Unlock Android app with Master Password for account

Options
henningklasen
henningklasen
Community Member

I've been a 1Password user for a number of years and just recently started with 1P Families to include my wife and maybe my mother.

To my question. I've googled and searched this site to find an answer but couldn't really find a perfect match. So here it goes:

We followed instructions to setup my wife's account on her Mac, first in browser, then the OSX app, and then... Android app. Here's where it gets weird. First: 1PfA could not use the QR scanner "not supported on this version of Google play services". No update for Google play services or device OS to be found (I realize this may be beyond your control, but strangely the QR scanner in my phone, which is the same Moto G as hers, worked fine.). So, manual installation of her 1P account.

Instructions tell you to first create a new vault with a master password and then add your 1P Family account. But this creates a new MP that is local to the Android app! So now I have not 1Password, but 2Passwords. Yes, you can set them up to be the same exact password, but they are not synced.

Is there no way to set up the app so that you unlock the app with the password that is the Master Password for the account? This was the case before you added Families/Teams, since you were decrypting a file in dropbox or whereever you stored your 1P-file.

Also: please, please tell users upon registration that they should only use ASCII characters in master passwords. My wife used an "ä" (very common letter in Swedish) and it works fine in browser and in Mac application but cannot be used in Android App to add Family account.

I've found 1P to be excellent software and with a great support team, but I'm not super happy with the Families registration / workflow. Hopefully it will be more streamlined in the future.

1Password Version: Mac 6.31, Android 6.6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unlock app with account password

Comments

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @henningklasen,

First, I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with your wife's QR scanner on her Android device. I have seen a few instances of it happening and, as you discovered, it is not a consistent issue which makes it very challenging to figure out whether it is an issue with our app or not. We think not, but I am not completely willing to rule it out either. Regardless, it is something that we are keeping an eye on.

The answer to your next question is a little more complicated. The first Master Password you are creating is to create a local vault, which, at this moment in time, is the only way to get the Android app set up so you can add your 1Password account vaults. This local vault can be set to sync with Dropbox or WiFi, but not to our own servers. This because it was built before we offered a hosted version. As I write this, our developers are working on an update to our Android app that bypasses this initial step and allows you to just set up and directly log into your hosted account vaults. But it is not yet ready for release.

We agree that this is a less than ideal set up, but it is only a temporary workaround. We appreciate you bearing with us as we finish getting our Android app up to the level where we want it to be.

As for your point about ASCII characters, I agree with you. It would make much more sense to put out that caveat before someone chooses a Master Password. I will share that feedback with our designers and see if we can get that changed.

Best wishes,
    Eva

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Eva,

thanks for a thorough reply. I'm glad to hear you are working on this and it will be sorted in the future. I just "installed" 1P Families in Firefox on my work computer and installed the 1P 6 Beta for Windows. The beta is quite rough but I trust you are working on it. I hope you will be rolling out updates for Windows app and Android App over the following months.

1P Families is working on my Mac, Android and Windows computers now.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@henningklasen: We're updating rather frequently, so keep any eye out for changes! Thanks for the feedback. We're working every day to improve the experience for all of our awesome customers! :)

This discussion has been closed.