Question re: password auto-fill option

rchars
rchars
Community Member
edited August 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I can’t figure out how to use (click link and fill in password) for sites, even though I have the 1Password extension.

I just downloaded and installed the extension this afternoon on a Windows 7 Pro machine. After that, I downloaded and installed version 6 beta of the Windows 1Password app. The Windows app can open my Groups account for 1Password. The Chrome extension appears to only contain passwords that were in my version 4 or 5 for Windows local password vault (synced to Dropbox). How do I get the extension to show my Groups vault?

I am basically wondering if it is possible to have multiple user accounts that are able to use the auto-fill option in web browsers without the being able to view the passwords? The scenario would be if certain users need to access confidential info (1 website) with a secure password that is being used for other applications/websites. We only want them to be able to auto-fill and login to the one site without seeing or being able to use the password elsewhere. Is this even possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rchars,

It sounds like you still have 1Password 4's Helper running that is connected to your 1Password browser extension.

Try this and see if it'll help:

1. Right-click on your task bar to bring up the Task Manager.
    2. In the processes tab, search for Agile1pAgent.exe and right-click on it to terminate it.
    3. Open 1Password 6 Beta app, unlock, and then restart your browser, click on the 1Password icon in your browser, you should then see 1Password mini show up now with your 1Password Teams' data.

I am basically wondering if it is possible to have multiple user accounts that are able to use the auto-fill option in web browsers without the being able to view the passwords?

You can share a vault with teammates that has no Reveal Password permission set on it, they won't be able to reveal the password in 1Password app and extension but 1Password can fill it in for them.

However, note that this is not meant to prevent people from figuring out what the password is but to prevent any accidental revealing of the passwords. They can install different extensions in the browser to reveal any filled passwords, there is no 100% proven method to prevent anyone from knowing the password.

One thing that might be of a burden is that if the extension doesn't fill properly, there is no way to copy the password to paste it in manually either. This won't work for apps as well since the extension can only be used to integrate with the web browsers.

• rchars
    rchars
    Community Member

Hi Mike -

Appreciate your response. Gave what you recommended a try, but am still unable to get the team vault to show up within the desktop app to allow the autofill part to happen. Not seeing a way to point to it either, other than potentially being able to save the vault to a network location, and locally pointing to it that way. Have not tried this yet, though.

And even if this is possible to get the team vault to show up within the desktop app, would it include the option for the user to autofill a password without have typed it before; along with not being able to reveal it within their app? I know you mentioned above that there are other ways of a user potentially being able to reveal the passwords, but not sure if this option can be turned off within the desktop app as well; seeing as how it's for a single user (them being the admin) as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rchars: I'm not entirely sure I understand, but just to be clear, 1Password cannot fill any information it does not already have; and similarly, 1Password will never fill anything without you telling it to, either by clicking the 1Password browser extension button or pressing the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl \).

If you login to your 1Password Account at 1Password.com, do you see your data in your vault there? You'll need to login to the same account in 1Password 6 to access any of those vaults. Please let me know what you find!

• Hi @rchars,

Not seeing a way to point to it either, other than potentially being able to save the vault to a network location, and locally pointing to it that way. Have not tried this yet, though.

This sounds like you're using 1Password 4, not 1Password 6 Beta as 1Password.com doesn't have any files you can save to any location. 1Password 4 cannot work with 1Password.com, you must use 1Password 6 Beta from here.

would it include the option for the user to autofill a password without have typed it before; along with not being able to reveal it within their app? I know you mentioned above that there are other ways of a user potentially being able to reveal the passwords, but not sure if this option can be turned off within the desktop app as well; seeing as how it's for a single user (them being the admin) as well.

It applies to both the desktop app and the 1Password mini, they're not separate entities. 1Password mini is a separate view of the main app, so if it cannot be revealed in the app, it can't be revealed in 1Password mini either.

With reveal password permission set to no, the auto-fill will still work to fill in the password onto the web site. The user can still auto-save into this specific vault but they can't edit it.

• rchars
    rchars
    Community Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. I was in fact using 1Password 4, so installing version 6 solved the issue of the admin vault not showing up.

I was also able to figure out how to create a separate vault and grant its users access to specific sites, etc; basically allowing those users to not reveal the passwords, but to autofill them with the browser add-in.

I'll be sure to reach out if I run into any other issues. Thanks again!

• On behalf of the team here, you're welcome.

We're here to help anytime, so if you have questions, not just issues, we'd be happy to answer them.

This discussion has been closed.