Folder support in 1Password accounts

tonyx
tonyx
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

Does 1Password team / individual plan come with support for folders? The old desktop version seems to have it, but I can't find a way to create it in the cloud versions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyx,

Thanks for writing us with your question!

In 1Password accounts (individuals/Families/Teams), Folders have been replaced by Tags. Tags serve the same basic function as folders, plus you can assign multiple tags to each item (whereas an item could only be added to a single folder). When viewing a vault in the main 1Password app, you'll see Tags listed in the left sidebar below the item categories (where Folders used to appear).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• tonyx
    tonyx
    Community Member

Got it. the original 1Password had both tags and folders. What was the thinking there?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyx,

What was the thinking there?

Are you asking why we're only using Tags in 1Password accounts instead of both Folders and Tags? If so, the main reason is that there's no need for both. Tags pretty much serve the same purpose, but aren't limited in the same way folders are - you can only put an item in one folder, but you can assign multiple tags. Although if you prefer the way folders worked, you can stick to assigning just one tag per item - it's up to you! :)

• tonyx
    tonyx
    Community Member

Yea since originally both folders and tags existed, so I was just wondering why they both did. But I think you answered the question of why folder is not needed already, so historical reasons aren't important anymore. :)

That said, the only thing that I used to be able to do with folders that I'm not able to do with tags anymore is to filter items with "No Tags". Maybe I'm missing something?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyx,

the only thing that I used to be able to do with folders that I'm not able to do with tags anymore is to filter items with "No Tags".

You may have done that before using Smart Folders, and the same thing could be done to find items with no Tags. Smart Folders aren't currently supported in 1Password accounts, but you can still use the same search options that were used in Smart Folders (you just won't be able to save those searches). To do that, open the main 1Password app and go to Edit > Find > Show Search Options (or use the ^⌥⌘F (control+option+command+F) keyboard shortcut). You can find items with no Tags by setting the following search options:

• Search: All Items
    • Number of tags is 0

Although you won't be able to save that as a Smart Folder, it should be fairly easy to set that up when you need to. Please let us know if you have more questions about that! :)

• tonyx
    tonyx
    Community Member

Got it, that solves my problem completely (I don't need to perform that search too often). Thanks @Drew_AG

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyx

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that your problem is all taken care off :chuffed: If you have any other questions or there's anything else that we can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.