How does sharing a password solve anything?

Please help me understand the use-case of sharing passwords with other team members. Here's how I understand it. The main admin inputs all of the user/pass credentials into the software and has full viewing access. The team members who have shared access, they don't see the actual user/pass, but they have still the ability to log in using it.

But once they are logged in, can't they just change the password themselves? Or otherwise wreck havok to your account?

Am I missing something? What are people using this for?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @buggypac

Thank you for taking some time to know more about 1Password! There are many reasons and scenarios why you might need to share a password in your workspace. I think the idea might sound strange to you because you're thinking about personal things, like your email account for example. That one would better kept private! However, if the company has a Facebook or Twitter page, chances are there's not just one single person in charge of it, but a team. Everyone needs to know what the login information is, so you put it on a shared vault. Another scenario is when a company has a password to deal with each of their clients for whatever reason. You need a way for everyone involved with that client to be able to have access. Maybe there are 3 people who have access to certain bank account. Some people need to share some login information with their personal assistants. Every company works differently and has different needs, so these are only the scenarios at the top of my head but there are endless possibilities!

Now, to the more technical part:

The team members who have shared access, they don't see the actual user/pass, but they have still the ability to log in using it. But once they are logged in, can't they just change the password themselves? Or otherwise wreck havok to your account?

You can uncheck the "Reveal" option for the password, but we make it very clear that it only helps against "accidental snooping". There is no way to keep a password secret from someone and at the same time let them use it. Yes, a malicious employee who's able to log into an account could take advantage of it, or write the login information on a piece of paper and keep it after they've left the company, etc. That's not what 1Password can protect you against. The idea is to share what needs to be shared, with those who need access, not with just everyone.

I would love to hear your thought on all this! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.