Confused about Accounts, payment options

crw
crw
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Families

I am very confused about the new Accounts feature. It is clear to me how this change is required for the Families and Teams products. My question is, as an individual user who has historically paid for the apps as a software purchase (so not paying for the subscriptions), can I use accounts for "free?" Follow-up question, will the apps still be available for purchase in the future or will subscriptions be the only upgrade path going forward? Thanks for any info!

edit: by "use accounts," what I mean is that I have created an account and appear to have an online vault. I also have a vault that has been stored in Dropbox for years beyond count. Does the accounts feature, with the already-paid-for apps, let me use the accounts vaults for free?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

AgileBits have stated very clearly that one-time purchase will continue to be available.

There is a six-month free trial of the Individual account at the moment, but beyond that period you would have to pay if you want to use the "accounts" feature.

The account option can be more convenient, even for a long-time user, as it is very easy to set up on new devices. And if you need web access (from a third-party machine, for instance) you need this. And given that there are no extra charges for any upgrades or for any platforms, it can be worthwhile. The one real downside for some people is that you will have data stored on AgileBits servers (as well as locally), which some people dislike.

For newcomers, I feel sure that the subscription option is the best. For established users, it's not so clear, but may well be better.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @crw

I'm sorry to hear that there's been some confusion with all the new things we've come up with! danco has given you some good answers here, but I'd like to expand a little bit into it.

as an individual user who has historically paid for the apps as a software purchase (so not paying for the subscriptions), can I use accounts for "free?"

You can use the account for free for these first 6 months. Then, if you like it and you want to keep on using it you do need to pay for the service. Accounts are a hosted service, this means that we store your data and actively take care of it. That's why a one time purchase is not really a viable way to offer accounts. If you don't get a subscription you can still use 1Password and all the features you've always used.

will the apps still be available for purchase in the future or will subscriptions be the only upgrade path going forward?

danco mentioned it it already, but let me reassure you that we will continue to offer standalone licenses. You do not need to use an account, but you might find out that you want to! ;)

If there's anything else that you'd like to know or you have any other questions that we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

• crw
    crw
    Community Member

Thank you danco and Pilar for the very clear explanations. You have answered my question. Thanks!

• Glad to hear that helped. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.