1Password Windows 10 app

JaggEdges
JaggEdges
Community Member

I subscribed to 1 password for families and downloaded the app for Windows 10 (which I re-installed from scratch). I was fully expecting that it would automatically install the browser extensions just like the 1password 4 for windows. But it didn't. So I'm not quite sure how to use the Win 10 application to automatically login to web sites. I tried to manually add the extension to my browser but it needed the 1password 4 installed. So I'm confused--why do I need the Win 10 app and 1password 4 for windows at the same time? I only wanted 1 centralized vault for my myself which is stored in Dropbox. Needless to say, I went back to using the old application.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I subscribed to 1 password for families and downloaded the app for Windows 10 (which I re-installed from scratch). I was fully expecting that it would automatically install the browser extensions just like the 1password 4 for windows. But it didn't. So I'm not quite sure how to use the Win 10 application to automatically login to web sites.

@JaggEdges: I'm sorry for the confusion! No version of 1Password can automatically install browser extensions, as the browsers don't allow this for security reasons. But all recent versions of 1Password use the same extensions. You can get them from our website:

1Password browser extensions

1Password also will not automatically do anything else either. It will only fill saved login credentials for you when you tell it to, either by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser or pressing the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl \).

I tried to manually add the extension to my browser but it needed the 1password 4 installed. So I'm confused--why do I need the Win 10 app and 1password 4 for windows at the same time? I only wanted 1 centralized vault for my myself which is stored in Dropbox. Needless to say, I went back to using the old application.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. If you want to use 1Password Families, you'll need to use 1Password 6. 1Password 4 predates the service and is not compatible. However, if you'd prefer to use a local vault and sync with Dropbox, you should use 1Password 4. 1Password Families does not use Dropbox since sync is built in. Please let me know how you'd like to proceed and we'll figure out the best course of action! :)

• ssenecal
    ssenecal
    Community Member

I've recently switched from RoboForm to 1password. I'm running Windows 10 for business and Mac OS and iOS for all my other devices. I'm running 1Password Beta 4.5.9.3 on my Windows 10 Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586. I'm running Chrome, I've applied the Chrome extension [several times, installed, un-installed, installed, etc...]. When I login with the extension with Chrome on my Windows 10, I'm not seeing any of my logins in any of my vaults. I can see them in 1Password 6's app. This works fine on my Mac OS and Chrome or Safari browser, it's just not working on my Windows 10.

1Password Version: 1Password 6.0.186d
    Extension Version: 1Password Beta 4.5.9.3
    OS Version: Windows 10 Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Sync Type: Families
    Browser version: Chrome Version 52.0.2743.116 m (64-bit)

Some assistance would be most appreciated.

• @ssenecal Sorry about that. Do you happen to have the 1Password 4 app for Windows installed as well? Only 1Password 6 supports family accounts, and that will need to be connected to the browser extension for filling to work. Make sure the app is open while you're trying to use the extension, and if it still isn't working, click the gear icon in 1Password 6 and choose Options. Then switch to the Browsers tab in the sidebar and click Register 1Password Helper. Now try the extension one more time, and let us know how it goes. :)

This discussion has been closed.