Start Anew, BUT with Existing Data

qraig
qraig
Community Member

Here is my problem, I can’t believe it’s rare but I can’t find a SIMPLE solution.

I have several Macintoshes, as well as mobile devices, all of which use 1Password. All of which sync to the same Dropbox 1Password “vault”. (I put vault in quotation marks because

It should be clean and simple. Instead, it’s a mess. Though they’re all syncing to the same place and ostensibly putting the same data in front of my eyes, they all LOOK different, i.e. they have different vaults with different names and different defaults. It is offensive to any sense of order.

So what I want to do: for example, on Macintosh X, I want to DELETE 1Password and just start over. I don’t want to delete my data from Dropbox, obviously, I want to delete 1Password the app and all its preferences so that when I try to install it again it won’t repopulate all the previous preferences, vaults, etc, thinking it’s doing me a favor. I want to start from SCRATCH, but be able to pour my old data (data, not vaults) in. (FYI, when I search the forums for “start from scratch”, they assume that means start with ZERO data, and that is not what I want.) And once I’ve got it clean and right on one machine, I want to go to each machine/device, delete, and start again there too. That way, at the end of the process, all the machines will look EXACTLY the same and going forward will stay the same, in sync.

How can I do this? Everything I’ve tried doesn’t work. Can you help me. Am I being clear about what I want to do? If no one else has this problem then I’m obviously doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Craig Swanson

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.11.6, iOS 10 (beta)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:start from scratch

Comments

• Hi @qraig,

Thanks for writing in with your question. It actually is quite simple indeed, but you will need to update to at least 1Password 6.3 in order to make use of the menu item described in https://support.1password.com/starting-over/. This will wipe out all the 1Password settings and databases, but leave any backups that it might've made on the backups tab in preferences in the event you ever do want to restore from one of those backups. It won't touch your Dropbox vault files as those aren't the primary storage of that vault information, those are simply to act as a courier to transfer the data between machines.

After going through the start over procedure you will relaunch 1Password and be greeted with the First Run window as if you had just installed 1Password. You would then choose to setup a new vault or choose to import your data from another source.

Let us know if you run into any problems or have any additional questions.

Rudy

• qraig
    qraig
    Community Member

Well the reinstall launched several times (including system restarts) with a blank app window. But the 3rd time it finally came up and seems to have worked. Thanks for your help.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @qraig

On behalf of rudy, you're welcome! I'm sorry it was a bit more complicated than it should have, but it's great that it's all sorted out. If you need help with anything else, we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.