Your software has reproduced between 2-8 entries for the same password. How do stop this and correc

Options
SargeUSMC
SargeUSMC
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

I am really about to pull the plug and go back to stupid paper. It started last week and I deleted all of the repeats of the same password, after ensuring that I was not deleting anything that I needed. This AM I turned on my computer, opened 1Password and now have between 2-8 entries for the same password. Is there a Tech Support available? I mean, you know, where you can actually talk and share screens—kind of support? I am willing to pay a reasonanable fee. All of out time is important and the use of an APP that adds time to my day versus saving time is neither wise nor the best use of our time.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Really? Short and concise? I am a writer and can not get down to your limits so what do we do!?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SargeUSMC,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re feeling frustrated with 1Password. The good news is that you have reached tech support! Our team is in the forums seven days a week answering your questions. We’d be more than happy to work with you to get to the bottom of this.

Could you tell me a bit more about your 1Password ecosystem? I see that you’re using 6.3.1 on your Mac and syncing via iCloud. How many other devices are currently using 1Password?

It would also be helpful if you could describe what you’re seeing in a bit more detail. Is a particular Login item duplicated? Are you looking in the Security Audit and viewing duplicate passwords? Or, are you seeing multiple Password items like in my screenshot:

These password items are created every time you generate a new password as a failsafe (so you don’t lose the new password if you don’t save it into a Login item.)

However, if you’re seeing duplicated Login items, then it sounds like we might need to investigate sync a bit more to make sure that everything is on the same page. Once we know a bit more about what you’re seeing, we’ll have a better idea of where things are getting tangled up. :)

• SargeUSMC
    SargeUSMC
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I have at least1 iMac, 1 MacBook Pro, 1 iPhone and Possibly an iPad. Wait let me check — nope not at present but it should be so you may as well put a check mark by it. I'll put it on the next time I sync with my iMac. Soon I will be making a purchase of an iWatch, however based on recent conversations across the forums and your emails it may not go on to my watch. At least not until it works seamlessly!

I am no where special (I am at the oppening screen — see screenshot 1 below) and your questions are way over my head which is part of my issue with you guys at agile bits I am almost 70 yrs served with distinction in Viet Nam, and not dumb to technology as my last 15 years of a 27 year career at a Large soap Company in OH was in Technology and I have been using computrs siince 1986 back to—DOS 2.0 8088 technology!

I tell you all this because even your email unsettles me (infuriates).

1. I am on my opening page and this is what I get! screen shot 1
    2. All Login items including credit cards are duplicated
    3. I have NO idea what you mean by "Security Audit".
    4. Your point on 'discussions is again past my knowlwedge.

Separately, How do I open up my "Trash". Unfortunaately, over the past several years because of concerns over security I have created several G+, Gmail usernames of email addresses and they keep haunting me. So I wanted to go back to some old google accounts/paswords. Finally, and I know you are an agilbits employee and not with google but .... if you know where I can get help on managing google accounts please pass along. If you point me back to Google that is not "help" as I have tried many many times to s\de;ete and and that i think is part of the problem. Again 1 account for 1 person across several Mac platforms.

As I have said several times before; I use 1Password for 1 reason Password protection and access. I have also joined and or subscribed to services offered by agilebits that I do not need nor want, nor can I remember what they were. (memory issues)O, BTW, it does do a very good job of auto fill on ost sites. Yes, I am a grumpy old man (not really), but you are young and have a great smile so I expect your comeback will be more civil than my note. Listen, I am just frustrated! As a product of some health issues I need to K.I.S.S.. So send me the "Dummy" version.

Now, To make matters even more concerning is in the time it has taken me to write this email it seems to have cleared up. Please explain in a non-tech, plain english, way way what jut happened (see screenshot 2). Which is really more bothersome than the original issue and that is "unpredictability!"

SargeUSMC

1. [screenshot edited by AgileBits]

2. [screenshot edited by AgileBits]

Sarge

1.jpg 216.7K
    2.jpg 211.4K
  • SargeUSMC
    SargeUSMC
    Community Member
    Options

What I thought was a corrected window of 1Passwords was in fact a copy of a previous copy of the window. In other words — it has NOT self corrected! and I notice that the numbering system is backwards screen shot should be 2 and 2 — 1

Sarge

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SargeUSMC,

I'm very sorry we weren't able to get back to you about this as quickly as we normally do! I wanted to let you know that I edited both of your screenshots because they were showing one of your Login passwords (as well as some usernames and an email address). These are public forums, which means anyone could be reading this - therefore you definitely don’t want to post screenshots that show any personal/private data (especially not passwords). I've made sure that info is no longer visible in your screenshots, but to be safe, I highly recommend you change your password for that website account.

...your questions are way over my head...

