"Large Type" line wrapping splits words with diceware pw

twilsonco
twilsonco
Community Member

When a "words" (diceware) PW is made, 1P displays the resulting password without regard to keeping words whole when wrapping lines (see images). Given the "words" recipe—you select a single delimiter that is used consistently—text wrapping should avoid breaking words. This is especially annoying when a "space" is used as the delimiter.
When the password is generated, however, lines are wrapped so that words are kept whole.
Another option would be to somehow notate that a word is being split, with some type of symbol or text formatting. See the last two images for a concept using a "line return" arrow.

1Password Version: 6.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:large type wrapping

1.jpg 99.8K
2.jpg 112.7K
3.jpg 117.6K
4.jpg 124.1K
5.jpg 128.9K

Comments

• Hi @twilsonco

Thanks for taking the time to share this. Unfortunately this is not an easy problem to solve. At present login items don't know if a password was generated by 1Password or not, and as such they have no way of knowing if the password is word based or not (there just isn't a database field that tracks that). We might be able to do some semi-intelligent splitting based on spaces, but at present spaces are treated the same as any other character in a password.

We do certainly appreciate that you took the time to report this. I can see how it would be annoying. I'll pass the feedback along but I suspect this is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Ben

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

It would contradict the "large" part, but have an option to force the password to a single line (as in 1P for MacOS)? Could be a button that appears below the modal "large type" window to toggle from single/multi line?

• @twilsonco,

You must have much better eyes than I do because I'm sure if you forced a password as long as most diceware passwords onto a single line on an iPhone there is no way I could read it. The text would have to be impossibly small. :(

Ben

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

I agree. It would just be so that a user can see which words are being split when soft-wrapped. So I'd know that the fourth piece of illegible pixels are really one word, when I'd wrap it again to read it.
    Admittedly, it's probably a better solution to have a database field for weather a passwords was generated as a "words" password and to wrap at the delimiter.

• Admittedly, it's probably a better solution to have a database field for weather a passwords was generated as a "words" password and to wrap at the delimiter.

Agreed. :)

Hopefully we can come up with something like that in the future.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.