Confused, Subscription or Standalone?

Mr. K.
Mr. K.
Community Member

I own 1Password 6. Why would I abandon it and start with a subscription fee?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Mr. K.

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

To start: you don't have to, and may not want to. We still sell licenses for 1Password. This is still a viable way to use 1Password, and will be for the forseeable future.

But some reasons you might want to look into one of our new offerings:

• Easier sync setup (just launch 1Password and sign into your account)
    • Easier to use built-in sharing features
    • Adding a new device or replacing a lost / stolen one is much improved experience
    • Web access
    • All of the compatible native apps are included, along with all of the updates and upgrades for them
    • It is possible for 'organizers' on 1Password Families accounts to help family members recover their account if they forget their Master Password or lose their Account Key
    • There are also a few other features which we are able to offer only by virtue of the hosted service: full item history (instead of just password history), Documents, and item linking.

Of course the best way to see if it is for you is to sign up for an account and try it out. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I think your setup for subscriptions is great for 1 or 5, but I have 2, and neither works good for that, so I must stay with what I have. Also, there's no price incentive to make a person move from license to subscription. Again, great if your new to 1Password, but not good if you've been a user for many years.

• @Mr. K.

1Password Families is less expensive for two people than it would be for each of them to get their own individual account. :)

But yes -- I see your point, and unless you have a need or particular desire for the functionality offered by 1Password Families then there is no need to change anything at this point.

Ben

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

How does the subscription model work on an iOS device? Is there still an app, or is it all handled through Safari?

I really think it would be good if agilebits offered a path or incentive for an owner of the standalone version to upgrade to the subscription model. For me to change means I would basically be abandoning my investment in the standalone version, which works perfectly fine for me with the exception of a few slight advantages I could get in the subscription version. Mostly, an easier way to manage multiple users. I do see I can add subscription "accounts" to my standalone version, but I can't see much value to that since the subscription version doesn't need the standalone version. Unfortunately, I'm still confused.

• @Mr. K. There's still an app. All the apps stay around and function very similar to how they did before accounts. With an account, depending on whether you're using one for just you, a family, or a team, you'll get sharing, automatic backups, and recovery if you lose your Account Key or Master Password. These are mostly backend changes, so there's no need to think about how the apps work — very little about how you use 1Password every day has changed. We mainly wanted to make it easy for you to sync among your devices without thinking about which service to use. Ben mentioned the other benefits you get with an account. Hope this helps clear things up. :)

This discussion has been closed.