see the beta nicely progressing :+1:

• Hi @pbryanw,

Is this new tray icon, part of working towards a 1Password mini style helper like the Mac version has?

That's the plan.

Also, I've noticed with the new update, that if you minimize the 1Password window you have to click on the tray icon to restore it. I wonder if clicking on the taskbar icon to restore the window could make a reappearance in a later beta?

Are you pinning 1Password to the task bar? It shouldn't be in the task bar if it was minimized to the tray.

However, yes, we have more polishing to do here. We do want to add this as an option for folks who wants it on the task bar only and to restore the window correctly when you click on either the pinned taskbar icon or the 1Password icon in the browser.

Thanks, and it's good to see the beta nicely progressing :+1:

Thanks, I'm glad you're liking it so far. A lot of updates coming soon.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Hi, I've just updated to the latest 6.0.184d beta and I'm glad that this small UI feature with the copy button has made it - many thanks :+1: However, I've noticed that if you mouse-over any copy button, the other copy buttons in the item viewer move too - I wonder if you can reproduce this at your end?

Thank you also for the new 1Password browser/mini extension, and I'm excited to see how it will develop over the course of the next few betas and stable releases :chuffed:

• Hi @pbryanw,

However, I've noticed that if you mouse-over any copy button, the other copy buttons in the item viewer move too - I hope this small bug can be fixed in a future update.

The shifting will be fixed soon, they are a bit annoying but we wanted to ship this update sooner with the new 1Password mini as we're excited about it.

Thank you also for the new 1Password browser/mini extension, and I'm excited to see how it will develop over the course of the next few betas and stable releases :chuffed:

You're welcome. Please do let us know if you find any issues, we're working on the next update already to improve some of the rough edge cases in 1Password mini.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

You're welcome. Please do let us know if you find any issues, we're working on the next update already to improve some of the rough edge cases in 1Password mini.

First of all, let me say how nice it is to have a mini style app for form filling again :+1: . I look forward to the day when it can function independently of the main app (which I assume is the end goal), and I appreciate all the work the Windows team at AgileBits have put into it :+1: .

As far as issues, my default browser is Firefox on Windows and I've noticed that you can't dismiss the mini window if you click on the 1Password toolbar icon again (and it sometimes covers this icon), or click elsewhere on the screen with your mouse. The mini window also seems to default to always on top, so when you try and open Firefox's preferences window, it's hidden behind the mini window. And, I've noticed that when you first bring up the mini window, it's not selected by default, so you have to click in its window to activate. I'm guessing it's these kind of edge cases that the next update will address, and I very much look forward to it and seeing how the mini app progresses :+1:

• Hi @pbryanw,

First of all, let me say how nice it is to have a mini style app for form filling again

It'll get nicer when we add the ability to view the details of the items, you'd be able to copy/paste between 1Password mini and other apps that is not a browser. Even better if we can integrate with Auto-Type as well.

I look forward to the day when it can function independently of the main app (which I assume is the end goal), and I appreciate all the work the Windows team at AgileBits have put into it :+1: .

1Password mini is a separate view of the same 1Password app, they're not going to be separate entities. This would allow us to sync the locking system, which was the most annoying issue we had in 1Password 4 with separate lock system per process.

However, just because they're the same process, does not mean they won't show different things. They can behave differently or more specifically, 1Password mini can contextually change based on what you're doing. You may see this already in action when you do Control + Alt + \ in the browser and outside of the browser.

As far as issues, my default browser is Firefox on Windows and I've noticed that you can't dismiss the mini window if you click on the 1Password toolbar icon again (and it sometimes covers this icon), or click elsewhere on the screen with your mouse.

Yep, there's still more work to do. It is dismissed as soon as you click on an item to fill or if you press esc.

The mini window also seems to default to always on top, so when you try and open Firefox's preferences window, it's hidden behind the mini window.

This is intentional, so you can copy the details between 1Password mini and the app's window, think of the basic authentication dialogs for sites in Firefox.

And, I've noticed that when you first bring up the mini window, it's not selected by default, so you have to click in its window to activate.

It should, we have code to refocus it. We'll look into it and see what we can do to improve this, thanks for letting us know.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

1Password mini is a separate view of the same 1Password app, they're not going to be separate entities. This would allow us to sync the locking system, which was the most annoying issue we had in 1Password 4 with separate lock system per process.

Yes, I also found this very annoying in 1Password 4, so I'm glad this will address the problem.

However, just because they're the same process, does not mean they won't show different things. They can behave differently or more specifically, 1Password mini can contextually change based on what you're doing. You may see this already in action when you do Control + Alt + \ in the browser and outside of the browser.

For some reason Control + Alt + \ wasn't working for me, but using a different key worked. I can see the power of the mini app now, how it changes contextually, and how (as you say) it would work well integrated with auto-type. This is something you couldn't do in 1Password 4, and I guess is what building a new app from scratch (as you're doing) makes possible in Windows :+1:

It should, we have code to refocus it. We'll look into it and see what we can do to improve this, thanks for letting us know.

Just to clarify, it's only when I use the browser button that this happens. Using the keyboard shortcut brings up the mini window in focus. (and sorry if I've taken my own thread off topic in these last few posts).

(Update: I also see you can put 1Password 6 in your Windows startup items, letting you have the mini extension available from Windows boot, accessible using the keyboard shortcut :+1: )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes! I'm glad that helped. Sometimes it's the "little" things. Let us know if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions! I guess you should really be apologizing to yourself for hijacking your own thread, but I'll leave that between the two(?) of you. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.