Total Confusion. Families and Team Member Connection

Steve Joiner
Steve Joiner
Community Member

I have had a team account for some time. As I used it, I was saving my personal passwords in a personal vault in the team account.

Tonight I signed up for a family account so that my wife and I can share passwords.

Here are just a few questions:

1. How do I get my personal vault out of business and into my family account? Do I have to do this, or can I share it with my family account somehow?
  2. I tried to share a vault in my team account with my family account, but it seemed to want to make the invite only as a team member. Seems like this would double charge me for the family as well as for an extra team member.
  3. When I get this working, how do I use both a team account and a personal account? Can you be logged in at the same time?
  4. Once I get my personal vault moved from my Teams account to my personal account, I assume I can just share that with my wife?

Total confusion.

Not sure I'm happy about this new system. Getting expensive and confusing.

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Steve Joiner! Thanks for taking the time to post here. :) I would be happy to answer your questions.

How do I get my personal vault out of business and into my family account? Do I have to do this, or can I share it with my family account somehow?

Items can be moved between vaults in the 1Password apps, so you can use this to get things from your team vault to your family. First you'll need to sign in to both accounts in the app so you have things ready. Then, the move steps vary on the platform. To move items in 1Password for Mac, for example, select the items you wish to move by holding on your keyboard while clicking them, or select them all by pressing A on your keyboard. With the items selected, choose Items -> Share from the menu bar, then select the vault you want to move them to and click Move.

I tried to share a vault in my team account with my family account, but it seemed to want to make the invite only as a team member. Seems like this would double charge me for the family as well as for an extra team member.

It's not possible to share vaults between accounts right now, which is why this didn't work as expected. Inviting a new member won't really solve the issue; I'd recommend simply moving things from one vault to the other as I mentioned above. Sorry for the confusion!

When I get this working, how do I use both a team account and a personal account? Can you be logged in at the same time?

Absolutely! Both work alongside each other happily, so long as you don't have duplicate passwords and data in them. You can be signed in to both accounts in the 1Password apps, and you can sign in to them both at 1Password.com if you'd like too. You'll be able to access all the passwords in each one from your browser too.

Once I get my personal vault moved from my Teams account to my personal account, I assume I can just share that with my wife?

Yep! It looks like she's already in the account as well, so next up:

Share passwords and other items with your whole family

I hope that covers everything! Sorry it's been a rough start, but I think this should help get things moving along nicely. :) If you have any other questions, we're happy to help.

• Steve Joiner
    Steve Joiner
    Community Member

How do I log into both? I open the 1Password and I don't see any option for that.

I have a team account for my work email address and a family account for my personal address. I did set the master password for both to be the same.

Please advise and please advise soon. I'd like to get this off my plate. Thanks.

• @Steve Joiner You can sign in to accounts by choosing 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, then switching to the Accounts tab and clicking the + button there. You'll be asked for your account information, which is stored in your Emergency Kit. You can also use the QR code from your apps page to sign in a bit faster. Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.