Forgot master password - but here's the frustrating part

mtgarrett_13
mtgarrett_13
Community Member

Yes, I'm the bonehead that forgot my Master Password (and apparently my password hint isn't enough to jog my memory). It's my fault, I take full 100% responsibility...BUT, what's more annoying is this -- I KNEW I had forgotten my Master Password and told myself I needed to handle this before I got screwed (I had been accessing the app fine with my fingerprint for about a month). So, today I had some time, opened the app, and attempted to change my Master Password. I looked in the settings and saw the 'change master password' section, but it required you to know the existing master password. Seems to me that having a way to authenticate with your fingerprint here would have been vital. So, in my trying to poke around I've somehow got the app ONLY asking for a Master Password now, and no option to open the app with my fingerprint. Seems I'm completely hosed, but it would have been really nice if the app had an option to authenticate with a fingerprint to change the Master Password. OR, is there a secret way to open the app and have it prompt for the fingerprint again? :-(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.4.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mtgarrett_13,

I'm really sorry to hear you forgot your Master Password. I know how frustrating that would be.

The Master Password cannot be changed without entering the current Master Password. This is the same with your device passcode. Apple has designed iOS so that you can't change your device passcode by using Touch ID. You must enter your device passcode. Learn more about Touch ID security in 1Password.

You may still be able to use Touch ID, though. Tap the Touch ID button under the Master Password field, and the prompt will appear.

Is the Touch ID button available to you?

• mtgarrett_13
    mtgarrett_13
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. No, that's the problem, the login screen only displays the keyboard. There is no option to use a fingerprint. If there was a way to start the app and have it display that, at least I could get in and get my data, then start over from scratch with a new password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@mtgarrett_13,

It sounds like the obfuscated secret equivalent to your Master Password was removed from the iOS keychain. These are the things that would have caused that (they're from the aforelinked Touch ID security article):

1Password removes the secret from the iOS Keychain:

• When your fingerprint isn't recognized three times in a row
    • When you tap Settings > Security > Lock Now
    • When Require Master Password is set to After Device Restart in Settings > Advanced > Security, and you open 1Password after restarting your device
    • When the amount of time in Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password has elapsed and 1Password is open

Unfortunately, at this point, there is nothing left but to start over. If you have your data anywhere else, you may be able to sync it, but that would likely require your Master Password unless you have 1Password unlocked on another device. If so, be sure to disable all the auto-lock settings until you are able to get your data out.

• mtgarrett_13
    mtgarrett_13
    Community Member

Thanks for your help. I've exhausted everything I can think of based on my [crappy] password hint. I've deleted the app and am starting over from scratch. Lesson learned...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mtgarrett_13,

I’m sorry to hear that you weren’t able to recover your Master Password. In the future, it’s important to remember that while Touch ID is an amazing convenience, it’s not designed to fully replace your Master Password. If you’re concerned that you might forget your Master Password again, you might want to write it down and store it in a secure location like a locked drawer or a safe deposit box.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about 1Password, we’re always here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.