1Password Windows: Chrome not toggling login checkboxes

Fixed in 1.0.7.beta-207
Hi!

I've manually added autologin field for saved L/P data to enable auto tick of Log me on automatically each visit checkbox. But it does NOT work for me. Example:

Board http://www.phpbb.com/community/ucp.php?mode=login

My new field called autologin (same as HTML object), value 1 (also tried yes), type checkbox, designator none. And it does not work. I can successfully login from 1Pass, but 1Pass does not tick Log me on automatically each visit (autologin) checkbox .

I tried on few other phpBB boards, but all the same.

Please help.

Comments

  • edited May 2011
    You should bring up the 1Password browser extension, and then click "Save Login". This should create a new login item, including the checkbox (assuming it is checked).
  • DBrownDBrown 1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Heh, heh. You beat me, Stefan!

    I was just creating this illustration of the way to get this done:

    2011-05-25_08-06-42.png

    Note that, in step 1, you need to have enabled the option as you want 1Password to save it.

    This method is documented in Saving a Login item in the Tutorials section of the user's guide.

    I just confirmed that the Login created in this manner does enable the option automatically on subsequent visits.
  • Stefan von Dutch, DBrown
    I just confirmed that the Login created in this manner does enable the option automatically on subsequent visits.

    Is it work in google chrome?
    In firefox "1" instead of "✓" works too. No need to re-create login item by clicking "Save login". But in google chrome (i'm on beta channel) doesn't work anything (1 or ✓). Also chrome extension doesn't have "Save login" button (so annoying).
  • edited May 2011

    You should bring up the 1Password browser extension, and then click "Save Login". This should create a new login item, including the checkbox (assuming it is checked).

    Dear Agile guys!

    I forgot to say. I use Chrome 11 as primary browser. And Chrome extension totally differs from IE/FF.

    But my manual method described above works fine in IE 9 (32 bit)! Therefore I think that you need to fix your Chrome extension. It's does NOT tick autologin checkbox even when I use the same item which works fine in IE 9. Please investigate.
  • DBrownDBrown 1Password Alumni
    EIKA wrote:

    Dear Agile guys!

    I forgot to say. I use Chrome 11 as primary browser. And Chrome extension totally differs from IE/FF.

    But my manual method described above works fine in IE 9 (32 bit)! Therefore I think that you need to fix your Chrome extension. It's does NOT tick autologin checkbox even when I use the same item which works fine in IE 9. Please investigate.

    Thanks, EIKA!

    I'm moving this thread over to the forum for the extension for Chrome, where it'll get the expert attention of that part of the team.
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    Unfortunately, at this time, the best bet is to manually save the login in another browser since the Chrome extension does not support manually saving a login in Windows. The code is not identical to the Chrome extension for Mac yet where there have been many improvements.

    I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but let me know if you have success filling the login in Chrome which you have manually saved in Internet Explorer or Firefox.

    Thanks!
  • khad wrote:

    Unfortunately, at this time, the best bet is to manually save the login in another browser since the Chrome extension does not support manually saving a login in Windows. The code is not identical to the Chrome extension for Mac yet where there have been many improvements.

    I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but let me know if you have success filling the login in Chrome which you have manually saved in Internet Explorer or Firefox.

    Thanks!

    But why just do not improve Chrome extenstion for Windows? Any problems with it?
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    edited June 2011
    But why just do not improve Chrome extenstion for Windows? Any problems with it?

    We are working as hard as we can to port the Chrome improvements to Windows as well. Thanks for your passion here! When the newer versions are released you will get them automatically with Chrome's automatic extension updates.
  • Thank you! I'll hope and stay turned!
  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    Thanks for your patience and understanding, EIKA!

    We've done a lot of work on the 1Password Mac Chrome extension, and eventually this will be rolled out into other browser extensions on both platforms -- Mac and Windows. It's going to take some time, but in the end I think you will agree that it was worth the wait. :)
  • Ok, thanks!
  • edited July 2011
    Chrome extenstion have been updated in beta 207. But autologin ticking still does not work in Chrome. Why?
  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    EIKA wrote:

    Chrome extenstion have been updated in beta 207. But autologin ticking still does not work in Chrome. Why?


