Windows 7 - Updated 1Password Chrome Extension -- This can't be correct?

I updated to the newest extension and the UI is completely different -- not in a good way. Please tell me the screenshot below isn't accurate for the new update...

1Password Version: 4.xx
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @chavenor,

That looks correct, that is the 1Password 4 Helper's UI for 1Password 4 extensions. We've been using that UI design since 1Password 4 was released back in 2014.

Did you update from the 1Password 3.x extensions? In that case, the 1Password 4.x extension has no UI or data anymore, so all of the data is processed by the native UI that's rendered by the main 1Password 4 program.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chavenor: When you say you updated, can you tell us from what? That appears to be the 1Password 4 browser extension. Were you previously using the 1Password 6 beta with a 1Password Account? Thanks in advance!

• chavenor
    chavenor
    Community Member

@MikeT @brenty

I added 1Password to my Mac and added the Chrome extension there. I thought I got the latest update perhaps that isn't the case.

When I got back to my Win 7 machine the layout was completely different.
    Is it possible that the extension is the newest but I need to update my 1Password on my Win7 desktop? Looks like I'm running Version 4.6.0.604 on my Win machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chavenor: 4.6.0.604 is the current stable version of 1Password for Windows, and it looks different than the Mac version, as shown in your screenshot above. Similarly, 4.5.9.90 is the current stable 1Password extension. Unfortunately I think the confusion may stem from the fact that while you'll be using the same browser extension on each platform, the extension itself has no user interface. It is the main 1Password app which displays that, which is why they look different between the Mac and PC. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

• chavenor
    chavenor
    Community Member

@brenty ETA on making the Win UI Match the Mac version anytime soon?
    If not... How do I got back to my previous browser extension in Windows UI but keep chrome on my Mac working as well?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chavenor: Just to be clear, we don't have plans to make the Mac and Windows versions look identical. After all, many folks are using our OS of choice out of personal preference over the other. If we make them both look like the Mac, it will seem out of place on Windows, and vice versa; and of course a Frankenstein 1Password app would be out of place on both platforms!

Instead, our focus is to make the apps work the same way between platforms (as much as possible, given technical differences). Right now we're working on the beta for 1Password Accounts, and we'll be doing the same for local vault support after that as well.

And to answer your question about Chrome, again, the same browser extensions are used on both Mac and Windows. You'll need them installed in each browser you want to use with 1Password:

1Password browser extensions

But the legacy browser extensions are not supported on either platform due to security concerns since they are rather old and are no longer receiving updates. Is there something you're trying to do in the browser that we can help with? Let us know! :)

• Hi @chavenor,

If I understand the situation correctly, the reason why the older 1Password browser extension was replaced by the newer one in Chrome on your Windows 7 PC, was because you installed it on your Mac and enabled extension sync in Chrome.

The current 1Password Chrome extension is the same across OS X and Windows, but it looks different on Windows.
    The reason for this is that the interface you see when you click the extension button is not defined by the extension you install but by the 1Password background app on each system. On OS X we call this 1Password mini on Windows it's the 1Password Helper.

There is a way to get the old 1Password browser extension back in Windows but I wouldn't recommend it for a couple of reasons:
    1. You would have to disable browser extension sync in Chrome to prevent the browser from replacing the old extension with the new one.
    2. The new 1Password browser extension has a great number of new features, including security improvements.
    3. The new extension has much better filling routines than the old one.

Apart from that, I'd like to expand on a point Brenty made: We are working on a new version of 1Password for Windows in which the 1Password browser extension looks almost exactly like the counterpart on OS X, behaves similarly, but all while feeling at home on a Windows system.

Oh and one quick tip, because I have a hunch that you're used to using the search feature in the extension on the Mac: The extension on Windows has a search feature as well. Click the button and simply start typing the name of a login. You will see results almost immediately.

I hope this helps.

Have a great weekend!

Alex

This discussion has been closed.