Transfer from Mac standalone license to account

Options
Carmine_Cicci
Carmine_Cicci
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

I signed up this morning to the new 1Password account but I cannot get to transfer my vault from my Mac standalone app to the new product. On my sign in page, I get two boxes that say "built-in plug-in blocked". Am I going to have the same problems on the 1Password apps that are on my iPhone and iPad ?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Carmine_Cicci,

The new 1Password accounts still use the 1Password for Mac app, so you won’t be moving your data out of the apps and into the web view, but rather changing which vaults your current data lives in.

We’ve got instructions on how to migrate your data here:

Migrate your Data into a 1Password account

Am I going to have the same problems on the 1Password apps that are on my iPhone and iPad ?

Once you have migrated your data on your Mac, all you’ll need to do is sign in to your 1Password account in 1Password on your iOS devices, and all your data will be accessible.

I hope this gets you all sorted, but we’re here if you have any questions or concerns!

• Carmine_Cicci
    Carmine_Cicci
    Community Member
    Options

Megan;
    I tried to do this this morning before I asked for support and maybe I'm not following the instructions correctly but the steps did not occur as written. I can't seem to have the web version of 1Password and the Mac app running at the same time. I also don't seem to get the QR code to scan, nor when i click on share do I seen the new Personal vault that should be there.

• Hi @Carmine_Cicci ,

I'm sorry you are having trouble signing in. You should be able to run the Mac app and log into the web site at the same time. There is no mechanism for one to prevent the other.

You mentioned the steps did not occur as written. Perhaps the following steps will help. If you get stuck at any point, please let us know which step it was, and what happened to cause you to get stuck.

1. Are you able to sign into my.1password.com with your web browser. If not, what error message do you get?
    2. If you are able to sign in, click on your name in the upper right corner of the web page and choose "Get the Apps" in the menu. Does it show the QR code on the right side of the screen? If not, please describe in detail what happened.
    3. If you are able to display the bar code, move the web page window so that the bar code is at the edge of the screen.

4. Now leave the web page open and launch 1Password and unlock it.

5. Open the 1Password Preferences and click on Accounts. Click the + button at the bottom left side of the window.
    6. Click "Scan QR Code" to bring up the scanning window.
    7. Position the scanning window so that the square is overtop the QR code from the web page.
    8. It should then bring up a screen with most of it filled in. Enter your account Master Password to complete the log in.

It should then add the account vaults to your 1Password. If any of the steps above do not work, please let us know which step it was, and what happened. With that information, we should be able to get you up and running soon.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Carmine_Cicci
    Carmine_Cicci
    Community Member
    Options

Was able to complete steps 1 through 5 with no problem other than when I signed in to my.1password.com, there were to boxes in the upper left that said "Blocked Plug-in". At step 6 however, the problem started. The QR code scanning wind came up and then disappeared and the program quit. I got a message "Problem report quit unexpectedly" and the report was sent to Apple. I copied all the report and have saved it as a Pages file if it of any use to you. I tried to attach it to this message but I got a message that the file was not allowed.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Carmine_Cicci,

Thank you for the details on how far you got in those steps and what happened at that point! So, it sounds like the problem is that you can't sign in to your account in the 1Password for Mac app (because it crashes when you click "Scan QR Code"). I don't know what would cause that, but the first thing I'd like you to try is to simply reboot your Mac. After it restarts, launch the 1Password app again and see if the same problem happens.

If the app still crashes when you click "Scan QR Code", have you tried the "Sign In Manually" option instead? We're certainly happy to continue looking into the problem when you try to scan the QR code, but if you just want to sign into your account and don't really care how you do that, it's probably faster at this point if you click on "Sign In Manually" and enter your account info manually (scanning a QR code simply fills three of those fields for you).

Please let us know how it goes - if clicking "Scan QR Code" still crashes 1Password after rebooting your Mac, and you want to continue to troubleshoot that instead of signing in manually, we'll be happy to continue from there. :)

• Carmine_Cicci
    Carmine_Cicci
    Community Member
    Options

Drew;
    Now I'm even more confused. I had tried rebooting my Mac before with no change. I went directly to the "Sign In Manually" option and as soon as i tried to sign in to the standalone 1Password on my Mac, I got that "Problem Report Quit Unexpectedly:" box, but I was still able to open 1Password and follow the steps. So now on my standalone Mac version I have in the upper left hand corner "All Vaults and underneath Primary (which has all the info I have added to date) and underneath a little blue flag beside my name Carmine Cicci and underneath that Personal. When i go to the 1Password account however, I only see Personal under vaults and it's blank. So how do I get my primary to show up here so it's accessible from my Windows 10 virtual machine.

