Subdomain not populating password instead showing list

Options

Hey Guys -

All of a sudden today my passwords to subdomain sites are not populating. I'm getting a list for every single password. It used to populate these fields just fine, now all of a sudden it's not working. It's basically just showing me a list of passwords.

The URL stored in 1Password is the EXACT URL I'm logging in on.

Any ideas?

Currently using Chrome version: 53.0.2785.80 beta (64-bit)

Maybe a beta upgrade triggered it?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, ug:mac/, kb:undefined, kb-search:password not populating

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @idealerror,

I'm sorry to hear filling sign-in forms on sites isn't working the same way (or as well) as before! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

Just to make sure I understand what's happening (or not happening) on your end, can you let us know a few more details:

• What are the exact steps you normally take to have 1Password fill your login credentials?
    • Is this problem happening for all sites, or just one specific site?
    • It sounds like you have multiple Login items for the same website, which explains why you're seeing a list of matching Login items in the 1Password extension. When you choose one of the suggested Login items, does that fill the sign-in form as expected?
    • What happens if you click on the URL field of a Login item in the main 1Password app?
    • What happens if you open a website by choosing a Login item from the 1Password extension in the browser?
    • What happens if you go to a website first, and then choose the matching Login item from the 1Password extension?
    • When using the extension, do you click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, or do you use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut?

Thanks in advance! :)

• idealerror
    idealerror
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew -

• What are the exact steps you normally take to have 1Password fill your login credentials?

Usually I'll punch in a login, 1Password will ask if I want to save it, I say yes. I come back to the page and use ⌘\ and it auto fills.

• Is this problem happening for all sites, or just one specific site?

Currently all sub-domain type sites that have more than 1 login like abc.website.com and 123.website.com

• It sounds like you have multiple Login items for the same website, which explains why you're seeing a list of matching Login items in the 1Password extension. When you choose one of the suggested Login items, does that fill the sign-in form as expected?

Yes

• What happens if you click on the URL field of a Login item in the main 1Password app?

When I click "open and fill" it goes to the website and auto fills the login and logs in just fine.

• What happens if you open a website by choosing a Login item from the 1Password extension in the browser?

It goes to the website, fills in the user, password, and selects from drop down (as it's supposed to) but does not submit.

• What happens if you go to a website first, and then choose the matching Login item from the 1Password extension?

Auto fills user,pass,select box and logs in just fine.

• When using the extension, do you click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, or do you use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut?

I use the ⌘\ shortcut.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@idealerror Can you check the settings at 1Password > Preferences > Browsers and let us know what the "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" setting is?

• idealerror
    idealerror
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@jxpx777 All have been checked: https://cl.ly/41370n453d0i

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Uncheck the checkbox I referenced and that should help. :)

• idealerror
    idealerror
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 Worked perfect!

What does this checkbox do exactly?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's kind of a million dollar question, and it's honestly the source of great confusion both with users and inside AgileBits. Basically, it controls whether 1Password gives preferential treatment (disabled) or not (enabled) to Logins whose subdomains match the subdomain of the page you're trying to fill. (Yes, it sounds like this should always be preferred but there are actually some legitimate use cases for having this checkbox checked…)

So, let's say you have two Logins saved, one with a URL of abc.website.com and one with a URL of 123.website.com. The default behavior, which is with this checkbox disabled, is that when you're on abc.website.com and press Command-\, 1Password will prefer the one that matches that subdomain. Ditto for when you're on 123.website.com. But if you're on www.website.com, 1Password knows only that both of these Logins are valid for filling on website.com, but it can't know for sure which one to fill so it prompts you to choose. Checking the checkbox forces 1Password into this behavior even when you're on abc.website.com and 123.website.com.

I hope I explained that clearly enough. It's tough to describe in plain language without resorting to language about domains and subdomains that many people just don't understand or care about, so I'm glad we at least had that to start from. :) Obviously we aren't doing a good job with this checkbox label, though, because it was still unclear to you. Hopefully we can come up with something perfect soon…

• idealerror
    idealerror
    Community Member
    Options

That made perfect sense. Thanks for the deep explanation :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure! Let us know if we can help with anything else.

This discussion has been closed.