New Feature Request: Create Google Alerts based on card number / personal info?

stewartf
stewartf
Community Member

Why dont you create Google Alerts based on personal data such as card numbers, bank account numbers email address, etc to warn the user of any possible fraud / online credit cloning? You would have to use the users Google API account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stewartf: It's certainly something we can consider, especially if there's a lot of interest. But a lot of folks use 1Password not only for security but privacy as well. We don't currently collect user information or share it with 3rd parties (especially based on sensitive information in users' vaults!) so that would be something we'd have to approach very cautiously to make sure that it isn't too invasive and that users understand and permit what's being collected and sent. Thanks for bringing this up!

• In addition to what Brenty said, which are all excellent points imo, there is also the concern of how Google is storing or otherwise using that data. We know Google's core business is advertising. For a lot of us they probably already have a fair bit of our personal info. But many others are very wary of Google for that reason.

You would have to use the users Google API account.

This is also a concern. If this were added as an option what percentage of our users would even know what a Google API account is, let alone have one and want to use it for this purpose?

This is not to discourage the idea... I think if handled well it could be a great boon. I just have my suspicions that it may not be entirely possible to handle well.

Thanks!

Ben

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

But many others are very wary of Google for that reason.

Sorry, but I could not resist commenting on this, for it is exactly the reason I don't want anything at all to do with Google (and, for example, block all Google cookies). I appreciate others may have different views, of course.

Stephen

• Yep. You're not alone, Stephen. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.