Portable Version

Options
mmoud
mmoud
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi

I see many posts here asking for portable version of 1Password so thought I should share my experience . I came from Roboform so I was used to portable version of their app. I was disappointed that 1 Password does not have any portable version as it was must for me. So I decided to make my own. I was able to make portable 1password in 10 minutes using Vmware Thinapp. I used isolated mode so that all the data remains contained in a sandbox.

I copied binary file onto an encrypted USB drive and everything is works great. I can even sync 1Password to dropbox as I made thinapp of dropbox also.

Now wherever I go , I just plug my USB and enter USB encryption password, Dropbox password and 1 Login master password. On exit there are no traces left behind.

Although it served my purpose but I would still like to see official portable edition.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @mmoud portable app is something we have in mind as well. Would I need to have it portable - I'd copy %ProgramFiles(x86)%\1Password 6 folder (this is your app) to USB drive and %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\20160514.sqlite file (this is your local data). Then I'd edit AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe.config configuration file to have this:

<userSettings>
        <AgileBits.OnePassword.Properties.Settings>
            <setting name="DatabasePath" serializeAs="String">
                <value>portable.sqlite</value>
            </setting>
        </AgileBits.OnePassword.Properties.Settings>
    </userSettings>

That would make app to use file portable.sqlite in the same folder where app is located. The only requirement is that machine where you run it contains .NET 4.6.1.

I hope this helps :)

• mmoud
    mmoud
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Does this method works even for v4 ?

• I'm afraid it is not working for 1Password 4 for Windows. 1Password 6 is a total rewrite, it is based on different technology and made in a different way.

This discussion has been closed.