I apologize if you didn't understand the questions or information in our last reply! It can often be difficult for us to determine how familiar/comfortable a customer is with 1Password, the devices they're using, or the terminology we use. We'll try our best to make our messages easier for you to understand. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need us to clarify anything! :)

So, getting back to the problem and a few things you mentioned:

1. I am on my opening page and this is what I get! screen shot 1

In screenshot 1, I see that you've opened the main 1Password app and the Logins category is selected. There are a couple Login items there named "Houzz" but they don't seem to be duplicates of each other since they appear to have different usernames. I don't see any other duplicate items in screenshot 1 - so far, so good! ;)

2. All Login items including credit cards are duplicated

Are you referring to screenshot 2? I definitely see lots of duplicates in screenshot 2, but I also notice you're looking at the items in the Trash, which you've selected in the left sidebar of 1Password:

When you delete items in 1Password, they're moved to the Trash, and they remain there until you empty the Trash (which you can do by choosing 1Password > Empty Trash from the menu bar). According to your screenshots, you have 292 items in the Trash. You may have moved some of those there yourself. Or, if you've ever moved items from one vault to another vault (possibly when migrating to a 1Password subscription account), that would actually make copies of those items in the destination vault while the originals are moved to the Trash. Could that explain why you're seeing so many items in the Trash?

If you see any items in the Trash that you think shouldn't be there, try looking for copies of those in "All Items" (which you can click on at the very top of the sidebar, right below the red/yellow/green buttons). If you find up-to-date copies of those items in "All Items", that means you don't need the copies in the Trash.

3. I have NO idea what you mean by "Security Audit".

Security Audit is a feature that helps you find items with weak passwords, multiple items that each use the same password, passwords that might need to be updated, and so on. You can find it in the sidebar of the main 1Password app (in screenshot 2, you can see it listed in the sidebar right below 'Tags'). If you're curious, we have information about that in our user guide here: Security Audit

The reason Megan asked you about that is because one of its features is to show you duplicate passwords (in other words, items in your vault that use the exact same password), so it seemed like a possible place where you were seeing multiple items with the same password, as you described in your first post. But we now know that's not the case, as you're seeing those duplicates in the Trash instead.

4. Your point on 'discussions is again past my knowlwedge.

I'm afraid I don't know what you're referring to here, as Megan didn't use the word "discussions" in her message. If there was something she said which you didn't understand, just let us know and we'll be happy to elaborate.

What I thought was a corrected window of 1Passwords was in fact a copy of a previous copy of the window. In other words — it has NOT self corrected! and I notice that the numbering system is backwards screen shot should be 2 and 2 — 1

Hmm, I'm actually having trouble understanding what you mean - but I'm hoping what I wrote about your items in the Trash might explain what you're seeing. (If not, please let us know!)

It looks like you might have some other questions, but I'd like to stop here just to make sure we're on the same page. Again, I'm sorry for any confusion! I hope this helps, but if you're still having trouble or don't understand something, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

3.png 25.7K
  • SargeUSMC
    SargeUSMC
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you sooooooo much for understanding. It seems lately I have been through the gauntlet with apps (itunes, Stickies, Photos and my new iMac 2016 5K computer which doesn't perform as well asmy 2011). As I said in the beginning, I think, I have been using computers since 1986, and moved into a Sales Technology Manager position with a large 'soap' company in Cincinnati, OH. All that to say I know enough to know when something is about to explode and give you the drraded "general Fault" message which translated into = "Format Hard Drive and reload system software.

Using your numbering as a guide - I respond:

1. What I typed in my first post did not translate well in the sent message. Shot 1 was of a normal screen when it worked. Shot 2 is the screen that came up yesterday when I opened 1Password. When I realized that the language I sent was not, in fact, accurate I immediately sent a correction and so based on your message text have not read the followup email. I mis-spoke, mis-typed, shot 1 should be the picture labeled shot 2. Does this now make more sense?

The Houzz dups are as a result of my wife (probably) realizing after crerating the entry with the usernamem as hayfi.... . Then made a correction and created the second with the correct username or intended user name. After I check with her tonight I will delete one of them.

1. Yes, I was referring to Screen Shot 2! Well, there is the issue! Lesson 1, Jim, learn the software. I will go to the website and look for "start using" 1Password!!! Dah!

I am NOT finished but need to get some other work done so I will end here this evening and try more later. You have been very helpful and I much appreciate your customer service attitude.

Jim

While I am thinking about this could you send me the hyperlink to the answer to this question: Is it better for my wife to purchase her own copy (my vote is — yes) or how door can I put her on my license? I vote her own as she has twice as many enties as I do and the K.I.S.S. principle is flushed down the toilet so to speak. But back to the original issue.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @SargeUSMC! It sounds like you've had more than your share of trouble with apps and Macs, which is never much fun. Hopefully we're able to help alleviate at least part of that frustration! :)

I'm glad to hear my guess was correct, and that you just didn't realize you were looking at the contents of the Trash in 1Password. I can see how that would be confusing! Unless you think you moved some items to the Trash by accident, you can probably just go ahead and empty the Trash to avoid confusion (choose 1Password > Empty Trash from the menu bar).

