Trying/failing to get 1Password data onto new Macbook

dd8
dd8
Community Member

Hello.

Here's my situation: I'd been using 1Password v4.1 (iTunes store purchase) happily on my MacBook for a couple of years. I got a new MacBook and downloaded 1Password. I had no luck whatsoever trying to get access to my 1Password data on the new machine. The software on the new machine apparently expired, so I've deleted it.

Today I tried to open 1Password on my old machine to take another stab at making some progress on this, and it said my copy was damaged and couldn't be opened, and that I should delete it and go to iTunes to download a new one... So I did, but all I found there are iPhone and iPad versions, and I'm not looking to use this on an iPhone or an iPad.

So I went to 1password.com, thinking I might find something useful to do there, but I can't sign in without a sign-in address for a 1Password account, which apparently I don't have.

Can someone please walk me through this process? I'm so totally baffled at this point, I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @dd8 , I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems transferring your data from your old Mac to another.
    If you purchased your original 1Password license via iTunes, you should see it in your purchases when you log in with the Apple ID that you originally used for the purchase. You can re-download it from there.
    Alternatively — as you only wish to copy/move your data — you can download the trial version of 1Password from the AgileBits store. Older versions of the app are included at the bottom of the page.
    None of the downloads on the above page require an account.
    • Once you have successfully downloaded and installed the app, the easiest way to synchronise your two Macs would be via the iCloud or via Dropbox.
    Complete syncing instructions can be found here.
    • At the bottom of this page, you will also find instructions for syncing to a folder. If you follow these instructions, you could then copy the synchronised folder to a USB stick and copy the folder over to your new Mac that way.

I hope this helps, but if anything remains unsolved get back to us here. There's always someone around to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dd8

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password! What you need to do is simply sync your devices so your data will be available everywhere. The easiest way to do this for you would be to use iCloud, the link that Rob provided should help with that! Now, you should be able to go to the AppStore on your Mac and find 1Password there, for Mac, not iOS. Alternatively, it should appear on your Purchased tab there.

Please let us know how this goes for you and if you need help with anything else, or you get stuck anywhere just let us know. You'll be up and running in no time! :chuffed:

• dd8
    dd8
    Community Member

Thanks, Rob and Pilar--I appreciate it. I'm still struggling, though.

On iTunes, I can find 1Password in my purchase history (Account - View My Account - Purchase History), but that's just a receipt; there's nothing to click on to re-download it. And when I search for a 1Password to download, I'm still only being shown options for iPhone and iPad, not Mac. In my Library under Apps, I'm only being given iPhone Apps, iPad Apps, and iPod Games as options to choose from, and 1Password isn't available in any of them. If there's some other "Purchased" tab I should be seeing, or a special place where Mac App purchases are indexed in my iTunes, I have no clue where those are.

In any event...

I downloaded a version of 1Password 4 from the Agilebits site onto the new machine and got to the "Where is your data?" screen (after clicking "I've used 1Password before"), so I'm at least poised to be able to try to sync via iCloud or dropbox. But I'm not sure where to attempt to sync from, since my 1Password files were damaged and deleted from the old machine. That information isn't on my old machine anymore, nor is it in my dropbox or iCloud.... So unless agilebits has it stored somewhere, it would seem that I'm out of luck and all of this effort is for naught. Am I missing something?

Also: I downloaded 1P4 for the old machine, but for some reason I can't get to the "I've used 1Password before" screen. When I launch, I get the "Got a Question about 1Password support page", and every option that I try from there seems to be sending me to the world in which one has to have a 1Password.com account. And, in any case, even if I could get it to the same place where I am on the new machine, I have no idea where to tell it to find all the old data.

I am so baffled. I'm sure that the fact that I've got 1P4 doing radically different things on two machines is just one indication of many that there's a massively embarrassing facepalm-worthy case of user ineptitude going on here. I just can't believe it's this difficult. Any more help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dd8,

I'm sorry this has all been so confusing and frustrating for you! After reading through both of your messages here, I think I understand what happened and what's going on (a few things, actually), and it's likely your data is still on your Mac and not damaged at all. We'll do our best to help you get it all straightened out! :)

...when I search for a 1Password to download, I'm still only being shown options for iPhone and iPad, not Mac.

You said you're looking for 1Password in iTunes, but the iTunes Store only sells apps for iOS devices (like your iPhone and iPad). You won't find any Mac apps in iTunes, so that's why you can't find 1Password for Mac in there.