    Hey there, EIKA. This appears to be working for me. After logging into my account and closing the browser, I am still logged in when I relaunch Chrome and return to the site. You may need to resave your Login item. Try doing this manually by checking the box, entering your login credentials, and then clicking Save Login in the 1Password menu.

    I tested this on Windows XP with Chrome 12.0.742.112 (which is apparently updating to a newer version as I write this). Make sure you have the 1Password Chrome extension version [font=Arial, sans-serif]1.0.7.207 installed, and let me know what your setup is so I can test it if you are still having trouble. :)[/font]
  • edited July 2011
    Hi!

    Thanks for reply.

    brenty wrote:

    Hey there, EIKA. This appears to be working for me. After logging into my account and closing the browser, I am still logged in when I relaunch Chrome and return to the site.

    It confirms nothing. Because most sites set some time for session expiration, e.g. 15 minutes or 1 hr. And these sessions not die when you close browser and reopen it after some short moment of time. And only when you tick "Log me on automatically each visit" ir prolongates e.g. on 24 hr (like is eBay) or 7 days or 180 days (depends on site).

    Did you see how Chrome ticks (set) "Log me on automatically each visit" when you submit L and P? I see it in IE ahd FF extension, but not in Chrome. It's just do not tick autilogin checkbox! Try e.g. on http://www.phpbb.com/community/ucp.php?mode=login and you will see.

    You may need to resave your Login item. Try doing this manually by checking the box, entering your login credentials, and then clicking Save Login in the 1Password menu.

    I tried about 5 dirrefent sites and all the same.

    I tested this on Windows XP with Chrome 12.0.742.112 (which is apparently updating to a newer version as I write this). Make sure you have the 1Password Chrome extension version [font=Arial, sans-serif]1.0.7.207 installed, and let me know what your setup is so I can test it if you are still having trouble. :)[/font]

    I run on the same versions. Exactly.

    Please pay attention on "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox when Crome extension submits L & P. Did you see that "Log me on automatically each visit" ticket for some short moment before page will be reloaded? I clearly see that it's just not ticked. But IE and FF works fine on the same sites. You can run some screen capturing software to do not miss something :)
  • edited July 2011
    The same problem on ebay.com (if "Keep me signed in" has been removed before). Chrome ext. does not tick it, but IE and FF do that fine!

    Please investigate!
  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    EIKA wrote:

    Please pay attention on "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox when Crome extension submits L & P. Did you see that "Log me on automatically each visit" ticket for some short moment before page will be reloaded? I clearly see that it's just not ticked. But IE and FF works fine on the same sites. You can run some screen capturing software to do not miss something :)


    Hello again!

    Well, I just returned to http://www.phpbb.com/community/ after closing the browser and not visiting since before my last reply here, and I am still logged in. Unless they use a really long timer for this I still believe it is working, based on my experience (which is all I have to go on at this point). I have tried eBay as well. This seems to default to "Keep me signed in" though, so I am not sure it will make much of a difference.

    I think you are just hung up on the display of these checkboxes when using the 1Password Chrome extension to log in to sites. This information can be submitted in the form without necessarily being reflected visually. However, after testing this extensively with phpbb, eBay, and now also my Gmail account (which I am very familiar with when it comes to "Stay signed in" behaviour), this is definitely working on my system. I am even seeing the state of the cookie checkboxes being toggled visually for each of these sites when I log in.

    In any case, I tested eBay, Gmail, and phpbb with their respective "remember me" settings both enabled and disabled in my 1Password Login items, and in all cases this worked as expected -- with the checkbox box being toggled where appropriate, and the expected behaviour upon returning to the sites.

    At this point, I think we need to look into two possibilities for you:

    First, verify that you have cookies enabled at all in Chrome:

    Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_16.49.03-20110715-165212.jpg


    If your settings differ from the defaults, it may explain the behaviour you are seeing in regard to autologin on phpbb, for example:

    Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_16.48.32-20110715-165107.jpg


    Next, remove and reinstall the 1Password Chrome extension:

    1. In Chrome, go to Tools > Extensions, and Uninstall 1Password.
    2. Quit Chrome, and launch 1Password.
    3. Go to Preferences > Browsers, click the checkbox to install the Chrome extension, and click OK.
    4. Launch Chrome and verify that the extension is present and working.

