1Password 6 Beta - Known Issues?

nanite2000
nanite2000
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

I upgraded from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6 Beta for Windows yesterday. I'm aware that it's still in beta, but I was wondering if there was a list of known issues/missing features that I can refer to so I know if it's worth raising a bug or not?

So far, I have found the following issues with the 1Password Windows App:

• Editing a login in the Personal Vault instantly reveals the password stored for that login, with no option to hide it while editing. The password should remain obscured until the user explicitly clicks to reveal it!
  • Copying 1 or more logins to another vault is not possible. Select 1 or more logins in a folder-based vault, and select 'Copy' - I get a message saying "Please select some items first". This renders the application largely useless on Windows.
  • Unable to edit a login in a folder-based Vault is not possible - 'Edit' is greyed out. This renders the application mostly useless in Windows, unless you are prepared to manually recreate all logins in your Personal vault. Doing so revelas the following other issues though:
  • Editing the title of a login in the Personal Vault does not save the new name when you click 'Save'.
  • Creating a new login does not always save the new login. On multiple occasions, new logins have simply vanished.
  • The number of items does not change when you create new logins (maybe related to above?).
  • When editing a field in a login, it appears you can select and edit the field label. But the changes are not saved. Is it supposed to?
  • No option to duplicate logins (for creating multiple accounts at the same URL).
  • Cancelling a new login leaves you with a blank screen, when it should return you to your list of logins.
  • Many relevant fields (e.g. Website) are missing when you access logins in a folder-based Vault.
  • Unable to specify multiple domains for a login. The same password can be used at multiple URLs.
  • Search only filters on item names, but it should also filter on all other relevant fields (Login, Website, etc...).

And I have found the following issues with the Chrome extension:

• Clicking the extension button for the first time prompts for the master password. However, although the password entry box appears to have focus, the focus remains in the default input field of the web page displayed at the time. This is changed behaviour from the previous extension, and means the vault's master password ends up being typed into a clear text form field on the web page, in full view of everyone.
  • Similarly, clicking the search box in the extension window does not mean the search box takes focus. The focus remains in the web browser window, and so the user input ends up in the web page rather than the search box.
  • No option to update passwords in 1Password when they are changed in the website.
  • No option to edit a login from the extension.
  • No option to auto-submit after login details have been entered.

Can you tell me if you are aware of these issues and when you expect to get them resolved? I need to know so I can decide whether to stick with 1Password 6, or downgrade back to v4.

I love(d) 1Password, and have used it for years. I only did this upgrade to ensure I could sync across all devices, but doing so has really broken my workflow.

Thanks!

Robert.

1Password Version: 6.0.186d
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Personal

Comments

• nanite2000
    nanite2000
    Community Member

Just noticed a few other issues with the 1Password browser extension (now running v4.5.9.2 Beta):

• Selecting a login from a folder-based vault does nothing. So, all logins in locations other than the 'Personal' vault are now completely non-functional.
    • Clicking an area outside the extension window does not dismiss the window. In fact, it is virtually impossible to dismiss the window once opened.
  • nanite2000
    nanite2000
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

And more:

• Unable to change categories for items.
    • Unable to add or remove fields.
    • Cannot view passwords for some items. On Windows, I can see an item with the same password listed twice. The same item when viewed online in my.1password.com show no passwords at all.
    • Website URLs are ignored in most cases. When I click the 1Password icon in the browser for a given website, I do not always see a filtered view of logins relevant to that domain. Instead, an unfiltered list of all logins are shown, even though my required login has the correct website URL set up. How does filtering work in this extension?

I've got to say - if you can't modify or view the fields for your items across all devices, then what is the purpose of 1Password v6?

• nanite2000
    nanite2000
    Community Member
    • The browser extension will not run unless you have 1Password open in the background. That's crazy! Why doesn't it run as an independent service?
    • The button labelled 'Register 1Password Helper' in Options -> Browser does not appear to do anything.
  • Hi @nanite2000,

1Password 6 Beta is a beta build of a brand new program, a lot of features hasn't been implemented yet and we're starting from a new codebase that we're iterating through each update to add new features and to improve the overall experience. 1Password 6 will not be replacing 1Password 4 for a long while, we'll continue to update both versions but 1Password 6 will be released initially for 1Password.com subscribers only, even in this limited feature set but they've been asking for this since they cannot use 1Password 4 at all.

For an example, 1Password mini was only added a few weeks ago and now that it seems to be working at the core level, we're going to add more to it such as adding an option to keep 1Password mini running all the time. This way 1Password mini can be invoked as soon as you boot up and you can start using it in the web browsers without opening the main 1Password app. We don't actually do the traditional development style where we wait until all features are done before shipping, we ship a basic feature first in beta and then iterate it with feedback from our beta team.

1Password mini is a separate view of the same main 1Password process, there will only be one process for everything. This resolves the biggest complaint we had in the previous version of 1Password, where multiple services or processes had a separate lock status and it was difficult to use. With the same process, we can unlock both 1Password mini and the main 1Password app at the same time and keep it consistent. However, to get 1Password mini done, we had to first do a lot of things in the main process since 1Password mini also reuses many of the UI in the main process. So, 1Password mini will continue to be improved at the same time we improve the main app.

