How to enter a new password?

teamnoir
teamnoir
Community Member

Apparently this has changed since I last tried it. I'm a long time 1password user so I was stunned when I couldn't figure it out.

There's a wifi network... the password is printed and hanging on a wall. I'd like to enter it into 1password on my iphone so that I can cut/paste it into my other ios devices, my mac, etc. But I can't figure it out.

In the past, I've either created a "server" entry consisting of just the wifi network name and the password, or I've created a "login" entry with the same info. But right now, the ios app insists on forcing me to enter a whole bunch of totally irrelevant data making it impossible to enter on ios. I had to take a photograph, come back to my mac, and then enter it on my mac, (and hope that syncing is working right, which it wasn't).

How do I make simple entries on ios now? What's the process? How do I get rid of that horrible "enter a name to filter the list" or the nasty mandatory "walk throughs"? How do I make 1password useful again?

1Password Version: 6.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 9.3.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @teamnoir,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I’m sorry that you’re finding 1Password less intuitive than before.

How do I make simple entries on ios now? What's the process?

I guess it all depends on what you mean by ‘simple’ entries. For Login items, we have added a new item creator that has made Login creation a lot simpler. Because the 1Password app extension isn’t quite as powerful as the browser extension available in the desktop apps, adding a new Login on iOS was a process that confused a lot of people. Now, with the item creator, if you’re creating a Login item for one of the 1000 most popular sites, we pre-populate the website field, so you don’t have to worry about copying and pasting the correct address for the sign in page.

Login items are designed to fill username and password information in on websites. If you would like to create a different type of entry, all our other pre-determined categories are still available. For a wireless network, I would suggest the ‘Wireless Router’ category. You could also use a Password item if all you want to save is the actual password for the network. To create an entry of either of those types, simply tap on the ‘+’ icon in the top menu bar. Please note that if you are in a specific category when you tap the ‘+’ icon, you’ll automatically see the template for that specific item. (So, if you’re viewing Login items, the template will default to our Login creator ... it sounds like this might be what you’re seeing?) To see a list of all available items to be created, try tapping the ‘+’ icon while viewing the Categories list.

Please let me know if this helps! If you have more questions, we’re here for you. :)

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Thanks for the response. This is extremely confusing.

Are you saying that the ios app is now bolted into templates for entries and templates only and there's no more free form entry? So either you have a template or I'm screwed on ios, (although I can still enter it on mac)?

If so, then it seems awfully odd to cripple the ios app in this way.

Certainly web sites are the bulk of my passwords by count, but not by access. I have a lot of passwords that don't really fit any of your categories. To me, they're "servers" but I have no idea what work flow or context your "server" templates are intended to address. I've never been able to get them to work for me to any effect. I mostly just store everything as logins, even when there's no URL and possibly no username.

Examples, wifi networks, encryption keys for encrypted file systems, PGP/GPG encryption "passphrases", firmware and root access passwords for any of literally hundreds of embedded linux boxes I use personally and professionally, ssh public/private key pairs, etc.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

@teamnoir,

The item creator is only for Login items. Creating an item in any other category remains unchanged:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Categories to view the top level of all your items in all categories.
    3. Tap + to create a new item.
    4. Tap Server (for example).

You can edit all the fields. You can create new sections or delete existing ones. You can create new fields or delete existing ones.

You can even edit Login items after you create them if you want to add custom fields or make additional changes.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. :)

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member

What I'm hearing is that you've added another inconvenience and made the app/system/ecosystem less useful overall. Things that I used to use 1password for can't be done anymore.

Now I need a supplemental password keeper to keep all the passwords that 1password won't keep for me anymore. :(.

This is a disturbing trend. :(

In this case, I took a photo of the wall poster. Pretty much back to the days of writing passwords on post-its. Luckily, this isn't a particularly secret password.

• @teamnoir,

No, that isn't what we're saying at all.

If you want to store data that doesn't fit in any of the pre-defined categories please see this post:

AgileBits Blog | Secure all the things in Secure Notes

Thanks.

Ben

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member

Notes really aren't what I want. I have a database for passwords. I want my passwords in my password database. I really don't want to have to look, manually, through multiple databases in order to find my passwords. That's why I adopted a password keeper in the first place.

I don't see why this is so hard. We used to have this ability. Just give it back. Why is that difficult?

This discussion has been closed.