Instead, you may have purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, which is separate from iTunes (on your Mac, it would be an app called "App Store" - if you don't see it in the Dock, look for it in the Applications folder). Open the Mac App Store app, make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you would have used to purchase 1Password, and click on the Purchased section at the top of the window. Find 1Password in that list and click the Install button next to it.

The software on the new machine apparently expired, so I've deleted it.

If you downloaded 1Password for Mac from our download site, it would require a license file for activation. But if you bought 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, you don't have (nor do you need) a license file because your purchase is tied to your Apple ID. Instead of downloading it from our site, you would need to re-download it from the Mac App Store.

Today I tried to open 1Password on my old machine to take another stab at making some progress on this, and it said my copy was damaged and couldn't be opened, and that I should delete it and go to iTunes to download a new one...

It sounds like you were getting an error message like the one here: If you see the message "1Password is damaged and can't be opened"

If that's the error you saw, there's nothing wrong with your 1Password data - that error just means the app itself couldn't be opened (despite what the message says, it's usually related to a certificate issue in the Mac App Store, and it's something that can affect various apps installed from there). If your 1Password data is still on that old Mac, it should be safe. Just follow the steps in the above article.

Even if you need to delete the 1Password app from the old Mac and reinstall it, your data will be safe because it's stored separately from the app. Just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools when you delete the 1Password app file. Once you re-download 1Password from the Mac App Store on the old Mac and open it, it should be able to find your data and ask for your master password to unlock it.

So I went to 1password.com, thinking I might find something useful to do there, but I can't sign in without a sign-in address for a 1Password account, which apparently I don't have.

Sorry for the confusion! A 1Password account is a new subscription service we started this year. Once we get things working for you again, it's something you might want to consider, but it's completely optional.

I downloaded 1P4 for the old machine, but for some reason I can't get to the "I've used 1Password before" screen. When I launch, I get the "Got a Question about 1Password support page", and every option that I try from there seems to be sending me to the world in which one has to have a 1Password.com account.

Your data should still be on your old Mac, but if you downloaded 1Password from our website on your old Mac, it may not have been able to find data from the Mac App Store version. Again, if you originally bought 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, you'll need to reinstall it from the Mac App Store. If your data is still on that old Mac, it should find it -and if so, we can help you sync that data to 1Password on the new Mac.

I hope this helps, but please let us know how it goes and if you run into trouble or have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• dd8
    dd8
    Community Member

Thanks, Drew. That's extremely helpful.

It was a while ago that I got that error message and deleted 1Password from my old machine, and I don't remember exactly what happened, but I have a feeling that I did end up using an app cleaning tool. So I guess I'm probably hosed.

Just now I went back to a Time Machine backup of my old computer, and I found a recent backup file that ends in .1p4_zip. I copied it to my Dropbox in hopes that I could have 1P on my new machine find it there, but 1P on my new machine is telling me that it needs a file that ends in ".agilekeychain" or ".opvault", neither of which I have on the old machine backup. Is there anything I can do with that .1p4_zip file, or am I just, you know, hosed?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Just one minor point. At one time (certainly at the time you bought) Apple was being very confusing in that purchases from the Mac App Store (which, as Drew says, is different from the iTunes store for iOS) had the receipt marked as coming from iTunes.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

++ Good point @danco! That certainly could have caused some confusion about where the app was from and where to re-download it.

Hi @dd8,

I'm glad you were able to find a backup file! You can definitely try restoring the data contained in that backup. It sounds like you chose the 'Dropbox' or 'This Mac' option on the "Where is your data?" screen during the setup. Those options are meant to be used if you have your data in a .agilekeychain or .opvault file. Those are two different sync file formats, and they work differently than backup files. Instead, you can restore from a .1p4_zip backup file by following these steps:

• Move the .1p4_zip file from Dropbox to the Desktop on the new Mac (that will make it easier to find).
    • Open the 1Password app - assuming you haven't set it up as a new user on that Mac yet, you should see a setup screen.
    • Click Find it elsewhere, select Restore from backup, then click the Choose Backup... button.
    • Select your .1p4_zip backup file and click the Restore button.
    • Reopen the 1Password app - this time, it should ask for your master password.

Does that work, and do you now have your data in 1Password on the new Mac? Please let us know how it goes. :)

• dd8
    dd8
    Community Member

Thanks, all. It took a while, but I'm up and running again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's excellent news, thank you for letting us know how it all turned out! I'm sure that must be a big relief. If you need more help with 1Password, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.