Just enable families in 1Password 4

Phillip Brand
Phillip Brand
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm with 1Password for some time now and version 4 was by far the best adaptation for windows. I grew to love it and I'll stay with it for a long time as it seems right now.

v6 seems like a try to get a windows store app to all windows platforms. The problem with that is that windows store apps are just plain terrible in any way. They look terrible and they feel terrible. Just stay with the old classy design or use the same design as on the web platform.

Well there isn't much to say about the new version to the current point. Most of the settings from v4 aren't there. It looks and feels terrible in any way as I mentioned. And without an import option for my old vault it is useless for me.

So i'll just let my families trial run out and I'm probably not gonna try it again until v7 where you hopefully go back to keep the same look and feel in the windows and mac version. (And since my mom doesn't speak a word English we couldn't use families anyway until it's translated to german).

Thx for the hard work on this but maybe next time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

@Phillip Brand: First of all, thank you for the compliments! I'm glad that you like 1Password 4 so much! However, not everyone does, and there are a number of technical limitations given its age as well. It won't be possible to add support for 1Password Accounts, and more importantly the only way to do things like support high DPI displays and proper scaling is with a new app (among other things).

But you're right that we have a lot of work to do yet, both on the 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta and adding localizations to 1Password Accounts as well. I'm sorry that both have caused your grief for now, but we're working on it. Thank you for your honest feedback and support! :)

• Hi @Phillip Brand,

I just want to expand on Brenty's post, 1Password 6 Beta is a brand new program that's early in its development and its UI is not finalized at all, we will be iterating through its entire UI continuously as well as polishing it up for translations. Even 1Password 4 didn't look the way it did when it first came out (based on 1Password 1.x 6-7 years ago), it took a while before it started to make sense.

1Password 6 has a new team behind it and we're going to be shipping a lot of updates to polish the interface, add more features and many more.

It isn't feasible to just add 1Password.com service to 1Password 4, 1Password 4 reads and writes to one local vault file at a time and doesn't have its own syncing. 1Password.com service on its own requires all sorts of changes that it wasn't feasible to try to force the 1Password 4's mature codebase into this new system with a modern database structure, APIs with our servers, and so on, it wouldn't be easily scalable for the next decade, we'd be spending more and more time trying to fix things than trying to add more features. So, that's why we're working on a brand new app with the goal to scale for the next decade but it will take time to add all settings from 1Password 4 into this new app.

And without an import option for my old vault it is useless for me.

There is an import option, click on the Settings icon on top right to select Import option. In the next few updates, you'd be able to add your local vault files to be synced alongside with your 1Password accounts and you can copy content from one file to your 1Password account if you want.

(And since my mom doesn't speak a word English we couldn't use families anyway until it's translated to german).

Understood, translations hasn't been done yet because the UI and textual content has been rapidly changing in the past few months. Once it is polished and we won't be doing more major changes, we will then start to focus on translating the program.

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member

I don't mind the interface of 1Password for Windows v6, but I do mind having to constantly re-register the helper so the browser extension will work, and having to open the application twice when it has locked on a timeout. The first time I open the application and enter my credentials, I'm presented with a blank screen. When I close the application and open it a second time, I'm once again requested to enter in my master password after which I see my various vaults and items. I understand the application is beta, but it seems like it's REALLY beta at this point with a lot of functionality defects that make it difficult to utilize.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dwimmerlaik: Understood. Do you still have 1Password 4 installed and running? That would explain the Helper issues you described if the old app is trying to take over. I'm really sorry for the trouble there. :(

Can you tell me more about the blank screen you're seeing? I mean, obviously it's blank. But do you mean when you first open 1Password 6 there's nothing there — including no Master Password field? Thanks in advance!

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member

The blank screen is after I enter in my Master Password. It typically happens when my vault has locked due to inactivity. I click on the 1Password icon in my taskbar, I'm prompted to enter in my Master Password, I do so, and then I receive a blank application window. The titlebar is there along with the close icon, etc. but the area where my vault data would normally be displayed is just blank and white.

If I use the "X" to close the application and then click on the 1Password icon in my taskbar a second time, I'm again prompted to enter in my Master Password. I do so and then my vault data is displayed correctly.

It may be worth noting that if I lock my file manually, the same thing doesn't happen. I can; however, replicate it every time if I lock my workstation (which causes the 1Password application to lock my vault).

Here's a screenshot, I hope it helps..

Hope that helps.

• stevenind
    stevenind
    Community Member

I am getting the blank screen also after entering my master password. I just quit the program and open it and enter the master password again and it usually works the 2nd time. It seems to be happening possibly the first time I use the program for the day or after it hasn't been opened in a while (totally anecdotal this last sentence - hard to prove).

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited August 2016

@Dwimmerlaik, @stevenind sorry it's so confusing at the moment, when you got that white screen try Alt+Tab - do you have a dialog in background talking about sending a crash report to developer?

• kprogebin
    kprogebin
    Community Member

Just to add some hopefully helpful feedback.

I get the blank screen issue as well under the exact same circumstances as the other posters here. One thing I noticed as well is that when I open 1Password 6 from the desktop icon, when I get the login prompt, the focus does not switch to the password field. I need to click in the field and then enter my master password. Once I do, I then get the blank screen. Like others said, exiting and opening the program again seems to resolve it.

Latest 1P6 beta for Windows on Win 10 Pro version 1607.

• I suspect one of two evils at work here: either it's a dialog box asking to send report about previous crash (it can appear behind app window and prevent content loading) or it's a very long and unfortunate check for update call.

Next update pushes checking for updates outside of app startup (it will actually check for updates like 10 seconds after app is started). We will be replacing crash reporting dialog with a banner in future updates.

• kprogebin
    kprogebin
    Community Member

I did not see any dialog boxes when it happens, just an FYI.

• Thank you @kprogebin , we are exploring one other possibility as well. Any hints are helpful ;)

This discussion has been closed.