Master password from previous stand-alone app?

Options
snlsn
snlsn
Community Member

Hello. I'm a long-time 1Password user on my laptop with the stand alone app. This weekend I made the move to the subscription plan (as an individual). I created a new master password for the new "Personal" vault and copied (not moved) my data which had previously been stored in Dropbox. I downloaded and installed iOS apps for phone and tablet. In preferences on the laptop, I indicated that new content should be saved in the Personal instead of the Primary vault. All cool. However, my laptop (and browser extensions) still require my previous master password. Should I change the master password on the laptop to be the same as the new one I created for the subscription plan and the Personal vault? If I do that, will it get confused between the old ("Primary") and the new ("Personal") vaults? Once I am confident that everything is solid on the new plan, should I (can I) delete the legacy "Primary" vault and remove the .agilekeychain file from Dropbox? Thank you. There's too much at stake to make uninformed decisions!

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: previously Dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:migrate, kb:undefined, kb-search:migrate

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @snlsn,

I hope you’re really enjoying the new 1Password accounts so far! I’d be happy to help you get this sorted out.

However, my laptop (and browser extensions) still require my previous master password.

This is expected behaviour. Your primary vault was the first one installed, so the Master Password for this vault is the one that will unlock 1Password and all of your secondary vaults.

Once I am confident that everything is solid on the new plan, should I (can I) delete the legacy "Primary" vault and remove the .agilekeychain file from Dropbox?

Whether or not you choose to keep your primary vault is up to you, but if you are currently storing all of your data in the 1Password account, there’s no need to keep the primary vault. We’ve got a support article that can help you migrate all your data into the 1Password account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

The article also includes instructions on how to remove the primary vault after you’re done, if you’d like.

Should I change the master password on the laptop to be the same as the new one I created for the subscription plan and the Personal vault?

If you would like to keep your primary vault around, you certainly can. In that case, it’s up to you whether you would like to change the Master Password of your primary vault to the Master Password of your account.

There's too much at stake to make uninformed decisions!

I hope this helps to inform your choices, but if you have more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. We know how important your password data is, and we want to be sure you’re confident about how it is stored. :)

• snlsn
    snlsn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Let me apologize in advance for being dense. I'm still trying to wrap my head around "expected behavior." I did read the article and watch the video tutorial you reference before committing to the subscription service. I did migrate my data without incident to the "Personal" vault. (I used "copy" instead of "move" for this.) It works fine on both my iOS devices with the (new) password I created for my subscription account. On the laptop, I set preferences so that new content will go into the Personal vault on the 1Password account. I'm perplexed by why the laptop doesn't let me unlock 1Password with the new password. I want to stay true to the, well, ONE password! Can I assume that when the time comes that I'm completely comfortable with the new account and actually delete the original, Primary vault I presume this will take care of unifying the master password? Is there any way on the laptop to effectively "ignore" the original, now unused vault?

• Hi @snisn,

Thanks for writing in with your question, hopefully I'll be able to answer it.

The laptop is definitely still using the Primary vault's password as the means to unlock 1Password.app. It isn't currently in a state where the 1Password Account has been promoted to that role yet.

When do you get to the point where you delete your primary vault, it will guide you through a process of promoting your 1Password Account to be the password you unlock 1Password.app with.

If the current master password and the 1Password Account's passwords differ currently the window will prompt you for both of them individually, but you will end up with the 1Password Account's password as the one you use to unlock 1Password with.

If you want to ignore the Primary vault in the mean time, you can open the 1Password preferences window and click on the All Vaults tab. You can then uncheck the Primary vault there and its contents will no longer be a part of the All Vaults view.

Hopefully this answers all your questions but let us know if you have any more!

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.