But if you're not sure and/or want to be extra cautious, you might want to take a look through the Trash to see if there are any items that shouldn't be deleted. Remember that the Trash might have some duplicates of items that are already safe and sound in 'All Items' (or in one of the item categories listed below All Items). But if you come across an item in the Trash you need to save, you can click the 'Restore' button at the bottom of that item's details.

I will go to the website and look for "start using" 1Password!!!

If it helps, you can find the 1Password for Mac user guide here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/

I am NOT finished but need to get some other work done so I will end here this evening and try more later.

No problem! If you need more help with that, just let us know.

While I am thinking about this could you send me the hyperlink to the answer to this question: Is it better for my wife to purchase her own copy (my vote is — yes) or how door can I put her on my license? I vote her own as she has twice as many enties as I do and the K.I.S.S. principle is flushed down the toilet so to speak.

The answer really depends on a few things, but the first thing I wanted to say is that the number of items you and your wife have in 1Password doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not a new license is needed. That's more of a question about how best to organize your data.

As far as whether or not your wife needs her own license, that depends on what's you're currently using / what you've already purchased:

• Did you sign up for a 1Password account? A 1Password account allows you to use the 1Password apps for all supported platforms without having to buy licenses for each one. 1Password Families would be ideal for you and your wife because the subscription fee covers up to 5 members, and makes sharing data with each other very easy. If you signed up for an individual account, you can change that to a Families account. We have information on both types of accounts here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

• Did you purchase a standalone license for 1Password for Mac/Windows (i.e. a license for just the app with no account/subscription) from our own AgileBits Store? If so, and assuming you bought it on or after March 22 of this year, that license is meant to be used by one person, so a separate license would be required for your wife. You can find some more information about how a license works here: https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

• Did you purchase 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store? If so, and your wife uses a different Apple ID on her own Mac, you can set up Apple's Family Sharing option, which allows other family members to download 1Password from the Mac App Store for no additional charge. Apple has steps to set up Family Sharing on their support site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18977

If you have questions about that or don't understand something I mentioned, please let us know and we'll be happy to elaborate! :)

• SargeUSMC
    SargeUSMC
    Community Member
    Options

I realize I owe you more explanation, breally like the new Windows 10 ut it will have to ait until I can complete some more important matters, my apologizes and that is not to say, "you are not important!! You are very important. to me and hopefully millions!

I do have a question I have been away from a PC for sometime but have the need to make a Microsoft (something) laptop purchase with
    Dragon pro. Huge difference between the PC Dragon capability vs. a Mac. I'll be back.

Later

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SargeUSMC,

No problem if you aren't able to get back to us right away - we're here for you whenever you need us! If you have more questions for us, we'll be happy to answer them. :)

• SargeUSMC
    SargeUSMC
    Community Member
    Options

Drew,

Is there anyway to have a phone conversation of do a screen share — on my dime (willing to pay any amount and would want to make the call to you from here as I have a very cheap plan to call back to CONUS. I am back from two weeks in the states and we may have to work on this in the new year as we will be moving back in Earlly December. Here are the issues:

• Too many vaults (it seems and really don't understand – vaults) 1 primary, a shared, a jt-jordan only (2) personal and (3) shared. I did this so that my wife could use it but she insist on paper. I want to take her off and be rid of the jt-jordan vault(?).
    • The jt-jordan is causing issues with logins I don't recognize.
    • Still do not understand why my autofill does work "everytime." And it conflicts with safari as it also wants to save my password in "key chain." It is really all veryconfussing
    • I sometime end up with more than one entry for a single login.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 4.25.32 PM.png

• SargeUSMC
    SargeUSMC
    Community Member
    Options

How can I permanently delete everything excluding my "Primary" account?" no Vaults(s) primary ONLY!!! I am trying to do this across all technologies i.e. deleting everything to include adding a new email so that I no longer get the unwanted political cr p! You will get a new email address within the next 30-60 days!

JJ

• SargeUSMC
    SargeUSMC
    Community Member
    Options

If this does not work I will go to paper and a safe that weighs 2000+ lb.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SargeUSMC,

Good to hear from you! It's been a few months and I'm sorry to hear you're still running into some confusion with 1Password, but I'm sure we can help you get things all sorted out. I also wanted to mention that we're a small team and don't have the means to provide inbound phone support, so we try our best to solve problems via forums or email. A benefit of that is it allows you to work on the problem at your own pace. Also, it's often necessary to send us diagnostics reports, screenshots, or other information that cannot be sent over the phone.

It looks like there are a few things causing problems and confusion, but from your description, it sounds like the major concern is the current setup of 1Password on your Mac (too many vaults due to a mix of local and account vaults, as well as extra and/or duplicate Login items). I want to make sure you don't accidentally delete anything you need, so please don't try to remove any vaults yet.

At this point, the easiest way for us to understand your current setup and how things are configured is for you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. In case it helps, you can include this link in the email: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67896

Once you send the report, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.