    Please let me know what you find. We will get to the bottom of this! :)
  • edited July 2011
    I verified all and reinstalled Chrome extension. It does not work. Because your extension does not tick needed checkbox. Here is reason. Not in my default Chrome settings and not in my cookies.

    Did you read what I wrote about session life time? They can live for a some period of time. It depends on expiration settings of cookies.

    Try to login at eBay after 23 hrs without submitting L & P and you will see that you need to enter L & P again. In Chrome. But IE and FF will log you in correctly. Because they are tick "Keep me signed in." checkbox.

    You do not understand how cookies works. Do you know anything about cookies expire and max-age? Try to manually log in to phpbb.com/community/. Do not tick "Log me on automatically each visit". Close browser. Open it again. And go to phpbb.com/community/. And what? You are logged it! Wow! But you not ticked "Log me on automatically each visit"! Fantastic or may be magic Chrome extension? LOOOOOOOOOOOOL! No! Just cookies. Open your cookies dir, find appropriate one and RTMF! Look at expiration time. This is the reason why you still logged in.

    Guys, open your eyes and confirm that Chrome extension does not tick aulologin checkboxes. And do not send these data by any other way (e.g. by POST). I spent 12 years on webdev and I am not kid. Just stop to ignore faults of your extension.

    You able to login again just because cookies live some time after closing session. Only a lot of cookies die after closing browser. It's very rare.

    Chrome extension does not tick autologin checkbox. Here is problem. Just confirm it.
  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    edited July 2011
    EIKA wrote:

    I verified all and reinstalled Chrome extension. It does not work. Because your extension does not tick needed checkbox.


    Again, in my own testing I am not able to reproduce this problem using Windows XP SP3, Chrome 12.0.742.122 m, and the 1Password Chrome extension [font="Arial, sans-serif"]1.0.7.207. [/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]

    But IE and FF will log you in correctly. Because they are tick "Keep me signed in." checkbox.
    [/font][/font][font="Arial, sans-serif"]
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]For your consideration:[/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Before:[/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_18.32.50-20110715-184404.jpg
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]After:[/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_18.33.03-20110715-184513.jpg
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Before:[/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_18.33.11-20110715-184604.jpg
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]After:[/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_18.33.35-20110715-184724.jpg
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Before:[/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_18.33.46-20110715-185358.jpg
    [/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]After:[/font]
    [font="Arial, sans-serif"]Screen_shot_2011-07-15_at_18.33.52-20110715-185504.jpg
    [/font]


    You do not understand how cookies works. Do you know anything about cookies expire and max-age? Try to manually log in to phpbb.com/community/. Do not tick "Log me on automatically each visit". Close browser. Open it again. And go to phpbb.com/community/. And what? You are logged it! Wow! But you not ticked "Log me on automatically each visit"! Fantastic or may be magic Chrome extension? LOOOOOOOOOOOOL! No! Just cookies. Open your cookies dir, find appropriate one and RTMF! Look at expiration time. This is the reason why you still logged in.


    1Password is merely filling and submitting the form; it does not manage cookies. This is done by the browser.


    Guys, open your eyes and confirm that Chrome extension does not tick aulologin checkboxes.


    If this were the case and I was able to verify it, I would absolutely say so. There are plenty of things we don't do, and we certainly don't go out of the way to make claims about features we don't have. ;)


    You able to login again just because cookies live some time after closing session. Only a lot of cookies die after closing browser. It's very rare.

    Chrome extension does not tick autologin checkbox. Here is problem. Just confirm it.


    Please see above.