The button labelled 'Register 1Password Helper' in Options -> Browser does not appear to do anything.

This was added as a diagnostics tool, we've already did this for you as soon as you install or update 1Password. We found out that certain anti-malware solutions would block the registry change, thus we've added this setting to let user do this manually once they whitelist 1Password.

As soon as we add the option to keep 1Password mini running all the time, this Register 1Password Helper option will likely be removed as it won't be needed.

Editing a login in the Personal Vault instantly reveals the password stored for that login, with no option to hide it while editing. The password should remain obscured until the user explicitly clicks to reveal it!

We agree and we will figure out a way to make this happen and this is the same case for 1Password 4. The problem is that in many GUI frameworks, concealed password fields cannot be editable. To work around this, when you've switched to the item editor, we've replaced the concealed password fields with editable text fields, which isn't concealable. That's also why in the iOS app, you'd see both the concealed field and the text edit field separately as well.

They're also difficult to make accessible once concealed as well. So, for the moment, this will remain as such until we can find a proper solution but given that this is a common issue across platforms, it may not be fixable.

Copying 1 or more logins to another vault is not possible. Select 1 or more logins in a folder-based vault, and select 'Copy' - I get a message saying "Please select some items first". This renders the application largely useless on Windows.

This has been disabled in the latest beta update as we've found some older vault files were not carrying over certain data correctly to a different vault. We're rebuilding the entire migration process to make it compatible with all known vault formats, which we've already did for our new import process and it worked well. So, we're reusing the same code for the copy function and this will be restored in the next beta update.

Unable to edit a login in a folder-based Vault is not possible - 'Edit' is greyed out. This renders the application mostly useless in Windows, unless you are prepared to manually recreate all logins in your Personal vault. Doing so revelas the following other issues though:

This is intentional, local vault files are read-only in 1Password 6 Beta and will remain so for a while. 1Password 6 initially is not meant to replace 1Password 4 or to be used by folks who wants to use local vault files. Full support for local vault files will be added later.

Editing the title of a login in the Personal Vault does not save the new name when you click 'Save'.

This is a new issue in the latest builds and it will be fixed in the next update. These are UI+data refresh issues, any change that has occurred does not cause the app to reload the database to refresh the UI as well. All other 1Password apps will see the new data, so the data is in fact saved correctly but the app continues to show old data, this explains the next few issues you've mentioned which are the same issue.

Creating a new login does not always save the new login. On multiple occasions, new logins have simply vanished.

Same issue, they're saved properly but the UI hasn't been refreshed. If you lock and unlock, it will show the data.

The number of items does not change when you create new logins (maybe related to above?).

Yep, related.

When editing a field in a login, it appears you can select and edit the field label. But the changes are not saved. Is it supposed to?

Same issue as above.

No option to duplicate logins (for creating multiple accounts at the same URL).

Duplicate hasn't been implemented, it is on our list to do.

Cancelling a new login leaves you with a blank screen, when it should return you to your list of logins.

It is on our list to do.

Many relevant fields (e.g. Website) are missing when you access logins in a folder-based Vault.

It should be showing everything, can you clarify more on this? What's missing exactly?

Unable to specify multiple domains for a login. The same password can be used at multiple URLs.

This will be fixed as soon as we add full support for custom sections and custom fields. The UI right now is limited to the known template fields. A lot of updates are coming to expand on this.

Search only filters on item names, but it should also filter on all other relevant fields (Login, Website, etc...).

Full text search is on our list.

Clicking the extension button for the first time prompts for the master password. However, although the password entry box appears to have focus, the focus remains in the default input field of the web page displayed at the time. This is changed behaviour from the previous extension, and means the vault's master password ends up being typed into a clear text form field on the web page, in full view of everyone.

It's not intentional, we're trying to force it to be focused like we did in the previous version but for some reason, Windows isn't letting us do this. We're investigating for a different solution.

Similarly, clicking the search box in the extension window does not mean the search box takes focus. The focus remains in the web browser window, and so the user input ends up in the web page rather than the search box.

Same issue as above, Windows isn't letting us focus it correctly.

No option to update passwords in 1Password when they are changed in the website.

1Password mini right now is limited to basic filling with existing Login items. Saving, auto-submit, credit card/identity filling, the ability to view the item's details and so many more are planned for the near future.

No option to edit a login from the extension.

This doesn't exist for 1Password 4 either but this is something we want to do for 1Password mini. However, we won't implement this until we improve the main app first, such as adding support for custom section/fields and so on. Once we have a full item editor experience, 1Password mini would reuse it, just like the plan is to reuse the detail viewer to see the details in 1Password mini.

I need to know so I can decide whether to stick with 1Password 6, or downgrade back to v4.

If you're only using local vault files and have no plans to use 1Password.com in the near future, or you do but not enough for this limited 1Password 6 experience, stick with 1Password 4 until 1Password 6 meets your requirement.

As for timeframe, we won't be rushing through this as we want to do it right from the get-go as 1Password 6 is the future of 1Password on Windows and it needs to be much better than 1Password 4 before it can even think of replacing it.

