I didn't use my existing password when signing up for Individual Plan - now stuck

greggannicott
greggannicott
Community Member

Hi.

Apologises if I'm misunderstanding the process.

I currently own 1Password for iOS. I signed up for the new individual account. When I attempted to sign up, it prompted me for a password.

I entered what I thought was my password, but I guess that was wrong. It told me that it needs to be 10 characters long. So I entered a new password to meet that criteria.

I've since read in this help document that I needed to enter my existing password to migrate my data.

I'm now no longer in a position where I can enter my email address and old password (as that's deemed invalid), and so now I can't associate my individual account with my iOS data.

Again, sorry if I've misunderstood.

What can I do to resolve this?

Cheers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @greggannicott,

I apologize for the confusion here. Your 1Password account is actually completely separate from any data that you might have stored in the 1Password for iOS app previously.

I entered what I thought was my password, but I guess that was wrong. It told me that it needs to be 10 characters long. So I entered a new password to meet that criteria.

You’re welcome to use the same Master Password for your 1Password account as you already use in the 1Password app (provided that your existing Master Password meets our security requirements), but entering the same Master Password will not automatically port your data from the 1Password for iOS app into your 1Password account. It just saves you from having to remember a new Master Password.

If you remember the new Master Password that you created for the 1Password account and have a copy of your Emergency Kit with your Account Key, the next step is to sign in to your 1Password account in 1Password for iOS and transfer your data over. At this time, it is only possible to move items one by one on iOS. If you have a sizeable database, this could be a bit of a process. Do you have access to a desktop computer that we could set up to make the data transfer a bit simpler?

• greggannicott
    greggannicott
    Community Member

Hi Megan.

Thanks for the response.

That all makes sense. Apologies for the misunderstanding. It makes sense now I take a step back and think about it.

I've got access to a desktop. Is it just a case of going through each entry on my phone (logged in with my old account) and manually entering them into the desktop app (logged in with my new account)?

If so, that's fine and I'm happy to crack on with that. I'm just checking in case there's another way.

Thanks again.

Greg

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Greg ( @greggannicott ),

Is it just a case of going through each entry on my phone (logged in with my old account) and manually entering them into the desktop app (logged in with my new account)?

We can make it even simpler than that! Here’s the basic process:

1. Set up 1Password for iOS to sync your vault using Dropbox or iCloud (if your desktop is a Mac).
    2. Download the desktop version of 1Password from our downloads page
    3. Set up sync in the desktop app to the existing data in Dropbox or iCloud (This step will be different depending on whether you use a Mac or a PC, so please let us know what sort of computer you’re working with and we can be more specific - version numbers for the operating system would also be really helpful!)
    4. Sign in to your 1Password account on your desktop and move all your data over in one fell swoop. :)
  • greggannicott
    greggannicott
    Community Member

That was enough information to get me all set-up. Thanks so much for your help!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Megan, you are quite welcome! :)

Let us know how it goes. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.