If we can't get this to happen, then I'll cancel the 1Password Account and just keep the standalone apps on my Mac and my IOS devices.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Carmine_Cicci,

I'm happy to hear you were able to sign into your account in the Mac app! At least that's one step that's out of the way, and the rest is easier than it probably seems. But if you have more problems with the 1Password app crashing in general, please let us know and we'll take a further look into that.

Now at this point you have a couple different vaults in 1Password on your Mac:

• Primary - This is the vault you've been using up to this point and currently contains all your data. The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password account, which is why you don't see it when you sign into your account from a web browser. We often refer to it as a "standalone" or "local" vault because by default, it only exists on the device where you created it (although it can be synced to other devices using iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN). From the information in your first message, it sounds like you've been syncing your Primary vault with your iPhone and iPad via iCloud.

• Personal - This vault is part of your new account, which is why it appears under "Carmine Cicci" (the name of your new account) in the vault selector / drop-down menu in 1Password for Mac. Anything you put in the Personal vault will also be shown when you sign into your account from a web browser. Therefore, you just need to move your items from the Primary vault to the Personal vault.

It's very easy to move your items to your account, and we show you exactly how to do that here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I don't think you'll run into any problems with that, but if for some reason you do (or if you have any questions), please let us know. :)

• Carmine_Cicci
    Carmine_Cicci
    Community Member
    Options

Drew;
    I haven't transferred my data from my primary vault to my personal vault yet because I have one question which I probably should have asked at the outset and couldn't find an answer to on your website. If I use 1Password Account, were is my data stored? Does it still remain on my device as it does now with the standalone apps that I have or is it on your servers?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Carmine_Cicci,

If I use 1Password Account, were is my data stored? Does it still remain on my device as it does now with the standalone apps that I have or is it on your servers?

As with the standalone apps, a copy of your database is stored on your computer or device to ensure that you have access to your data even if you don’t have access to the Internet. But you are correct: a copy of the data stored in your 1Password accounts is stored on our servers. This is how we’re able to offer you features like web access, and automatic syncing.

• Carmine_Cicci
    Carmine_Cicci
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much Megan. One of the main reasons why I choose 1Password was because unlike other password managers, it did not store my data. I think for the moment then I will stick with the standalone versions on my Apple devices. How do I go about closing my newly opened 1Password Account.

• Carmine_Cicci
    Carmine_Cicci
    Community Member
    Options

I just got a notification that Drew responded to my discussion but when I went to retrieve the comment, there was nothing there.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Carmine_Cicci,

On behalf of Megan, you're very welcome!

One of the main reasons why I choose 1Password was because unlike other password managers, it did not store my data.

You're not alone - there are many others who chose 1Password for that same reason. That's a big part of why we still sell and support standalone licenses for 1Password - we know there's still a strong demand for that, and we're happy to continue offering that option to customers who don't want to store their data on our servers. :)

In case you're curious, one of the main reasons we started our new 1Password accounts/subscriptions is because having our own hosted service allows us to offer awesome new features like web access to your data, easy sync (just sign into your account, no other sync setup), item history, never having to deal with licenses or paid upgrades, and more. Plus, those who have a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account have additional features such as easy sharing with family/friends/team members, permission control, and account recovery. These are things which aren't feasible (or at least not very easy) without having our own hosted service.

Please also know that we take security very seriously, which is why we took extra steps to make customer data secure on our servers. A big part of that is the Account Key, which is a randomly generated 128-bit key that is used in combination with your master password to encrypt your data using tamper-proof, authenticated 256 bit AES encryption. Your master password and Account Key are never transmitted to us or anywhere else, so no one but you can decrypt your data.

If you'd like to read more about the security of a 1Password account, we have information here: https://1password.com/security/ (If you read that, be sure to also read the white paper linked at the bottom of that page, as it goes into more detail on how we keep your data safe.)

Having said all that, a standalone license may be the better option for more technically-inclined customers who want more control and flexibility when it comes to where their data is stored. Or maybe 1Password has been working very well for you and you don't want to change that. Either way, no problem! :)

I think for the moment then I will stick with the standalone versions on my Apple devices. How do I go about closing my newly opened 1Password Account.

Please keep in mind that if you signed up for an individual account, you have 6 months of free service to try it out (which is part of our launch special), so there's no rush - you have plenty of time to try out your 1Password account if you'd like (and there's no commitment - you don't even need to add your credit card). But if you're sure you'd like to delete your account, you can simply follow these steps:

• Sign in to your account on my.1Password.com
    • Click the down arrow at the top right corner (next to your name) and choose My Profile
    • Click on Permanently Delete Account at the bottom of the page

I hope that helps, but as always, if you have more questions or need help, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

• Carmine_Cicci
    Carmine_Cicci
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. I'll take time to give this more thought and I'll definitely read your suggestions.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @Carmine_Cicci! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or even general feedback about any of that. :)

This discussion has been closed.