Delete family member account problem

rootbeerguy
rootbeerguy
Community Member

I have a family member who feels uncomfortable with the possibility that their family account can be deleted by a family "organizer" role. From what I've read in the user guides, I haven't been able to find a setting to restrict the possibility of their account from being deleted. I even set the person's account to an organizer role, but it still showed a delete button on their account.

If their user account is deleted, the main problem seems that all of their vault data would be deleted, at least from the 1password account servers. It doesn't seem that there is a way to restore this deletion either if they were to be added back to the account with the original email address, account key, and master password.

What options does that user have to ensure that they can always have access to their vault data, excluding the shared vault, even if the family member user account is deleted?

It's a little unclear for what happens when a family user account is deleted from the perspective of the deleted user. Can you please explain what their user experience is?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rootbeerguy,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

For all intents and purposes the account organizer(s) owns the account. It is theirs to delete if they wish. We don't have any plans to restrict that ability. In most cases the organizer is the one paying for the 1Password Families account, and as such it wouldn't be right to prevent them from removing an account (forcing them to pay for it indefinitely).

One possible solution would be for this person to sign up for their own 1Password account to use for their 'Personal' vault, and then only use the vaults in the 1Password Families account for items they wish to share with other family members.

If a user is deleted the next time they attempt to login they will receive notification of such and will be unable to access any data associated with the deleted account.

We have discussed the option of giving organizers the option to let deleted users take their 'Personal' vault with them (for example to their own 1Password account, or another 1Password Families account). That is just brainstorming at this point and I couldn't say when/if that'll happen.

I hope that helps answer the question. I realize it may not be an ideal situation for all scenarios, and hopefully we can find a way to make that more flexible in the future. But that is the current state.

Thanks!

Ben

• rootbeerguy
    rootbeerguy
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Hi @Ben,

Thank you for the quick response. I do hope that the feature is added for allowing the deleted users to take their personal vaults in the near future. It allows the user to retain their personal vault data if for whatever reason it was accidentally or intentionally deleted. Also, it seems that the family organizer role is designed to not have any privilege to read/write another family member's vault data except for permanent deletion of data which seems like it's greatly overstepping the intention of that vault data separation.

This feature request may not be needed for 1Password team accounts because a company purchases 1Password accounts for company work and should not necessarily be relied on for personal data. Family 1Password accounts are different because they have the expectation to keep every member's personal data not just shared data. Without a recovery or builtin migration option for deleting a family member account, this seems like an area that is lacking in design.

Just to confirm, after family member deletion, any locally cached personal vault data will also become either instantly deleted or inaccessible on macOS and iOS clients?

• Just to confirm, after family member deletion, any locally cached personal vault data will also become either instantly deleted or inaccessible on macOS and iOS clients?

That is correct.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.