    Google, for instance: In each of these cases, closing the browser and relaunching it results in either 1) a login screen or 2) my account, depending on how the form was submitted previously. I am really at a loss to explain what is happening on your system. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report? You can generate one in 1Password on your PC by going to Help > Diagnostics Report > E-mail to Agile... Just attach this to the email when you reply, and be sure to include any other details or screenshots you can as it will help us understand the problem better. We will get to the bottom of this. :)
  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    Just to doublecheck and confirm, I retested this with 1Password Windows 1.0.6.202 as well as Windows 7.

    In the current stable version, the Chrome extension is not toggling the checkboxes at all; but updating to beta-207 automatically installed the new extension and then it worked. I suspect that somehow the extension is not getting installed correctly. I look forward to seeing the Diagnostics Report and figuring what is going wrong for you.
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    It is very possible I am missing something in this thread as it is getting rather long, but have you tried simply re-saving the Logins, EIKA? Move your existing eBay login to the Trash for example, and create a new one from within the browser. If your logins were not created in the browser to begin with they will not include the information to restore the proper state to the checkbox. As Brent mentioned, though, you do need to be sure you are using the latest beta version (if you are not already).

    Please let me know how it goes.

    Cheers,
  • khad wrote:

    It is very possible I am missing something in this thread as it is getting rather long, but have you tried simply re-saving the Logins, EIKA? Move your existing eBay login to the Trash for example, and create a new one from within the browser. If your logins were not created in the browser to begin with they will not include the information to restore the proper state to the checkbox. As Brent mentioned, though, you do need to be sure you are using the latest beta version (if you are not already).

    Please let me know how it goes.

    How IE and FF extensions works fine with the same accounts?
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    edited July 2011
    How IE and FF extensions works fine with the same accounts?

    The code in the other browser extensions if different than the code in the Chrome extension.

    What version of 1Password are you running?

    Have you re-saved the Login(s)?

    Please let me know.

    Thanks!
  • edited July 2011
    khad wrote:

    The code in the other browser extensions if different than the code in the Chrome extension.


    It's amazing. I have changed domain name of my current item (to enable creating dupes) and created new one from Chrome ext. And now Chrome ticks autologin checkbox.

    But both items are identical.

    Non-working one:
    Working one:
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad that the initial suggestion to re-save the login has worked for you. :-)

    Not all that is contained in the Login item is visible in the UI. ;-)

    If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

    We are always here to help!
  • edited July 2011
    khad wrote:

    Thanks for the update. I'm glad that the initial suggestion to re-save the login has worked for you. :-)

    Not all that is contained in the Login item is visible in the UI. ;-)

    Ok, I trust you. But again and again: how can IE and FF work fine with both items? They no need these invisible data?
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    edited July 2011
    The code is different in the Chrome extension both in how it saves Logins and how it fills them. We are working to unify the code across all browsers so you won't see issues like this (where something works in one browser but not another). It means that if something doesn't work, we will fix it once and it will work in all your browsers. :-)
  • khad wrote:

    The code is different in the Chrome extension both in how it saves Logins and how it fills them. We are working to unify the code across all browsers so you won't see issues like this (where something works in one browser but not another). It means that if something doesn't work, we will fix it once and it will work in all your browsers. :-)

    Ok, thanks!

    Do you have plans to make Chrome extension looks like other extenstions? Or it's not pobbible due the Chrome API limitations?
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    It is not possible for the future extensions to look and behave as they have in the past because we are using the browser extension APIs in all the browsers in the future (like we do in Chrome already). Mac users are getting a taste of it in Safari 5.1.

    I don't have a time frame for any other browser extensions (for Windows) at the moment.
  • khad wrote:

    It is not possible for the future extensions to look and behave as they have in the past because we are using the browser extension APIs in all the browsers in the future (like we do in Chrome already). Mac users are getting a taste of it in Safari 5.1.

    I don't have a time frame for any other browser extensions (for Windows) at the moment.

    You mean that Chrome have new style look, but IE and FF - old one?
  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    EIKA wrote:

    You mean that Chrome have new style look, but IE and FF - old one?


    Indeed. Safari got a bit of a makeover (so it isn't exactly like the Chrome extension), and I imagine we may refine the interface a bit on Firefox as well when that is developed. Eventually, though, the goal is to have a consistent interface and code across all major browsers. :)
This discussion has been closed.