1Pass for iPad upload files to Dropbox

Even when nothing have been changed on iPad
Hello!

Please explain why 1Pass for iPad upload bunch of files to Dropbox even when nothing have been changed on iPad?

E.g. I've changed about 20 items on my PC (under Windows). All other PCs (also under Windows) got new files via Dropbox and all is ok. But if I open 1Pass for iPad, it download about 100-130 files and after that upload about 20 files back to Dropbox.

Why? I never make changes in items in iPad! I use it in read only mode. Why it upload 'changed' filed to Dropbox?

Comments

• EIKA
    edited July 2011
    brenty wrote:

Hey, EIKA!

I suspect that this is more of a Dropbox question. In any case, please make sure that both devices are set to the same time and time zone settings. Often a discrepancy there can cause Dropbox to think that files have been updated (from the FUTURE!) based on the time stamp.

Please let me know what you find. :)

Hi!

iPad by default receive timezone and time automatically from cellular network. And it shows correct timezone (Moscow, +3) and correct time (both the same as Windows PCs).

I've tried to manually set timezone to +3 and set time to -2 minutes from actual (e.g. now 21 minutes, but I set 19 on iPad), and afterthat iPad was sent 220 items to Dropbox :o

But I've changed nothing in 1Pass till last hr.

WFT?
  • EIKA
    edited July 2011
    I tried to change 1 item at Windows (deleted old one and created new one item). After that I waited for 2 minuted and press Sync Now at iPad. IPad downloaded 2 potential updates. Immidiately after that iPad uploaded 3 new items to Dropbox.

iPad time set to -2 mins from actual and from both Windows PCs.

Looks like 1Pass for iPad do something with files after receiving from Dropbox (unpack/rewrite & so on). 1Pass developer for iPad can clear this monent as I hope.
  • Ok, I will look into in the next time.
  • EIKA
    edited August 2011
    brenty wrote:

Please let us know what you find. I am really curious what is going on here too. Hopefully we can get this figured out put your issues behind you. :)

I make an experiment. 1P for iPad is really strange. I never do changes in 1P for iPad - I use it "read only" mode. I have added and edited few items in Windows few days ago, at Friday. At Sunday I run 1P for iPad and go directly to Settings > Sync. And what I seen? 27 potential updates has been downloaded (it's ok, because I work with 1P on Windows at the end of week) and 2 updates has sent back to Dropbox. Why? Nothing has been changed till last 2 days. Nobody have access to my PCs and my iPad. Time settings on iPad is ok and even lag behind for 2 minutes (just to be sure that iPad will not be able to make files "from the future").

I've checked Dropbox events and found that iPad has changed 3 files:

You edited the file contents.js.
    You edited the file C12B855B2AA64192945857B46EF8977C.1password.
    You edited the file 9ACB95EB05E0401F9449FB02329E205B.1password.

Looks like 1P for iPad really make some changes in files even when nothing have been changed in 1P for iPad.

I found these files inside \Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain\data\default\ folder by search and look inside. I've opened these files in text editor in read only mode and memorized titles. After that I opened 1P for Windows and look at Modified column. And these 2 files have been changes 1 Aug 2011 on my home PC. And I bear firmly in mind that I change them about 1 week ago on my home PC.

Why iPad sent them back to Dropbox?

I hope that you need to investigate.
  • EIKA
    edited August 2011
    brenty wrote:
    I hope this clarifies things. If you have any other questions, please let me know. :)

No. Your reply does not clear situation. Why 1P for iPad uploads files? It informs about that when I go to Settings > Sync (in 1P for iPad). It do that immidiately after downloading potential updates.
  • EIKA
    edited August 2011
    brenty wrote:

You described viewing sync events on the Dropbox website. If you are looking at something else, could you please provide a screenshot? I guess I am not understanding what you are referring to at this point.

In my testing and experience 1Password for iPad does not sync an item to Dropbox unless I have changed it, and this can be verified by watching sync events on the Dropbox website as you referred to in a previous post. I am not sure what else to say. huh.gif

Please re-read my post:

At Sunday I run 1P for iPad and go directly to Settings > Sync.

Here you can see status of donwloads and uploads of updates. In real time. Here 1P said me that uploaded 2 updates.
  • EIKA
    edited August 2011
    brenty wrote:

I am assuming you mean Settings > Sync > Dropbox. This doesn't actually provide any real information. Next time it happens, check the events log on the Dropbox site. It may be that there are conflicts and (Conflicted Copy).1password files are being created from the iPad as a result. This is done by Dropbox automatically and is not handled by 1Password. Without knowing anything about the data in question anything I can offer is purely speculation.

I am alredy do that. Again, re-read my message. As stated above, I seen at dropbox.com > Events 3 changed by iPad files (other PCs have been untouched for 2 days). 1P for iPad changed 3 filed just after unlocking and uploaded them back to Dropbox. I can record you video if you don't trust me.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    It's certainly not that we don't trust you, EIKA. We just have not been able to reproduce the behavior you seem to be describing on any of our test systems.

The Dropbox > Events page does not give any information regarding where a write came from, so it can be hard to say with certainty that a change that you are seeing has actually come from the iPad and not Windows. Unless I enter Edit mode for an item on my iPad and make a change nothing is written to Dropbox from my iPad. Here is what I did to test this:

1. Open 1Password on your iPad
    2. Verify that Dropbox is completely synced (Settings > Sync >Dropbox > Sync Now)
    3. Verify that Dropbox says "All files up to date" in Windows
    4. Now everything should be synced and up to date
    5. Open Dropbox Events page
    6. Make a note of the most recent item and its time
    7. Make a change to an item in 1Password for Windows (I just added the letter X to a Login's Notes field)
    8. Verify that Dropbox has synced the change from your Windows computer to the website
    9. Make a note of the files that were changed (there should only be two: the .1password file whose contents you edited and contents.js)
    10. Sync 1Password on your iPad again
    11. Refresh the Dropbox Events page to see if another change is listed besides what you noted in step 9

In my case only the change I made in Windows shows up on the Dropbox Events page since I never edited anything on the iPad after I synced it in the first two steps above. Syncing the iPad adds no additional items to the Dropbox Events page.

I can get the iPad to add events by editing an item on the iPad, but unless I edit an item on the iPad, nothing else is added to the Dropbox Events page beyond what was added by 1Password for Windows.

Can you confirm what happens when you perform the exact steps above? Please let me know.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.