More in the next post as I've reached the post limit.

• Selecting a login from a folder-based vault does nothing. So, all logins in locations other than the 'Personal' vault are now completely non-functional.

You said now, do you mean it worked before but stopped working now? This was only implemented in the last update, 186d. I just tried this and it works to fill from a local OPVault file. You may not be able to do this for AgileKeychain vault due to a URL issue in there.

Can you tell me which format this vault is, AgileKeychain or OPvault?

Clicking an area outside the extension window does not dismiss the window. In fact, it is virtually impossible to dismiss the window once opened.

That's related to the focusing issue in a way. If you see a white thin titlebar on top of 1Password mini, it means it is not focused. Once focused, you can dismiss it via the ESC key or click away.

Once we figure out how to focus it correctly, we should be able to dismiss it properly as well.

Unable to change categories for items.

This isn't something you can do in 1Password, there is no 1Password app that does this.

We do have a conversion process for converting a Password item to a Login item but that's only because we don't do much to change it, it's converting a simpler item to a more complex one. The rest of the items are more complex that can't be converted that easily in both direction.

We do plan to add the ability to convert a Password item to a Login item to 1Password 6 in a future update, once we add support for the auto-save process in 1Password mini, as this is a related process.

Unable to add or remove fields.

Will be addressed once we add full support for custom sections and fields.

Cannot view passwords for some items. On Windows, I can see an item with the same password listed twice. The same item when viewed online in my.1password.com show no passwords at all.

Are these items created prior to 2013? Try making a small change to them and then check again on 1Password.com.

If yes, this is a known issue related to older AgileKeychain format versions that 1Password.com doesn't know about but it is up to the app to upgrade it properly before uploading it. This will be addressed in a future update, this is a part of the reason the Copy button has been disabled.

Website URLs are ignored in most cases. When I click the 1Password icon in the browser for a given website, I do not always see a filtered view of logins relevant to that domain. Instead, an unfiltered list of all logins are shown, even though my required login has the correct website URL set up. How does filtering work in this extension?

It is matched against the subdomain and then domain. It is supposed to show all Login items that has the same domain but subdomain matches show up first on top. Favorited Login items are always on top, regardless of how it matches.

So, a.b.c will always be on top if you're on a.b.c but all Login items on b.c will show up in 1Password mini.

This is the same for all platforms but the difference is that we haven't added an option to hide domain matches if it has subdomain matches, the previous 1Password version has this listed as "Show x more items..".

It's on our list to improve further on how the Login items are ranked.

• nanite2000
    nanite2000
    Community Member

Hi MikeT,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. It answers a lot of questions I had. I'm going to try and persist with 1Password 6 for now, as the ability to have full syncronicity between all my devices is appealing. For the most part, it sounds like many of these issues will be resolved over the coming months anyway.

I would like to address a couple of specific points you made:

No option to edit a login from the extension.

This doesn't exist for 1Password 4 either but this is something we want to do for 1Password mini.

1Password 4 mini allowed you to right-click on a login, and then open that login in 1Password to allow you to edit. It was a great shortcut that would be really useful to have again.

Unable to change categories for items.

This isn't something you can do in 1Password, there is no 1Password app that does this.

OK. The reason this would be useful is because when I imported all my old logins from 1Password 4 into 1Password 6, the previous categories were ignored, and all my logins ended up as generic 'Logins'. So I've lost the previous categorisation that was really useful for finding and maintaining different logins.

Other than that, I can live with the current limitations for now. Are you able to give an estimate on when you think the WIndows beta will reach parity with the Mac version? Is it likely to be before the end of the year?

Also, is there a service I can subscribe to that will notify me when new versions of the beat are released?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 mini allowed you to right-click on a login, and then open that login in 1Password to allow you to edit. It was a great shortcut that would be really useful to have again.

@nanite2000: Agreed! However, I think we can even do better than that. ;)

OK. The reason this would be useful is because when I imported all my old logins from 1Password 4 into 1Password 6, the previous categories were ignored, and all my logins ended up as generic 'Logins'. So I've lost the previous categorisation that was really useful for finding and maintaining different logins.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Sorry for the confusion there! That actually doesn't have anything to do with 1Password 6, but rather some changes we made to the categories years ago. This is reflected in 1Password 4 if you disable Wallet and Accounts in the View menu. Things like "Email Account" and others aren't used across all platforms any more, as these were legacy categories from older versions of 1Password. After all, an email account uses a login juts like anything else. And an Email Account item is not capable of filling. So things like that were consolidated based on use.

Other than that, I can live with the current limitations for now. Are you able to give an estimate on when you think the WIndows beta will reach parity with the Mac version? Is it likely to be before the end of the year?

It's impossible to say. We're working hard to improve it every day and add features, but our priority is making each one solid, not adding them all at once to meet a deadline and them having all of them be unreliable.

Also, is there a service I can subscribe to that will notify me when new versions of the beat are released?

Each time you launch the 1Password beta, it will check for updates. You can also always find the release notes at our update site, if that's more convenient for you to check. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.