Family sharing- Vault

abelj
abelj
Community Member

On 1Password.com, Family Membership, I have invited my wife to join and she has accepted. I am confused as to how to proceed at this point. I want her to have access to all of the data in my vault, entitled “Personal”.

Do I have to “Move/Copy” all of the data in my “Personal” vault to the “Shared” vault, or can she simply access the data in my “Personal” vault simply by logging in.

Also, if there is a separate “Shared” data vault, how to I keep that current when additions, deletions and edits are made to items in my “Personal” vault.

Thanks

1Password Version: Family
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @abelj! Good question. The simplest way to set things up would be to use the Shared vault for everything if the family account is only you and your wife. If you invite some other members, you can create a new vault and share it with her. There's no need to keep two copies of things since the Shared vault can have all your passwords and she will have access to them; you can access everything there as well.

Share passwords and other items with your whole family

To make things even smoother, when you create new passwords you may want them to be automatically saved to the Shared vault so they are shared with your wife by default. In 1Password for Mac, you can do this by launching the app and choosing 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, then switching to the All Vaults tab and changing the Vault for Saving to Shared, or the vault you created to share with your wife. Let us know how that goes. :)

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Hello Jacob:

That helps. However, I do not feel that I got an answer to the other question, which I repeat here:

_****Do I have to “Move/Copy” all of the data in my “Personal” vault to the “Shared” vault, or can she simply access the data in my “Personal” vault simply by logging in.

Also, if there is a separate “Shared” data vault, how to I keep that current when additions, deletions and edits are made to items in my “Personal” vault.****___

Looking forward to hearing from you

Abel

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @abelj

I'm sorry if there are still a couple of doubts left, so lets tackle them! :chuffed:

Do I have to “Move/Copy” all of the data in my “Personal” vault to the “Shared” vault, or can she simply access the data in my “Personal” vault simply by logging in.

You do need to move (or copy) your data into the Shared vault so she can access it.

if there is a separate “Shared” data vault, how to I keep that current when additions, deletions and edits are made to items in my “Personal” vault

Items in two different vaults are different, unrelated items. If you update your item in Personal you need to update the item in Shared manually. It's way better if you move the items that you're sharing so you only keep one copy at a time and don't have to worry about any of these issues.

If there's anything else that we can help you with, we're here for you! :chuffed:

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Hello Pilar:

Trying to follow your helpful suggestions, I thinks that I have screwed up my data.

First, I successfully copied all of the items in my Mac version "Personal" Vault to the "Shared" Vault. Everything was fine.
    "
    Then, after re-reading your comments about how to avoid manually changing items in the "Shared" Vault, I went back and "Moved" all items in my "Personal" Vault to the Shared Vault.

The result is that there are no items in my "Personal Vault", and all items now located in the "Shared" Vault. Is that what you meant?

Unfortunately, in doing the above, the "Shared" Vault contains duplicates of each item, one from the "Copy" action and another from the "Move" action.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Abel J. Merrill

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @abelj

You'll be ready in no time, you'll see!

The result is that there are no items in my "Personal Vault", and all items now located in the "Shared" Vault. Is that what you meant?

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Otherwise the elements in Primary and Shared would be out of Sync. I'm sorry I didn't realise you had already copied the items, but we can get this sorted out in no time! To deal with the duplicates have you changed anything in the shared vault?

If you haven't changed anything in the shared vault, then goto the Primary vault that is no empty. Go to Trash then Select All. Click on Item > Restore Item from Trash. Then delete everything from the shared vault (Select All > Move to trash) and Move all your items from your primary vault into the shared one again. Alternatively you can delete one of each copy by hand, if you don't have that many items.

Please let me know how all this goes :chuffed:

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

¡Ay, caramba! It worked perfectly! Like magic! And I didn't have to manually delete 450 of the 900 items.

Thanks for your expert help.

Abel J. Merrill

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @abelj

You're very welcome! It's great news to hear that it worked out well for you and that your 1Password items are all in their right place now :chuffed: I hope that everything goes smoothly for you from now on, but if you have any other question or bump into any trouble, we're always here for you!

This discussion has been closed.