How do I change my Mac's master password?

Options
titkos
titkos
Community Member

I have a 1Password for families account.
On my Mac, I open 1Password app with a different password.

I just changed my master password for my 1Password for families account from within 1Password for Mac.
Problem: on my Mac, my master password is still the former one. I want it to be the same as 1Password for families.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.16
Sync Type: 1Password for families

Comments

• Hi @titkos ,

If you have vaults that aren't part of your Families account, then the master password will not change along with it. However, if you go to the Preferences in 1Password and click on Security, you can change your Master Password here. It will ask you to enter your old one, and then you can change it to be the same one as the one for your Families account.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,
    My vault is part of my Families account.
    In Preferences, the option you mention doesn't seem to be available, please screenshot : https://cl.ly/3F363C0k0V47
    Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @titkos,

Thank you for the screenshot, it's very helpful! In that screenshot, it looks like the Preferences window in 1Password includes sections for Sync (Synchronisation), WLAN Server, and Backup (Sauvegarder). Those sections only appear if you have one or more local/standalone vaults in the 1Password app (in other words, vaults that are not part of your Families account). It also looks like the settings in the Security section are grayed out / unavailable, which would happen if 1Password is currently locked - that may also explain why you aren't seeing a 'Change Master Password' button there.

Please try this:

• Open the 1Password app and unlock it with your (former) master password.
    • Click the vault switcher menu in the top left corner of the window and select 'Primary' (which is the name of your local/standalone vault).
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, then click the Security section.
    • You should now see the 'Change Master Password' button - click it and follow the steps to change it to the same new master password you chose for your account.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes and if you run into any problems with that. Cheers! :)

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

I did what you suggested and still can't see "change master password" button: https://cl.ly/302w0n1P0M0c

Please find here a screenshot of my main vault (in sync with 1Password for families) : https://cl.ly/3u362Q2a1l1v

PS: yes, I have some vaults which still sync with Dropbox (very few) and no i don't sync via wifi.
    Thanks

• Hi @titkos ,

Thanks for the additional screenshots. The button goes away when you have a vault from your accounts selected. If you go in the vault chooser (top-left of main window) and choose the "Primary" vault, then come back to the Preferences, the Change Password button should be there. If it is not, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

That worked absolutely fine :smile:

Thank you very much indeed.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that worked. I had actually mentioned selecting the Primary vault in the steps I gave you, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about why you needed to do that.

We're always happy to help, so please let us know if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.